testtest

1911 assembly

javbike

Professional
Ok so I am brand new to the great world of the 1911 boy it’s like holding a piece of history I love it so read the manual and toke it apart at first I had a little trouble putting back together I said ok maybe it time to put it in a bag and head to the gun shop but I didn’t give up I think what I was doing wrong was not putting the spring back in first and it has to go in the barrel link forward it seats in the recoil spring guide once I understood that I was ok thank god I didn’t want to walk in a gun shop with a bag ha ha patients that’s it

Hey Jav,
Yeah I went thru a similar experience with my first 1911 (an RIA) til I got my program down after a couple tries…
Tip: look at manufacturers websites for videos. Some are better than others, though. After that, check 2-3 diff YouTube vids. Look for common denominators.
You’ll soon feel silly about how easy it is.
But keep it at the field strip level for now ; then maybe the slide. No reason to try to break down the frame yet. Somewhat diff ballgame there…

Hey Jav,
Yeah I went thru a similar experience with my first 1911 (an RIA) til I got my program down after a couple tries…
Tip: look at manufacturers websites for videos. Some are better than others, though. After that, check 2-3 diff YouTube vids. Look for common denominators.
But keep it at the field strip level for now ; then maybe the slide. No reason to try to break down the frame yet. Somewhat diff ballgame there…

Is a good idea TW. Looking on manufacturers websites is always great idea for info. Plus, when exploring around here, there's much more than just the forum. In the maroon band above "TheArmoryLife.Com" Click there, open "Collections" there's a nice trove of information on all kinds of interesting topics including helpful articles and videos.

Ok so I am brand new to the great world of the 1911 boy it’s like holding a piece of history I love it so read the manual and toke it apart at first I had a little trouble putting back together I said ok maybe it time to put it in a bag and head to the gun shop but I didn’t give up I think what I was doing wrong was not putting the spring back in first and it has to go in the barrel link forward it seats in the recoil spring guide once I understood that I was ok thank god I didn’t want to walk in a gun shop with a bag ha ha patients that’s it
i didn't have a problem assembling my fist 1911, i had a problem taking it apart and covering the recoil spring from shooting up and nearly busting the overhead fluorescent light (it did hit the reflector). the next time, on a different 1911, the spring went up, hit the ceiling and landed in the tool tote bag with all my cleaning supplies...

however, my first 1911..??, was the Remington R-1911, and that one had the drop safety (series 80) and THAT i had to watch for in reassembly.

even watching the many youtube videos, from some really great people, like gunblue460?, it is still an adventure your first time.

You know, we are hitting on an unspoken benefit of firearms ownership: the learning of how to look at something, reason out what to do, and apply basic mechanical ability to do it. (Nevermind the usual “following instructions“).
Some are strong on reasoning, other strong on the hands-on mech ability, and others it’s the ‘look at and conceptionalize’ (as distinct from straight reasoning). All at the dinner table.
Sorry to wax philosophical, but it is something of value.

i didn't have a problem assembling my fist 1911, i had a problem taking it apart and covering the recoil spring from shooting up and nearly busting the overhead fluorescent light (it did hit the reflector). the next time, on a different 1911, the spring went up, hit the ceiling and landed in the tool tote bag with all my cleaning supplies...

however, my first 1911..??, was the Remington R-1911, and that one had the drop safety (series 80) and THAT i had to watch for in reassembly.

even watching the many youtube videos, from some really great people, like gunblue460?, it is still an adventure your first time.
Lol ! My recoil spring cap wound up on the side window sill the first time; under the shoe rack the second !
Aint happened since:)

You know, we are hitting on an unspoken benefit of firearms ownership: the learning of how to look at something, reason out what to do, and apply basic mechanical ability to do it. (Nevermind the usual “following instructions“).
Some are strong on reasoning, other strong on the hands-on mech ability, and others it’s the ‘look at and conceptionalize’ (as distinct from straight reasoning). All at the dinner table.
Sorry to wax philosophical, but it is something of value.
i turned wrenches for many years, before i gave it up, and drove trucks, the rest of my life.

i can "see" how things come apart, and go back together, but one never knows the power of those recoil springs, if you don't capture it.

i don't sweat all that much anymore, done all my sweating when i was younger, and in a hurry.

Lol ! My recoil spring cap wound up on the side window sill the first time; under the shoe rack the second !
Aint happened since:)
yeah, that first time.......ZOOM......fluorescent light reflector, then to the floor (wooden floors in my basement), then under the water heater.....thank god for my extension magnet....!!!!

i turned wrenches for many years, before i gave it up, and drove trucks, the rest of my life.

i can "see" how things come apart, and go back together, but one never knows the power of those recoil springs, if you don't capture it.

i don't sweat all that much anymore, done all my sweating when i was younger, and in a hurry.
Yeah, agree about the sweating !!
By the way, all the above also teaches a bit of patience - which just might be the best benefit of all. And maybe a subconscious reason many of us buy different ones.

Yeah, agree about the sweating !!
By the way, all the above also teaches a bit of patience - which just might be the best benefit of all. And maybe a subconscious reason many of us buy different ones.
this is what i have found. i have a selection of semi-autoloaders, from .22 to 9MM, to .45 ACP, and several revolvers from .38 special to .357 magnum.

although the general basic principles apply for teardown, cleaning and reassembly are nearly the same, each one is different from brand to brand, or even with in the same brand name. one Glock that i have, can be a breeze to work on, and the other, a bit more time consuming.

Ok, many, many moons ago I bought my first 1911 from a Sheriff deputy who was also a FFL dealer, I got the AMT Government model, took it apart and could not figure out how to put the damn thing back together. So I put all the parts in the box, took it back to my sheriffs department and had one of deputies show me how to re-assemble it, yea, it does happen.

Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

I’m pretty sure the manual tells you to put the spring in first...
Yea it does I just got excited
Hey Jav,
thank you

The first time I completely disassembled my 1911, I was reading a Guns and Ammo magazine.
When i pulled out the sear/disconnector pin and the goodies fell out in my lap without my seeing their relationship, I was worried.
As it turns out, they only work one way!
My wife at the time came through the living room and seeing the bits and pieces in a pile(I had completed taken it apart) on a TV tray said, "I'll got get a zip lock bag and we can take it to the gun shop."
Lotta faith that one had!

Needless to say, I still have that old 1911.

The wife; however, was dropped a year later.

Hey, I never said I was smart, but I do get it...eventually.

Back