testtest

.22 for concealed carry, are you kidding me?

HotRod

Operator
Founding Member
What the heck is up with these new .22 LR pistols being touted for self defense? Are CCW holders in general so week that they need an easy rack gun or a .22 caliber to handle the recoil? .22s are awesome for plinking and tormenting tin cans but come on... We have the most feable amoung us arming themselves with low capacity unreliable mouse guns. What am I am missing?
giphy.gif

What about someone with arthritis? It could be the only thing they can comfortably shoot. Or my wifes first gun was a 22lr. At the time it was what she was comfortable with, and I took it as anything is better than nothing. Eventually she moved up on her own to a 38 Airweight J-frame

It makes sense to me for the range, or training or introduction to firearms but I still feel like people who carry a .22 are more interested in the warm and fuzzies they get carrying a gun and not the practicality of having to use it. Is that going to save your life or get you killed? I don't buy into the "anything is better than nothing" concept.

i've watched that texas church shooting video like 20 times and can't shake the image of that guy fumbling his draw and getting killed while the guy in the pew hadn't even drawn and it was over. Both those guys have a right to carry and i bet they both imagined their roll much differently than it played out.

I don't have arthritis so I honestly don't know, is it a racking problem or a shooting problem? So much of a problem that you can't find a .380 or 9mm that fits the bill?

New shooters can benefit from a 22, and if it is very similar to a larger caliber, they can "graduate" when they get more comfortable. At least that is my $0.02 worth.
agreed. Awesome for getting to know guns. once you know youre way around a firearm if you can't handle a 9mm for racking issues there are lots of options in .380's. I'm sure someone can give some data but the energy in .380 is outlandish compared to .22 and people talk about .380's being weak.

What the heck is up with these new .22 LR pistols being touted for self defense? Are CCW holders in general so week that they need an easy rack gun or a .22 caliber to handle the recoil? .22s are awesome for plinking and tormenting tin cans but come on... We have the most feable amoung us arming themselves with low capacity unreliable mouse guns. What am I am missing?
giphy.gif
Your right it’s great for plunking but some people can’t shoot accurately with large one kill calibers. So using the 22 and placing multiple shots accurately on target will do the job. My instructor for my CCW carries a 22 as his weapon of choice. There are as many people killed with 22s as there is with any other caliber.

giphy.gif
I remember my first wife when I bought her her first pistol. She chose a little bitty .22 I asked her do you want to stop someone from attacking or hurting you or the kids? Or do you just want to (p I double s) somebody off? She didn’t get that until I took her to the range with it.

Your right it’s great for plunking but some people can’t shoot accurately with large one kill calibers. So using the 22 and placing multiple shots accurately on target will do the job. My instructor for my CCW carries a 22 as his weapon of choice. There are as many people killed with 22s as there is with any other caliber.
understood but .22s are always such low capacity for the size, which i assume is due the shape of the cartridge. Kinda of counter intuitive to me that they have low capacity and require more shots.

According to the FBI's report on handgun wounding and mortality factors, shot placement, in tandem with caliber, are the two principal factors in determining lethality. Even a .22LR, properly placed, can be an effective defensive round. Bottom line: get what you can shoot comfortably, affordably, and accurately. If you can place a .22 in the nasal-ocular cavity a solid 90% of the time, that can be better than putting a 9mm in the thoracic cavity 50% of the time.

According to the FBI's report on handgun wounding and mortality factors, shot placement, in tandem with caliber, are the two principal factors in determining lethality. Even a .22LR, properly placed, can be an effective defensive round. Bottom line: get what you can shoot comfortably, affordably, and accurately. If you can place a .22 in the nasal-ocular cavity with solid 90% of the time, that can be better than putting a 9mm in the thoracic cavity 50% of the time.
Considering how inaccurate most people are in high stress situations, that might require a lot of time practicing...months or even years.

Back