testtest

.308 Bolt Carrier Group Question

I was cleaning my Savage AR10 .308 this morning and while working on the BCG I noticed some grooves in the bolt head. They are all on the same side of each lug some more pronounced then others
849D56A9-DAA4-466F-BD9B-0B8BD3C1E80F.jpeg
86B8DE17-CF63-4B6A-A3FC-79631169D540.jpeg
0B5D70B8-C1BF-4F0E-BC36-21CB6CF2FAA7.jpeg

Is this normal or normal on a high powered rifle? I’ve never seen this “Wear” on any of my Springfield AR15

It should not have damage there. I have heard in the past the Savage is over gassed, folks having this issue, and it is probably bashing the lugs together as it cycles. Can you fine tune the gas block ? Is it adjustable ?
Yes it is adjustable and full disclosure I have an email into Savage support on this issue. My concern is; is this bolt now damaged to the point of possible failure?

Well being proactive I called Savage and was told that the guns needs to go back to them for repair, so first thanks again @KillerFord1977 for making me aware of the crack, it made the decision easier that I want to get this fixed to avoid possible further damage down the road.
now I need to strip the gun down of all its accessories and get a box from FedEx for shipping. Oh well 😞

You should consider Bolts on AR platforms as consumables, eventually they will break. But yours looks sketchy.
I remember you saying that once before and I took that to heart based on your experience/expertise, I will say the first few times I shot this gun I did not see any of that, the last time I shot it, about 2 months ago I didn’t clean it right after. I took it out today to clean it for a range trip early next week and was surprised to see that issue. Was I disappointed?
Of course but knowing I just can’t throw another bolt in it I realize sending it back is the best thing to do.
I will say I really enjoy shooting this .308 and will be on pins and needles until it’s back home.

I would think a bolt wouldn’t cost that much. I’d consider just replacing it rather than messing with sending it in.
Are they not fit for head space?

I will say I inspected the chamber and the areas where the bolt head fits into while in battery and saw no issues whatsoever.
I do wonder that perhaps this is an over gas issue as mentioned by @KillerFord1977 but also could be that perhaps this bolt did not get hardened correctly.

Last edited:
Are they not fit for head space?

I will say I inspected the chamber and the areas where the fits into while in battery and saw no issues whatsoever.
I do wonder that perhaps this is an over gas issue as mentioned by @KillerFord1977 but also could be that perhaps this bolt did not get hardened correctly.

I don’t know. Are you saying all AR bolts have to be fit specifically to the bolt carrier? I’m asking because I don’t know. So you would have to buy a whole BCG?

Well being proactive I called Savage and was told that the guns needs to go back to them for repair, so first thanks again @KillerFord1977 for making me aware of the crack, it made the decision easier that I want to get this fixed to avoid possible further damage down the road.
now I need to strip the gun down of all its accessories and get a box from FedEx for shipping. Oh well 😞

You should just be able to send the upper.

Back