testtest

135gr 40S&W Frangible Bullets (Sinterfire) - First Shots

markr6754

Elite
Founding Member
Appears I never posted about my (score)...2000 bullets, 135gr Frangible Sinterfire bullets, 1/2 price at Midway USA. All initial testing done with inert (Dummy) rounds to check feeding, magazine loading, and ability to take apart via impact puller. Due to the break potential of frangible bullets I didn’t even bother trying my Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller. No problem with plastic hammer.

First ladder test shots:

Okay, so I checked out all of the load data I could find for Sinterfire bullets. The two 40 S&W bullets with load data are 105gr and 125gr...nothing for 135gr. The data lists Universal w/125gr Sinterfire bullets, starting 4.7gr and up to 5.3gr. COL of 1.125”

I started my loads at 4.3gr, and 1.140” COL, loading 10 rds and moving up 0.1gr increments to finish at 4.6gr, just under the starting load for the 125gr Sinterfire. However, this is a really long bullet, and seating to 1.125” puts the ogive below the case mouth. I loaded to keep the smallest bit of bearing surface to the case mouth. Pulling these rounds apart can only be done with an impact bullet puller as there is no surface for a cam lock puller to grab. Still, I had 40 rounds loaded for this trial.

The chamber of my SA EMP lets me load these bullets out to 1.155” if needed, and still cycle flawlessly (dummy rounds), so I knew that 1.140” would be fine. But it really wasn’t, at least not at these charges.
No chrony, so I’m loading for accuracy and cycling, not velocity.

4.3gr - SA EMP doesn’t cycle, most cases fail to exit the firearm. Softer than a mouse fart. I had to manually eject the 1st round, and numerous whole, unburned kernels of Universal fell of the case.

4.4gr - Slight increase in slide action, a few cases ejected, and a few chambered the next round...still feeling mouse farts.

4.5gr - Some rounds fully cycle, some rounds fail to eject...sorta a gerbil fart, counting on 4.6gr to become actual starting load.

4.6gr - nope, this isn’t the base load either. Most rounds fully cycled, cases appear clean, most accurate load, and best cycling of the ladder, but still not a reliably functioning load. I’m thinking of starting at this charge weight, laddering up to 5.0gr and doing two ladders - one at 1.140” as shot today, and another seated to 1.135”, knowing that the bearing surface may be wholly inside the case. If this is so, I may need a bit more crimp to ensure there isn’t an edge at the case mouth.

Stay tuned.

My first trial loads for these bullets with Universal proved interesting. I started with the load for 125gr bullets and stepped down. 4.3gr to 4.6gr at 1.140” shot well, but none of them cycled my Springfield EMP 3”, though the 4.6gr load came close.

This time I increased the ladder, starting with 4.6gr, working up to 5.1gr, with an additional 5 rounds of 4.6gr seated to 1.135”. The original 4.6gr load still failed to cycle, but all higher loads cycled well, as did the 5 shorter 4.6gr rounds.

I’d previously conjectured that proper functioning would occur at 4.8gr. This was true, though the 4.6gr, 1.135” load also functioned well. Nonetheless, the 5.1gr load was awesome.
Any of these rounds would serve my needs, but I could use the 5.1gr load for carry. I’ll load more and test for accuracy, though these bullets fly true.

So far we have 3 people testing loads for this bullet. Its profile is the lightest bullet for 40 S&W (also 10mm) while also the longest projectiles for this caliber. Comparing the published load data for Sinterfire's 125gr Frangible bullets shows them working will utilizing 165gr plated bullet load data. The tested loads to date match quite nicely with Hodgdon 180gr grain plated bullet load data. My own tests with Universal show that 4.6gr shoot quite nicely when seated to 1.135", but have cycling issues at 1.140", my preferred length for this profile.

Another reloader tested HP38 at 4.2gr to 5.6gr. The 4,2gr loads were extremely light from his firearm, and probably won't think of cycling my Springfield EMP. He took these loads all the way to 5.6gr, reporting no pressure issues, and good felt recoil. I'm sure loading these to 1.138" (Glock 23) made the difference.

Lastly, Blue Dot was tried by another fellow, but he only provided single data points: 7.5gr Blue Dot for 40 S&W, 10gr Blue Dot for 10mm. Still trying to verify his COL, as he had indicated that Sinterfire specifies 1.120" for all 40 S&W loads (which I find impossible to believe).

Obviously, every loader would need to develop their own loads to match their chamber and firearm, but at least this data should get you in the ballpark.

So...these are fun rounds, and suitable for any purpose from plinking to self-defense. AND they are 7.5 cents per round. Try to find a better price for .40 S&W (aside from do it yourself lead).
Hodgdon 180gr Load Data.jpg

Nice write-ups.

I don’t think I’d use them as defensive rounds, myself, unless they were the only thing available. Frangibles like that tend not to fragment in flesh, and when they do, you get exceedingly shallow wounds. Worst of both worlds, the way I see it.

Nice write-ups.

I don’t think I’d use them as defensive rounds, myself, unless they were the only thing available. Frangibles like that tend not to fragment in flesh, and when they do, you get exceedingly shallow wounds. Worst of both worlds, the way I see it.
Thanks for the feedback. It’s a fun project...

Here’s where I got the idea that this could make good self-defense ammo. If it wasn’t selling at Cheaper Than Dirt, price gouges in chief, I’d buy a box just to find out what’s inside. More importantly, what the C.O.L. is in factory ammo.

“Never before released on the civilian market! Winchester Ranger Sinterfire Frangible .40 S&W ammo features a 135 grain 100% lead free copper/tin composite full metal jacket bullet. The Winchester Ranger line of ammo utilizes the highest quality projectiles that money can buy. This Winchester Ranger FMJ ammunition is the same that is used by the Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers. This Winchester Ranger .40 S&W has a muzzle velocity of 1160 feet per second and muzzle energy of 403 foot pounds. Winchester Ranger ammo is non-corrosive, reloadable, features brass cases and Boxer primers.”

Thanks for the feedback. It’s a fun project...

Here’s where I got the idea that this could make good self-defense ammo. If it wasn’t selling at Cheaper Than Dirt, price gouges in chief, I’d buy a box just to find out what’s inside. More importantly, what the C.O.L. is in factory ammo.

“Never before released on the civilian market! Winchester Ranger Sinterfire Frangible .40 S&W ammo features a 135 grain 100% lead free copper/tin composite full metal jacket bullet. The Winchester Ranger line of ammo utilizes the highest quality projectiles that money can buy. This Winchester Ranger FMJ ammunition is the same that is used by the Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers. This Winchester Ranger .40 S&W has a muzzle velocity of 1160 feet per second and muzzle energy of 403 foot pounds. Winchester Ranger ammo is non-corrosive, reloadable, features brass cases and Boxer primers.”

That Ranger round is sold as a training-only round to LE; it can be used safely against steel at extreme close range without fear of ricochet or fragments, as well as in 360° range “shoot houses”...and the lead free component helps as being “green” as well.

It's not a duty load.

I’m ready to move on to other powders for these 135gr Sinterfire projectiles. Got out and shot my latest proof rounds with Universal shooting 4.8gr at 1.135” COL, and 5.0gr at 1.140” COL, both with CCI 500 primers.

Based on previous testing using 4.8gr Universal at 1.140”, recoil and full cycling weren’t quite there. Seating .005” deeper made a significant difference with solid performance, and a good recoil, and clean ejection and lock back. Still, I’m not comfortable seating these projectiles past the ogive, thus the purpose for 5.0gr Universal at 1.140”. All of the positive comments remain true, with just a slighter increase in felt recoil.

I started tonight’s shooting running 165gr JHP RN from Everglades Ammo, over 7.3gr of CFE-Pistol, seated to 1.125”. It was harsh, quite an unpleasant load. I’m not sure what lead me to select this recipe...it was an unnecessary test of 40 S&W power that I hope to never repeat. I’ll have to try those rounds in my Beretta PX4 Storm to see if a longer barrel can tame the load, otherwise, I’ll be pulling out my Hornady Cam Loc Bullet Puller for the second time this month.

Appears I never posted about my (score)...2000 bullets, 135gr Frangible Sinterfire bullets, 1/2 price at Midway USA. All initial testing done with inert (Dummy) rounds to check feeding, magazine loading, and ability to take apart via impact puller. Due to the break potential of frangible bullets I didn’t even bother trying my Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller. No problem with plastic hammer.

First ladder test shots:

Okay, so I checked out all of the load data I could find for Sinterfire bullets. The two 40 S&W bullets with load data are 105gr and 125gr...nothing for 135gr. The data lists Universal w/125gr Sinterfire bullets, starting 4.7gr and up to 5.3gr. COL of 1.125”

I started my loads at 4.3gr, and 1.140” COL, loading 10 rds and moving up 0.1gr increments to finish at 4.6gr, just under the starting load for the 125gr Sinterfire. However, this is a really long bullet, and seating to 1.125” puts the ogive below the case mouth. I loaded to keep the smallest bit of bearing surface to the case mouth. Pulling these rounds apart can only be done with an impact bullet puller as there is no surface for a cam lock puller to grab. Still, I had 40 rounds loaded for this trial.

The chamber of my SA EMP lets me load these bullets out to 1.155” if needed, and still cycle flawlessly (dummy rounds), so I knew that 1.140” would be fine. But it really wasn’t, at least not at these charges.
No chrony, so I’m loading for accuracy and cycling, not velocity.

4.3gr - SA EMP doesn’t cycle, most cases fail to exit the firearm. Softer than a mouse fart. I had to manually eject the 1st round, and numerous whole, unburned kernels of Universal fell of the case.

4.4gr - Slight increase in slide action, a few cases ejected, and a few chambered the next round...still feeling mouse farts.

4.5gr - Some rounds fully cycle, some rounds fail to eject...sorta a gerbil fart, counting on 4.6gr to become actual starting load.

4.6gr - nope, this isn’t the base load either. Most rounds fully cycled, cases appear clean, most accurate load, and best cycling of the ladder, but still not a reliably functioning load. I’m thinking of starting at this charge weight, laddering up to 5.0gr and doing two ladders - one at 1.140” as shot today, and another seated to 1.135”, knowing that the bearing surface may be wholly inside the case. If this is so, I may need a bit more crimp to ensure there isn’t an edge at the case mouth.

Stay tuned.
I know this is an old thread but this information may help someone. I too scored 2,000 135 grain SinterFire frangible bullets not knowing that was little to no reloading data. I have several pounds of Unique that I bought when powder was scarce that I wanted to use and this is what I did using a Beretta PX4 Storm full size with a 4" barrel. I also don't have a chronograph so I loaded for function and accuracy.

135 Grain Frangible C.O.A.L 1.140 Powder Alliant Unique Primer Winchester SP Standard

4.9 Grains Didn't operate slide

5.2 Grains Barely operated slide but didn't fully eject empties

5.6 Grains Operated slide but had some stove pipe

6.0 Grains Operate slide fine. No stovepipes. Recoil light and but only ejected empties a couple of feet.
Fills case with zero compression. hits POI

6.4 Grains zero malfunctions. Recoil moderate. Ejected empties 4-5 feet. Burned fairly clean for Unique.
Fills case with zero to very slight compression. Hits POI

I know this is an old thread but this information may help someone. I too scored 2,000 135 grain SinterFire frangible bullets not knowing that was little to no reloading data. I have several pounds of Unique that I bought when powder was scarce that I wanted to use and this is what I did using a Beretta PX4 Storm full size with a 4" barrel. I also don't have a chronograph so I loaded for function and accuracy.

135 Grain Frangible C.O.A.L 1.140 Powder Alliant Unique Primer Winchester SP Standard

4.9 Grains Didn't operate slide

5.2 Grains Barely operated slide but didn't fully eject empties

5.6 Grains Operated slide but had some stove pipe

6.0 Grains Operate slide fine. No stovepipes. Recoil light and but only ejected empties a couple of feet.
Fills case with zero compression. hits POI

6.4 Grains zero malfunctions. Recoil moderate. Ejected empties 4-5 feet. Burned fairly clean for Unique.
Fills case with zero to very slight compression. Hits POI
I know there are better powders than Unique and Bullseye, but I've used them for years and that's what I have. It just so happens that I have the most of Unique so that is what I used for the 135 frangibles.

Yep…old thread, but nice to see some new action. One thing we began to understand when loading for this pew pew is that 180gr load data puts you in the ballpark. One load app I use shows a Speer GDHP load as 6.7gr max Unique for 180gr, so you started quite low…as you learned.
Also, these guys can be loaded amazingly long. While the specs for 40 S&W show a max of 1.135” COL, that’s just the shortest load when using these guys…at least for me. I hate seating the bullet past the Ogive, so I don’t do it.
I’d love to find another clearance on these, though I still have plenty. I haven’t done much with 40 S&W lately.

Update: I went to the range and shot a couple boxes of my 135 Frangible and they shot great. Recoil was surprisingly soft. It was more of a push than a snap. Accurate and fun to shoot that didn't break the bank. Thanks for the info, I will use the 180 grain load data as a starting point for some of my other powders.

Just remember to start low, and keep longer COL as you work up. There’s so little published data, even less for the 135gr Sinterfire rounds, which must have been targeted to 10mm loads. Be cautious with anything you pick up from the internet. I used 2 firearms in testing…Beretta PX4 Storm and Springfield EMP. Recoil is softer with the PX4s longer barrel.

Back