testtest

10, or 15

Sld1959

Hellcat
Ok, have been spending time deliberating on something to buy. 1911s are definitely on the mind but lately have been considering something I have never owned, nor really considered strongly, a high cap pistol. So I am considering the merits of 10 and 15 capacities.

I have really never felt, underarmed as it were, even just dropping a jframe in a pocket. But, events of the past couple years just have seemed to put a niggle of , ummm, doubt?

I would be considering things that would be consider compact, or smaller, I want close to service capability but conceakable. I have looked at various options, Cz p01, sig p320 compact, Sig p365 xl, and a few others.

So, in this world we live in does 15 make that big a difference over say a commander with a 10 round magazine?

Realistically?

No.

I mean, if it’s going to make you feel all warm & fuzzy, by all means, get a fat-bottomed (ie, doublestack) blaster. I’d recommend adding the HK VP9 to that list, if you do.

But, statistically? You’ll never need that extra 5 or so rounds; in the highly unlikely event that you actually use your weapon in self defense, the vast odds are your J-frame will do you fine, with a couple rounds left over.

It all depends on your intended use of the pistol. Is this mostly a range toy or are you planning to daily carry?

I'm a big fan of higher capacity but I typically carry a single stack compact pistol appendix for comfort.

All three pistols you listed are very good choices and for concealed carry I look at reliability, size, & weight when choosing.

Have you looked at 5he CZ P-10C as an option? Great trigger higher capacity, known reliability, & lighter weight then a lot of choice's in it's class.

Ok, have been spending time deliberating on something to buy. 1911s are definitely on the mind but lately have been considering something I have never owned, nor really considered strongly, a high cap pistol. So I am considering the merits of 10 and 15 capacities.

I have really never felt, underarmed as it were, even just dropping a jframe in a pocket. But, events of the past couple years just have seemed to put a niggle of , ummm, doubt?

I would be considering things that would be consider compact, or smaller, I want close to service capability but conceakable. I have looked at various options, Cz p01, sig p320 compact, Sig p365 xl, and a few others.

So, in this world we live in does 15 make that big a difference over say a commander with a 10 round magazine?
Are you from California?...lol Because, in the land of the free, we call the magazines that come with the firearm standard capacity no matter if its 22 rounds like the XDm Elite.
You asked "
So, in this world we live in does 15 make that big a difference over say a commander with a 10 round magazine?"

In my opinion round count matters. Criminals and gang members rarely commit crimes by themselves. Add in the fact that in a combat scenario where they are moving and so are you, i.e. self defense where you are fighting to stay alive, or protect your loved ones, you may not land every shot you take to stop the threat. Even if you choose a lower round count option, carry extra mags.

Are you from California?...lol Because, in the land of the free, we call the magazines that come with the firearm standard capacity no matter if its 22 rounds like the XDm Elite.
You asked "
So, in this world we live in does 15 make that big a difference over say a commander with a 10 round magazine?"

In my opinion round count matters. Criminals and gang members rarely commit crimes by themselves. Add in the fact that in a combat scenario where they are moving and so are you, i.e. self defense where you are fighting to stay alive, or protect your loved ones, you may not land every shot you take to stop the threat. Even if you choose a lower round count option, carry extra mags.
No, I just used the term to differentiate between different magazine capacities, sorry if it offended your sensibilities.

Hans is correct, but personally I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I echo his suggestion for the VP9 as well.
If you do go compact I’d look at the new Shield plus. Barely bigger than a standard Shield but I think they have 12 or 13 rd. capacity.

I have the Sig P365XL and it's a very nice weapon. Precise too. A bit to long for EDC, I did try it, but I keep going back to my Hellcat.
I could not find the P365 when I bought my Hellcat, otherwise maybe I would have got that one.

Both those are in the 1-1/2 stack game - 12 to 13 rounds. 15 with longer magazines.

Check out the Ruger Max 9 as well. I held one at the gun store today. They are 12+1 capacity. I carry the XDS 9 with Pearce grip extensions and it fits my beefy hands. The Ruger Max 9 also fits my hands VERY well, but has 5 rounds more than the XDS.

Oh, and I will generally opt for the gun that will 1. Fit the most comfortably and 2. Give me the greatest capacity.

Check out the Ruger Max 9 as well. I held one at the gun store today. They are 12+1 capacity. I carry the XDS 9 with Pearce grip extensions and it fits my beefy hands. The Ruger Max 9 also fits my hands VERY well, but has 5 rounds more than the XDS.

Oh, and I will generally opt for the gun that will 1. Fit the most comfortably and 2. Give me the greatest capacity.
I looked at the ruger, but, if I am going for a larger capacity, striker, poly pistol it absolutely must have a rail. And be optics ready. Just a preference I have in my head.

Like many of the other posters, I've found 12+1 or 13+1 to be the sweet spot for concealed carry. I've carried the Sig Sauer P365 since it was released. The P365 with a 12-round magazine fits my hand well, but is still easily concealable. I went with the Sig, but the Springfield Hellcat, S&W Shield Plus, and Ruger Max9 are excellent choices as well. Even my backup/pocket gun is the new Ruger LCP Max with 10+1 or 12+1 rounds of .380.

The main reason that I recommend these guns is that they all offer increased capacity while being almost exactly the same size as single-stack guns from just a few years back. While you are statistically unlikely to ever need more than 3 rounds in a defensive situation, you never hear of anyone saying, "I just wish I had less ammo in my gun", after a justified shooting.

I’ve got a P365 and I use 10 round mags because I like to pocket carry, but I keep a 15 rounder with me just in case 10 doesn’t get the job done.

I’ve also got a 10 round Commander which I actually prefer because it’s .45 but I can’t pocket carry. I also carry an extra mag with that, but I think if 10 rounds of .45 acp doesn’t get the job done I’ve got bigger problems.

I carry 12+1 in my 365 XL, and an extra 12 rd mag. The 15rd mag rattles when not loaded in the magwell, so it's not an option for carry, atleast to me. If I could effectively conceal my 1911, i'd carry that and not even think twice about it only being 8+1. If I did carry it, i'd probably get a double mag holder, and end up with the same overall capacity as the XL.

Round count is nice, but it's not the biggest factor when considering my carry weapon, especially when I will almost always carry atleast 1 spare mag in my loadout. Just my personal experience/preference.

My microcompact Springfield hellcat carries 13+1 (original equipment, no modifications). My Glock 19 carries 15+1.
Hell, as small as some are, consider carrying an AR pistol with a folding brace in a backpack. Chamber it in whatever you want: 9mm, 45, 5.56, 300 Blackout... With that setup, it's easily feasible to have over 30+1 or even 60+1 if you do a drum magazine.

Depends on where you live, I reckon. Riots and road blocking are always in the forefront of my mind but I also don't live in the country.

Nothing like this going on anywhere near me but I'm always looking ahead and prepared for a u-turn or other evasive action to escape, legal or not, before getting involved in one of these situations But I train for them nevertheless.

Back