testtest

38Sp Range And Defensive Ammunition

So now that I have two Taurus revolvers chambered in 38Sp one exclusively and one chambered in both 38Sp and 357M
I’m looking for some input on 38Sp training and defensive ammunition.

Basically I’ve been focusing on my semi auto’s and have significant amounts in all calibers although it’s said never enough, I haven’t given the 38Sp any thought.
I currently only have about 150 rounds in Winchester 130 grain training Ammo for the Taurus Defender 856 and less then 50 rounds of 357M for the Taurus 605M not even close to what I want for both revolver’s.

What should I be looking for?

So now that I have two Taurus revolvers chambered in 38Sp one exclusively and one chambered in both 38Sp and 357M
I’m looking for some input on 38Sp training and defensive ammunition.

Basically I’ve been focusing on my semi auto’s and have significant amounts in all calibers although it’s said never enough, I haven’t given the 38Sp any thought.
I currently only have about 150 rounds in Winchester 130 grain training Ammo for the Taurus Defender 856 and less then 50 rounds of 357M for the Taurus 605M not even close to what I want for both revolver’s.

What should I be looking for?
Questions:
How often you shoot?
How many rounds do you shoot per session?
Do you ever buy in bulk?

I mostly used 130fmc for practice, now for defensive stuff, I used Hornady Critical Defense 110gr non +p, I never felt the need for anything else, i used this in my Ruger LCR when I had it. Like I said before, I concentrated on shot placement, not how many rounds I had or how powerful the round was

Ok, as far as defense:

Gives results for both 2 and 4” barrels in both calibers. Personally, I’m .38 I like the old FBI load—158gr+P SWC-HP—the 125gr Golden Saber, or the 130gr Winchester Defender. In .357…snubs get 125 gr Golden Saber, 4”+ get Underwood 125gr XTP’s (nuclear).

Blasters…whatever you find cheap. If you don’t reload, .38spl and .357M are two great calibers to start with…I really like shooting coated 158gr SWC’s in both calibers, loaded to mid-range (not a bunny fart, but not nuclear either).

Ok, as far as defense:

Gives results for both 2 and 4” barrels in both calibers. Personally, I’m .38 I like the old FBI load—158gr+P SWC-HP—the 125gr Golden Saber, or the 130gr Winchester Defender. In .357…snubs get 125 gr Golden Saber, 4”+ get Underwood 125gr XTP’s (nuclear).

Blasters…whatever you find cheap. If you don’t reload, .38spl and .357M are two great calibers to start with…I really like shooting coated 158gr SWC’s in both calibers, loaded to mid-range (not a bunny fart, but not nuclear either).
Great information thank you.

Completely agree, even more in a 3” or longer barrel…even the old 125gr Remington SJHP is a proven stopper in .357.
My old Speer is been around the block a few decades 🙂

7FA3A5B7-0756-469B-AFEA-03362AB4B2E9.jpeg

Norma 158gr JHP in 38 special. I think Norma loads are a tad spicy, they seem to zip out of the wife's S&W K-Frame 4" Combat Masterpiece with authority. The last time I picked up a couple 50 boxes for around $75 clams. We use the same weight in Magtech LRN's. This is a stock pic, her blue is near mint. 15-3 combat masterpiece.jpg

Now you guys got me to thinking and I went into my ammo locker and dug out several boxes of Remington .357 Mag 158 gr soft pt. Maybe these have gone out of style, but I don't think Remington still makes these. They do sell lead SWC in .38 (no .38 + P) and .357 mag.

R357M3.JPG

.357 Mag semi-jacketed softpoint.JPG

3C256C8A-AC16-406D-B9E2-7839B6958B31.jpeg

Picked up these today; 120gr+P Federal Punch.

120gr is an odd weight; can’t say I’ve seen it in .38’s before…

They were relatively cheap; $21.99/20, which is low for .38JHP’s (American Gunner 125gr XTP’s were $25.99, for comparison). I’ll give ‘em a try.

I could only find a picture. Several companies list it, but as usual it is out of stock. I seem to remember that at one time Remington made a solid SWC, but I can't remember if it was in .38 Spec or in .357 mag.
e796bf49262033076da7024f93b86053.jpg
I’m down to my last 5 or so boxes of these; bought a case 15 years ago or so…

I was able to duplicate them fairly easily with a 158grSWC load; I get the same velocity (actually, my handloads are a LOT more consistent), and blind loading the cylinder, I can’t tell the difference between factory & mine. Good for training.

Back