testtest

4 Reasons Why More Gun Control Laws are Doomed to Fail

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Decent article here on why the author thinks these 4 reasons will doom any new gun control laws.

Decent article here on why the author thinks these 4 reasons will doom any new gun control laws.

Great article and very well written.

This is one of the better articles written on the subject. While numerous articles mention that 2/3 of all firearm-related deaths are suicides, this is the first article I have read that explains why gun control won't address the problem. I know that it is incredibly uncomfortable to talk about, but 2A proponents need to find a way to speak honestly about suicide.

As a police officer, I responded to multiple suicides. As a police supervisor I was required to respond to any suicide that occurred on my shift to make the official determination that it was not a homicide. As an attorney who handles estates and probate issues, I have received even more exposure to suicide. I have never encountered a suicide in which anything that could be considered an "assault rifle" was used. I have never encountered a suicide that required more than 1 shot, rendering magazine capacity restrictions pointless. The majority of the firearm-related suicides I have been exposed to used older revolvers and shotguns, and not guns that were recently purchased.

This article takes a huge step forward by finally addressing the fact that gun control is not an effective method to promote suicide prevention. Suicide is a serious problem with devastating effects on families. It is crucial that gun owners find a sensitive and respectful way to express the fact that we are not the cause of this problem.

This is one of the better articles written on the subject. While numerous articles mention that 2/3 of all firearm-related deaths are suicides, this is the first article I have read that explains why gun control won't address the problem. I know that it is incredibly uncomfortable to talk about, but 2A proponents need to find a way to speak honestly about suicide.

As a police officer, I responded to multiple suicides. As a police supervisor I was required to respond to any suicide that occurred on my shift to make the official determination that it was not a homicide. As an attorney who handles estates and probate issues, I have received even more exposure to suicide. I have never encountered a suicide in which anything that could be considered an "assault rifle" was used. I have never encountered a suicide that required more than 1 shot, rendering magazine capacity restrictions pointless. The majority of the firearm-related suicides I have been exposed to used older revolvers and shotguns, and not guns that were recently purchased.

This article takes a huge step forward by finally addressing the fact that gun control is not an effective method to promote suicide prevention. Suicide is a serious problem with devastating effects on families. It is crucial that gun owners find a sensitive and respectful way to express the fact that we are not the cause of this problem.
What's more, as an aside to defund the police initiatives, sending a "social worker" to confront a suicidal person is going to endanger people.

Yes, very good article.
And, your response and reply's none too shabby either!

Other thoughts on suicides for example? If a person wanted to, there's many other ways to likely accomplish it? In the past for example, people have jumped off bridges, buildings, towers or other high structures, ran out in traffic, ect. too. On high buildings, fixed window panes, bolted down windows, bars or other features have been installed by planers to curb that practice after Wall Street collapsed and no one attempted to ban or restrict tall buildings for that.... yet. The buildings themselves didn't actually contribute anything but a means to an end which could have been acomplished in other ways to a determined individual. The person themselves made the choice, the buildings didn't make it for them. The building or other structure's design may have allowed it and that's been mostly rectified.

Back