testtest

1911 EMP4 CC Feed Issue

A few month's ago I bought a 1911 EMP® CHAMPION™ CONCEALED CARRY CONTOUR 9MM and because of scheduling issues wasn't able to shoot it until a few month's after. In doing so I had a slide/feed issue after every shot. Took it to the vendor I bought it from, they oiled it up and using their ammo it performed as it should. Now, with the pandemic going on I haven't had a chance to take it to the range again, but I have been cycling the gun as it's my personal protection, in doing so I'm getting very inconsistent feeding with certain ammunition, in some cases even double feeding of the ammo. The ammo that seems to have the issue is 9mm Luger hollow points. Just trying to find out if this an issue with this model?
Links to photos-

Okay first off im going to suggest calling Springfield Armory. Springfield Armory’s customer service representatives can answer your questions/concerns Monday through Friday 8:30 to 4:30 CST via phone at 1-800-680-6866, International: +1-309-944-5631 or email at sales@springfield-armory.com.

Formalities out of the way, what brand ammunition are you using? does your feed ramp have a nice polish on it? how many actual round have been fired through this firearm? How are you loading the round (Sling shot, Slide release drop)?

From the images provided to me it looks like the mag may not be fully inserted. The round when loaded into the chamber should have a upward canter to it. The flat angle this round has is almost certain to cause a jam. I’ve had this happen to me in the past and was caused by the mag not being fully inserted. Also could be caused by the ammo itself. If the ammo has to blunt of an angle it may cause this issue as well.
D628ACDE-7A59-4BF7-9C87-81A98F79E59F.jpeg

The issue is hand cycling.

I’m willing to bet that if you take it to the range and shoot it, it’ll function fine.

When you hand cycle, you are moving it a lot slower and with a lot less force than it does when fired.
The first time at the range I had the slide failing to go forward all the way after each shot. I'm assuming it may be the ammunition being its hollow point. This isn't cheap ammunition, so
From the images provided to me it looks like the mag may not be fully inserted. The round when loaded into the chamber should have a upward canter to it. The flat angle this round has is almost certain to cause a jam. I’ve had this happen to me in the past and was caused by the mag not being fully inserted. Also could be caused by the ammo itself. If the ammo has to blunt of an angle it may cause this issue as well. View attachment 7965
Mag is definitely inserted all the way.

I generally don't have issues with mine unless I have shot a lot then my grip will get a little weaker. Then I just conciously firm up the grip and issue goes away. Bad magazine springs can also lead to multiple problems. I do oil the slide and clean the ramps on my Contour more frequently. I shoot Freedom Munitions, Fiocchi, and LAX HP ammo at the range in all of my guns. I shoot Barnes or HST for defensive rounds with no issues.

The ammunition is Federal HI-Shok 147gr.

That is quality ammo, yes.

The thing is, though, sometimes some guns don’t like a particular load...and it’s quite possible that someone else with the exact same model gun will have no issues with it...it happens. I could get into causes like tolerance stacking, but...long story short, it doesn’t mean anything is wrong with your gun.

I’d try a different bullets/loads...get some 124gr JHP’s, or 147gr Gold Dots...etc. If it feeds fine, you’re set.

When I purchased my EMP4-40 the only ammo I had a problem with was Federal HST-140gr.
Would not pass a plunk test-every other brand was no problem-I think cause it was one of those ammo overun sales from law enforcement-I sold both boxes to a friend that has a Sig P229 and they worked fine in his gun.

I had similar issues with my first EMP, the bi-tone EMP4 CCC in 9mm. I field stripped it and gave it an extremely thorough cleaning to make sure any remnants of assembly lube were gone and then lubed it with a high quality lubricant. I also polished the feed ramp a bit with some good metal polish. This solved the problem for all of the many different ammo types I used, except for the Hornady 135 gr Flexlock hollowpoint that I like (beacuse it is extremely accurate in the EMP, prints to the same point of aim at close up dsitances as well as out to 25 yards), every fifth or sixth round would not feed properly. I then remembered to do something I would do years ago on some of my semiautos, simply tapping the rear of the magazine on the palm of my hand to make certain that the cartridges were all seated well against the rear of the magazine before inserting, and this solved the problem even for the Hornady Flexlock which does have a very flat tip on it. All ammo always feeds reliably now.

I then decided I wanted the EMP CCC in FDE and went through the same experience. Now both the bi-tone and the FDE are good to go, no feeding problems at all.

With all these issues I’ve been reading on the EMP, maybe I should pass on one for a bit, I am not into sending a new gun back to the mothership.

Had identical issue with my EMP4-40. Contact the Warranty folks and send it in for service. Haven't heard back yet. Waiting to find out.

My problem became so bad it would not load any hollow point ammo.View attachment 8031View attachment 8032
That is exactly the same problem I'm having, while it may be the ammunition, I'm not sure if I'm too thrilled having this as my everyday carry at this point.

Updating, I'm sending the firearm into Springfield so they can look at it, but I really don't think this is defect, more maybe a design problem, so I'm not really sure they're going to find anything wrong with it. It's a waiting game at this point.

I also had the same problem. Included misfeeds, light strikes, and stovepipes. After firing about three to four hundred rounds through my EMP 4 CC, the problems have gone away. I would suggest allowing the weapon to have a "break-in" period of at least 300 rounds. Additionally, with respect to HP use, do some research on some loads that you think are best for your use and run them through your firearm to see which has the best accuracy and reliability. I am currently running Federal HST LE 115 grain loads.

The long time 1911 users can correct me here but from what I’ve seen on this and many other forums, Springfield and competitors alike, the smaller 1911 variants especially have a break in period that just doesn’t exist with most striker pistols. They also have a greater chance of being picky on ammo, although some strikers have that issue too. I don’t think it’s a mfg “design” problem as much as it’s inherent to the original design, and more so as that platform shrinks in size.

I have never seen a new 1911 run without any hitches at first, Okie, your right, there is a break in period on these guns, some will agree and some will disagree on this. Before you trust your gun for ccw, do at least a 250-500 round break in period. I have owned Kimbers, Springfield’s, Colt’s, they all had some issues at first till I got some rounds through them, and yes also, they can be ammo finicky to.

Back