testtest

18 Year Olds Conceal and Carry

SinisterKid76

Operator
What are your thoughts on 18 year olds being able to conceal and carry?

After July 1st in Kansas, 18 year olds can apply for permits to conceal and carry. My daughter will turn 18 later this year and she is mature enough to carry and has plenty of experience with firearms and I'm going to have her apply but I'm curious what you think about 18 year olds carrying overall.

I am not comfortable with this. But, it depends on the 18 year old
I'm with HayesGreener. After teaching high school seniors for many years in a semi-urban school I can see lots of potential problems. Just because you're 18 doesn't mean you're intelligent and mature enough to carry a gun. It does depend on the 18 year old, but I'm not sure how you determine who can carry and who can't if intelligence and maturity are factored into the equation. Same deal with getting a driver's license.

I really wish firearm safety classes could be tax deductible. It'd be an incentive for people to seek professional training. And professional trainers would be in demand. Kids grow up not knowing safety and the dangers of firearms. There are even parents that don't know safety either.

I dunno… but like HayesG and Recuse I’m not entirely comfortable with it either.
Yeah, they can drive, vote, enlist, etc etc…
I really don’t have anything to base this on but those are years for having fun and getting your wild side satisfied (hopefully harmless) and I’d like to see that largely past and to the point of moved out of the family home, paying for your own place, into your first ‘career’ type job - stuff like that. About that time is time to think about serious self defense and protecting your own. Own a gun? No problem; i had a shotgun & .22 rifle before my teens. Packing a 9 under your coat about the same time your learning beer and all that goes with those years? I dunno.
( lemme think about it ).

Like others here I have very mixed feelings about this. :(

Yes I had firearms from about age eight, but I did not carry them around town for self protection. I also had a temper and drank far too much alcohol in high school and college. On the other hand, like many farm kids, I did carry a knife all the time and was never tempted to use the knife as a weapon in a fight. (I can't say the same thing about brass knuckles however.)

I also know that not all 18 year olds are the same and some lose control easier than others. I have seen far too many fights come out of anger and alcohol that ended up completely out of control and wonder what would have happened if guns were present. I also worry about weaker kids who are regularly bullied deciding a gun would prevent the bullying.

I wish I knew the right answer to this question.

Like others here I have very mixed feelings about this. :(

Yes I had firearms from about age eight, but I did not carry them around town for self protection. I also had a temper and drank far too much alcohol in high school and college. On the other hand, like many farm kids, I did carry a knife all the time and was never tempted to use the knife as a weapon in a fight. (I can't say the same thing about brass knuckles however.)

I also know that not all 18 year olds are the same and some lose control easier than others. I have seen far too many fights come out of anger and alcohol that ended up completely out of control and wonder what would have happened if guns were present. I also worry about weaker kids who are regularly bullied deciding a gun would prevent the bullying.

I wish I knew the right answer to this question.
Agree

same holds true for temper, alcohol, fights, road rage, etc..

i know a lot of 50 yr old’s that have no biz carrying a firearm as well.

some folks just dont mature or have cognitive ability for a firearm

is what it is. Thats life as we know it

I really wish firearm safety classes could be tax deductible. It'd be an incentive for people to seek professional training.
Here, in the people's republic of Illinois, I finally applied for my right(privilege here) to carry. I had to sit through 16 hours of classroom training. So, I agree, 18 years old with proper training, hell, at least an introductory course. It would be better if firearm safety were taught in school , as in the past.

I used firearms from the time I was old enough to hold them up and was hunting on my own before puberty. I became a military policeman at age 19, and have carried a firearm every day since then. I can get fully behind 18 year old buying and carrying a gun if they are AD military or law enforcement. But in context, military and LE are intensely trained and supervised on the use of firearms when compared to the general public. There is no comparison between an 18 year old Marine and the 18 year old kid flipping burgers at MacDonald's.

But my unease about this blanket age of 18 is based upon my LE experience with 18-21 year-olds doing really stupid things out of emotional immaturity. Some are rock solid at 18, many are not. Florida raised the age to buy any gun to 21, and the CWFL age is and always has been 21. To some extent this is based upon the science that the pre frontal cortex of the brain, which relates to emotional maturity, is not fully developed at age 18. In fact it is not fully developed until about age 25. We can recall that many states lowered the drinking age to 18 in the 60's-70's, and the number of 18-21 killed in alcohol related car crashes spiked. Most of those states went back to a drinking age of 21 for that reason. I guess my perspective is, we have enough stupidity at age 21 and above, are we going to just add to it by having more immature kids running around carrying a pistol?

States went back to 21 because the fed's were going to withhold transportation and gas tax funds if they didn't raise the age to 21.

I have mixed feelings for the 18ccw holder. While I know many can rise to the maturity challenge most will not.

While I grew up with a firearm of my own from age 12, most of todays kids only learned from video games. I do not find their maturity as advanced as mine in the same age time period.

After all it's not like the gangbangers aren't doing it already.....

Agree

same holds true for temper, alcohol, fights, road rage, etc..

i know a lot of 50 yr old’s that have no biz carrying a firearm as well.

some folks just dont mature or have cognitive ability for a firearm

is what it is. Thats life as we know it
There you go again pickin' on me for being in your demographic 🥴 :ROFLMAO: since you mentioned a 50 year old!

The kids that were brought up around firearms as a kid and know responsibilities, then yes!

What are your thoughts on 18 year olds being able to conceal and carry?

After July 1st in Kansas, 18 year olds can apply for permits to conceal and carry. My daughter will turn 18 later this year and she is mature enough to carry and has plenty of experience with firearms and I'm going to have her apply but I'm curious what you think about 18 year olds carrying overall.
I was under the impression that anyone under the age of 21 was prohibited from handgun possession without "adult" supervision. Federal???

An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same state, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. A federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.

There may be state or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)]

You can open carry in Virginia if you are of legal age of eighteen years old without any state or federal prohibition to make use of firearms. However you have to be 21 to get a concealed carry permit.

Back