testtest

4 most powerful US grenades

Post it up brother.
My tank unit was providing overwatch for Seabees doing road construction in the A Shau Valley. Rome plows dug positions for our tanks on high ground above the road. At the end of the day we headed back to our firebase. The column consisted of Rome plows, graders and other equipment. We had one tank at the head of the column, one in the middle and one at the rear. My tank was last in line. The column moved pretty slow and everyone was on high alert for possible ambushes. As we went around a curve I noticed a what looked like what we called a spider hole about 20-30 feet above us. I had the driver stop as we got around the curve. I told the crew what I was going to do. I grabbed a baseball grenade ran back a short distance under the hole. I took what I thought was a perfect aim threw the grenade. The damn thing hit the edge of the hole and started rolling back down at me. I hauled ass around the curve as the grenade exploded, scared the crap out of me. Of course I told my crew I got it. I never did tell them the truth, was too embarrassed.

My tank unit was providing overwatch for Seabees doing road construction in the A Shau Valley. Rome plows dug positions for our tanks on high ground above the road. At the end of the day we headed back to our firebase. The column consisted of Rome plows, graders and other equipment. We had one tank at the head of the column, one in the middle and one at the rear. My tank was last in line. The column moved pretty slow and everyone was on high alert for possible ambushes. As we went around a curve I noticed a what looked like what we called a spider hole about 20-30 feet above us. I had the driver stop as we got around the curve. I told the crew what I was going to do. I grabbed a baseball grenade ran back a short distance under the hole. I took what I thought was a perfect aim threw the grenade. The damn thing hit the edge of the hole and started rolling back down at me. I hauled ass around the curve as the grenade exploded, scared the crap out of me. Of course I told my crew I got it. I never did tell them the truth, was too embarrassed.
Glad the spider hole was empty. :)

Although it's not listed we had a grenade we called the baseball. I think it's nomenclature was hand grenade M-33. Does anyone have memories of this grenade? Although humor was often hard to come by in Vietnam I could tell a funny story about this grenade. It would be kinda long but if anyone is interested let me know.
I got to my first platoon,2-7-8, hey! Want some grenades to carry? No!

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
Holy crap, 34th worked hand in hand with my cousin, commanded A troop, 3/4 CAV;1970 Cambodia invasion
Holy crap, 34th worked hand in hand with my cousin, commanded A troop, 3/4 CAV;1970 Cambodia invasion
I was with the 25th aviation in Chu Chi, transferred to the 34th. My last amor unit was Charlie company 1/68, 8th Inf in Germany. I picked Charlie company just because I was in a Charlie company in Germany. At the time Charlie company was attached to a few different units. I vaguely remember our company was split up in platoons going to the 9th Inf, 5th mech, 101st airborne and maybe others. Late 68 thru July 69 attached to 101, cant remember what the firebase name was in the A Shau. I had a serious stroke about 20 years ago, lost a lot of my memory

I was with the 25th aviation in Chu Chi, transferred to the 34th. My last amor unit was Charlie company 1/68, 8th Inf in Germany. I picked Charlie company just because I was in a Charlie company in Germany. At the time Charlie company was attached to a few different units. I vaguely remember our company was split up in platoons going to the 9th Inf, 5th mech, 101st airborne and maybe others. Late 68 thru July 69 attached to 101, cant remember what the firebase name was in the A Shau. I had a serious stroke about 20 years ago, lost a lot of my memory
Had a friend in II Corps, 4th ID, carried everything on his back- kitchen sink if you will

Stay safe, buddy. OOHRAH
Semper Fidelis

Back