10 Essential Home Armorer/Gunsmith Tools

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

TFB Armorer’s Bench

1628524353219.png

TFB Armorer’s Bench

View attachment 19653
i do have many small hand tools, but no reference books. i am only doing small things for the time being. i'd like to get to a gunsmithing school but none are in my state, and frankly, i'd rather not learn online, with no full compliment set of tools, lathes, etc.

I don't have any vise blocks or bench blocks, but need to get some. Magwell blocks for AR10s and AR15s plus geissele reaction rods for both are a must have. Just started building bolt guns (savage mla so far) and have barrel nut wrench and action tool that is a vise mounted piece. I haven't started any bedding yet, but soon. I always keep pen/pencil and paper near by. I think tooooooooo much. Good topic, Talyn!

I'd like to have some bench blocks. I made a couple for things like driving in trigger guard pins. I have a magwell block. I keep going back and forth between getting a Tipton gun vice or just doing the right thing and getting a serious 360 degree multiple cam bench vise.

I'd like to have some bench blocks. I made a couple for things like driving in trigger guard pins. I have a magwell block. I keep going back and forth between getting a Tipton gun vice or just doing the right thing and getting a serious 360 degree multiple cam bench vise.
The Tipton gun vises are mostly designed for cleaning firearms but you can do light gunsmithing maintenance with them. You would be better off grabbing a real bench top vise, bench block, barrel clamp, & a reaction rod for more serious work such as building AR's or adding accessories to a firearm.

As an honorable mention, what about a torque screwdriver for installing red dot sights and mounting plates?
It's in the tool section :unsure: ? Just kidding. Good call! Lyman has been having a good deal on theirs. Before theirs came out I bought another brand that cost me almost twice having the same set. If your building ARs get a 1/2" drive and may possibly get away with a 3/8" up to 75flb (that's light for 1/2"). Some torque has ranged from 40 to 65flb. Get antisieze (some say for aluminum or ss) for specific applications. Blue loc, but red is ill advised. You might want to get the gb off 1 day.

I would like to buy more tools, but the cost of new tools is insanely high. I am not referring to the initial purchase price. Whenever I buy a new tool, I automatically overestimate my ability to effectively use it. This leads to a tremendous amount of lost time, and the cost of replacement parts and shipping for all the springs and other tiny pieces that I manage to launch across the garage.

I eventually learn how perform whatever maintenance task I'm watching on Youtube, but almost never on my first try. If we ever move, I'm going to give the new owner an 80% lower (assuming he/she is legally able to own a firearm). I'm pretty sure they could use the lower to assemble a halfway decent rifle, if they find all of the tiny parts I have left scattered throughout the property.

Thanks Talyn, Good simple article to get things started or rolling with.
Tools? - There almost should be a permanent tool section or column in/on the Armory Life for different tools, new tools, specialty tools, tips, ideas, pointers and other info for bench topping firearms. Call it the Benchtop Corner? There's likely more other tools available to work on firearms as there is firearms? Fair warning: Collecting almost any kind of tool can be addictive. :)

Tools? - There almost should be a permanent tool section or column in/on the Armory Life for different tools, new tools, specialty tools, tips, ideas, pointers and other info for bench topping firearms. Call it the Benchtop Corner? There's likely more other tools available to work on firearms as there is firearms? Fair warning: Collecting almost any kind of tool can be addictive. :)
I agree. You have my vote on a new section.

As an honorable mention, what about a torque screwdriver for installing red dot sights and mounting plates?
You beat me to it and not just that, some platforms require you to torque-down barrel clamps when changing calibers or doing full tear down cleanings, etc.

The Sig MCX Virtus comes immediately to mind.

It just so happens I have a hockey puck. Can you guys post some pics of yours so I can figure out where to remove material ?

To glom on to my old comment up there, I ended up with a 50 lb completely rotational bench vise.

Back