testtest

10mm vs 45 ACP — Which is Better?

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
Interesting article/video where Paul Harrell talks about which cartridge he feels is a better performer. Tests were conducted using Glocks G20 & G21 while using the same brands of Ammo in each caliber. Video runs 21 minutes.

That's how I started Ghost. Now I have several (all the Glock models. Springfield's TRP and XDm, Sig P220, Colt Delta Elite and Ruger SR1911). I guess now I'll have to add a 10mm PCC or 2 to my bucket list ;):LOL:
I would like to have a 220, but 8 rounds is meh! That's the killer for me. Kember ice in 10 would be cool! I do have 2 10mm ppc that are wonderful! 45 does kick less, but 10 is so perfect!

Below is PSA link showing the finish:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-p220-10mm-kryptek-pistol.html

1626822020744.png

Accuracy and training

when you cannot hit me with the 10mm or the .45 because you have no clue on handguns and didnt train, it really doesnt matter.

when I hit you double tap in the head with the .22 , the coroner doesn’t really care.

not an attack on any post or member, but all dialogue on caliber is irrelevant if you miss

all the caliber vs caliber go out the window daily unless in a controlled environment and target

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but didn’t Jeff Cooper help to get the 10mm going, even though he was a .45 man, personally I think what ever you prefer of can shoot proficiently is fine.
The Colonel was invested in the 10mm because he was looking for a cartridge that gave less drop and more punch at extended range. He also advocated the single/double action pistol design of CZ and what was then called the Bren 10.
He envisioned this as the best all round cartridge for LE and military use. It was roundly rejected by both as standard issue due to the average Joe and Jane's difficulties in handling the additional recoil generated by the higher velocities.
Some would have you believe it is the ballistic equivalent of the 44 Remington Magnum for use as bear defense; however, it is my opinion this contention is false AND the 44 is marginal at best when dealing with angered/protective brown bears.
Of course, anything (including the 22) is better than resorting to harsh language!

In my opinion the 10mm is a died in the wool shooter's gun, and more suited to hunting and critter defense. I often use mine to dispatch wild hogs caught in my traps and it drops them like a stone. Although my .45 acp will also get the job done. The weight of most 10mm guns is such that most folks won't be comfortable carrying it as an every day carry gun. Then there is the pounding one takes from recoil-not so noticeable from a couple mags but run through a high round count course of fire with it and you will feel it. Recoil, report, and muzzle flash have always been a barrier to getting recruits trained and qualified with magnum-class calibers. The difficulty of getting recruits qualified with the 10mm and weight was the reason the FBI dropped it. That brought about the .40 S&W, but even that presented training challenges, so now we are back to the 9mm in policing. I will continue carrying my P220 in 45 for my daily carry, and the P220 10mm comes out for hunts and hog killing. Here are a couple 10 mm slugs I dug out of hogs-the flat one hit bone, and the other one passed through the hog and was just under the hide on the other side.

Accuracy and training

when you cannot hit me with the 10mm or the .45 because you have no clue on handguns and didnt train, it really doesnt matter.

when I hit you double tap in the head with the .22 , the coroner doesn’t really care.

not an attack on any post or member, but all dialogue on caliber is irrelevant if you miss

all the caliber vs caliber go out the window daily unless in a controlled environment and target
Fair enough point, however it’s largely irrelevant here I suspect as most of us probably shoot as good as you do. Because we shoot a lot and train a lot like you do.

Interesting article/video where Paul Harrell talks about which cartridge he feels is a better performer. Tests were conducted using Glocks G20 & G21 while using the same brands of Ammo in each caliber. Video runs 21 minutes.

An excellent video, well worth the time to watch

That's how I started Ghost. Now I have several (all the Glock models. Springfield's TRP and XDm, Sig P220, Colt Delta Elite and Ruger SR1911). I guess now I'll have to add a 10mm PCC or 2 to my bucket list ;):LOL:
I've been looking at the Glock 29. Apparently it will take the full sized Glock 20 15-round mags and they make a sleeve for the mag. The Glock 29 looks to be at least decently concealable.

Back