testtest

38 Special

wolfpack076

Professional
Looking for some feedback here. I have two wheel guns a Colt King Cobra and a Colt Python both new production models and love both of them. I am looking at acquiring a 38 special snub. Looking for guidance on what maker to go with Smith ? Colt ? and I've been hearing good things about the Taurus lines ? Any feedback would be appreciated...Thanks...

@wolfpack076
I Really, really like my Taurus 605M
695DB1D7-EEB7-40C8-9547-88CC8FD5EE49.jpeg

Colt and S&W revolvers manufactured pre 1990 in my opinion are superior to what is being produced today. Do you want a K frame sized gun or J frame or Colt equivalent? Smaller frame guns are a bit easier to conceal but recoil can be uncomfortable especially the airweights. Shoot 5 rounds of full power .38 from an airweight and you will see what I mean.

I have a 2.5 inch model 19 Smith that checks my boxes for concealed carry and it is shootable plus I can step up to .357 if I want. I do not like the Smiths with the internal lock. My other ideal concealed carry revolver would be a Python snub but they are crazy expensive in original configuration.

You might get a good one but I have seen more malfunctions from Taurus revolvers on my range than the others put together.

Don't overlook Ruger while you are at it.

Good luck in your quest

Looking to add to my carry rotation. Preferably with an exposed hammer. In my rotation for carry I use a Glock 48, SA Hellcat and in the winter months a Colt King Cobra w a 3 inch barrel. I can conceal the Cobra pretty well but looking at a snub which would make it a little easier for me to conceal.

Colt and S&W revolvers manufactured pre 1990 in my opinion are superior to what is being produced today. Do you want a K frame sized gun or J frame or Colt equivalent? Smaller frame guns are a bit easier to conceal but recoil can be uncomfortable especially the airweights. Shoot 5 rounds of full power .38 from an airweight and you will see what I mean.

I have a 2.5 inch model 19 Smith that checks my boxes for concealed carry and it is shootable plus I can step up to .357 if I want. I do not like the Smiths with the internal lock. My other ideal concealed carry revolver would be a Python snub but they are crazy expensive in original configuration.

You might get a good one but I have seen more malfunctions from Taurus revolvers on my range than the others put together.

Good luck in your quest
What type of malfunctions In Taurus revolvers are you referring to? Mine has been flawless so far. What should I watch for?

What type of malfunctions In Taurus revolvers are you referring to? Mine has been flawless so far. What should I watch for?

While you couldn't give me a Taurus semi auto pistol, I have a 8.5" Taurus .44 Magnum revolver that has been flawless since I bought it 30 years ago. That said, these days when I go looking for a revolver it is going to be a Colt or a Ruger. Even though my Taurus has proven itself to be worry free there is no doubt the build quality is not on par with a Blackhawk or a Colt.

Going strictly by your two choices of manufacturing, a lot depends upon how you wish to carry it. If, you wish to pocket carry at some point a Smith would be your best bet. Either a member of the Centennial or Bodyguard family. The reason is a snagless concealed hammer. I am partial to old style humpback style Bodyguard as opposed to new design. For new, not used there is one choice in the old style the 638.

163070-sw-OnWhite-Right.png

If strictly holster carry then either a Colt or Smith will serve well. So will many others, Ruger, kimber, charter arms, Taurus all have selections

Looking to add to my carry rotation. Preferably with an exposed hammer. In my rotation for carry I use a Glock 48, SA Hellcat and in the winter months a Colt King Cobra w a 3 inch barrel. I can conceal the Cobra pretty well but looking at a snub which would make it a little easier for me to conceal.
If you have a 3" King Cobra, you already have one of the finest carry revolvers ever made. Anything you could get in 2" would be a giant step backwards/down, IMHO.

Good luck in your quest

As far as. Tauris go, I have owned one since the early 80, flawless performer, same can be said about the .380 snub Taurus I bought several years ago.

I do know first hand that Taurus went thru a very rough patch in the early 2000s. One of the biggest complaints were tying up the action after a few rounds. I had a .22 model bought in 2000 which did this even after the factory visit. It's long gone. But, everything I have seen experienced with them in the past decade has been positive.

S&W Model 36/60, hands down…or, if you want Airweight, a 37/637.

Or, you could get a Model 38/638 Bodyguard with a shrouded hammer. Note this is NOT the same as the “Bodyguard” hammerless, synthetic framed model.

The only other one I’d recommend is an older Colt Detective Special/Cobra/Agent…they’ll command a premium for no longer being made, though.

But the Model 36–aka “Chief’s Special” is, imho, the best of the hammered snubs.

It appears you are fortunate, if you like them I am fine with that. Problems arise from poor tolerances and failures of quality control.

Most recently 3 years ago a security company sent me a group of security officers to train and qualify for their license. They all had the Taurus copy of the S&W Model 15. They were new in the box guns. I inspected them and all looked OK except for rough triggers. Not a single one of those revolvers could get through the course of fire without multiple malfunctions. Two could not fire 6 without a misfire. I tried cleaning and lubing the guns with no improvement. Obviously it was the QC guys day off at the factory the day the guns came off the line. I can see one gun coming out like that from time to time but this was a batch of guns that left the plant that way. The company returned them and replaced them with Glocks. This was not an isolated occurrence. I have been a firearms instructor for 50 years and I and fellow instructors have had similar experience with a number of Taurus guns over the years. Even the cowboy guns. It got to a point where I would not allow a Taurus in my classes because we would have to stop shooting to clear malfunctions. It has always been the same story. Some work fine and people love them, and some are crap, and it has always been a failure of QC. Other manufacturers including SIG and SA have lemons from time to time but in my experience not like Taurus. Then there is SCCY and that's another story.....OK for plinking at the range but with that track record not guns I would strap on and go into harm's way with.

Back