testtest

3 Essential Tips for Personal Defense: The Sheriff's Take

I like the Sheriff's columns, but I do not fully agree with Tip #1. I'd prefer "buy quality gear" to "buy the best you can afford". If I was willing to sacrifice (and my wife wouldn't notice), I could probably afford a Nighthawk Custom/Wilson Combat/Les Baer Custom 1911 or tricked-out CZ Shadow. Those are probably fantastic firearms, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't effectively defend myself with any number of Springfield XD or Glock offerings. I insist on using quality gear from reputable manufacturers, but I fail to see the logic behind going overboard.

Thanks Annie for another short sweet sheriff article.
Another thing to remember besides buying good dependable quality is to actually know what looking for and at. Good quality doesn't always equate with high price tags. Sometimes and usually, know the quality 1st and then shop around for best deal and be patient. Shopping does not always mean buying, many people tend to confuse those two things.

This particular article, while thought stimulating as always from the Sheriff, didn’t quite catch with me.
Like WMG above, I question the actual value of a person on a budget buying the ‘most/best they can afford’ for something that in all likelihood will never occur esp if other reasonable risk avoidance measures are observed. After all your #1 line of defense is knowing what’s going on around u and looking ahead (good ol SA).

Im also not so sure about the investment in ‘training’ which varies wildly and for which there seems to me to be no real industry standards to tell you what your getting ( maybe there are, but I haven’t seen any).
another thing - and I never see this mentioned anywhere- what about plain ol’ physical fitness? Are you taking care of yourself or not?? How many bother to practice the 3 to 5 simple-ass reactive self defense moves that’ll allow you to walk away from almost all up close and personal threats? You rarely ever see anything about PT for self defense posted here or most places. Sheriff, and others (J Cooper?) focus on firearms, and SA with a firearms angle. Thats why i liked that article Sheriff did on unconventional methods a few weeks ago.

just throwing out some food for thought ! YMMV :)

I like the Sheriff's columns, but I do not fully agree with Tip #1. I'd prefer "buy quality gear" to "buy the best you can afford". If I was willing to sacrifice (and my wife wouldn't notice), I could probably afford a Nighthawk Custom/Wilson Combat/Les Baer Custom 1911 or tricked-out CZ Shadow. Those are probably fantastic firearms, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't effectively defend myself with any number of Springfield XD or Glock offerings. I insist on using quality gear from reputable manufacturers, but I fail to see the logic behind going overboard.
Well, best is highly subjective. Best for me isn't necessarily best for you. The most expensive isn't always the best either. I think tip number 1 could be modified to " Buy the most reliable gear that suits YOU the best".

As for training, money is a horrible barometer. The places around here that are ridiculously expensive are generally staffed by guys that watch way too many action movies. There are well known instructors who are top notch and who you will have to travel and pay dearly for their classes, but on a local level I found it's usually gun shops who use their employees as instructors and they charge a premium for it. And usually it's a rip off. When you find the guy who has lived it, has years of experience as an instructor, generally in Law Enforcement and or the military and does it because he loves it you may be on the right track. The guy who's classes I am taking right now fits that bill. And his classes are $100-$125 per student with other 3 hour classes on carbines or shotguns coming in right about $55. Private lessons are $35/hr. And he knows what he's doing and knows how to teach it to others.

Well, best is highly subjective. Best for me isn't necessarily best for you. The most expensive isn't always the best either. I think tip number 1 could be modified to " Buy the most reliable gear that suits YOU the best".

As for training, money is a horrible barometer. The places around here that are ridiculously expensive are generally staffed by guys that watch way too many action movies. There are well known instructors who are top notch and who you will have to travel and pay dearly for their classes, but on a local level I found it's usually gun shops who use their employees as instructors and they charge a premium for it. And usually it's a rip off. When you find the guy who has lived it, has years of experience as an instructor, generally in Law Enforcement and or the military and does it because he loves it you may be on the right track. The guy who's classes I am taking right now fits that bill. And his classes are $100-$125 per student with other 3 hour classes on carbines or shotguns coming in right about $55. Private lessons are $35/hr. And he knows what he's doing and knows how to teach it to others.

"Well, best is highly subjective. Best for me isn't necessarily best for you. The most expensive isn't always the best either. I think tip number 1 could be modified to " Buy the most reliable gear that suits YOU the best".

- Agreed, likely the sheriff's intention too?

By the way, and as an aside, if you feel the need to carry a pistol (I don’t carry), i see absolutely nothing wrong with a $300-range Stoeger 9 or S&W SD9 (heck, I have two) even if you can easily afford something twice the price.
Take it out, make sure it works, get in reasonable practice … and when the time comes and you come into enough loose $ to feel comfortable about spending, get an Apex spring set for that SD9 or the drop in trigger and improve it some. (All that assumes your one of limited means, fixed income, or just starting your working life).
But - how about an investment in some decent running shoes, as well ?!?
just sayin’ :)

By the way, and as an aside, if you feel the need to carry a pistol (I don’t carry), i see absolutely nothing wrong with a $300-range Stoeger 9 or S&W SD9 (heck, I have two) even if you can easily afford something twice the price.
Take it out, make sure it works, get in reasonable practice … and when the time comes and you come into enough loose $ to feel comfortable about spending, get an Apex spring set for that SD9 or the drop in trigger and improve it some. (All that assumes your one of limited means, fixed income, or just starting your working life).
But - how about an investment in some decent running shoes, as well ?!?
just sayin’ :)
Check it out: Robbie’s new Felony Fliers !!!

Attachments

• 873B4507-CA0E-4FA0-B18D-43685FF47D61.jpeg
    873B4507-CA0E-4FA0-B18D-43685FF47D61.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
Back