testtest

.45 ACP +P safe to shoot in Ronin?

ddeuce22

Professional
Been on the hunt for some defensive rounds for the new 1911. I seem to come across alot of Hornady Critical Duty +P 220gr, or other +P loads. I can't find it explicitly in writing anywhere in the manual if the Ronin is rated for +P loads or not.

Anyone know from experience or otherwise if +P is ok to shoot in it, minus of course the standard warning of expedited wear?
Don't plan on shooting much +P through it, but atleast a mag or two if I end up getting a box or two of the defensive +P stuff.

Thanks as always gentleman.

I plan on testing 1-2 mags worth and then the rest becomes ammo I hopefully never have to use.
Thanks fellas.

I’d recommend using it every now and again...like at least refreshing your carry mags once a year.

That way, you know your gun is still going to run it as it wears in, springs wear down, etc.

On my EDC I decided to run whatever defensive ammo i've been carrying in my mags every 2-3 months. Maybe too often? Just seemed like a decent amount of time, and I have a good amount of defensive 9mm at the moment.

For the 1911 i'll eventually run that box of 50 +P, but i'm hoping to find non +P defensive rounds to carry by then.
I plan on carrying the 1911, but I feel like in the hot Texas summer it'll be the 365 XL more often than not. Come fall/winter the 1911 will probably have a more regular appearance.

Appreciate the advice my good man.

Personally I'd shoot a box or two of it, just to be sure it feeds good and you get a very good idea of it's impact point.
IMHO one or two mags is not enough to stake my life on.
I used to think that...but I discovered something during the last ammo crunch back in 2013.

If you are going to have an issue that is directly attributable to the ammo, you’re gonna find out in the first magazine.

I used to run a couple hundred rounds of carry ammo “just to be sure”...but I never had a round that ran fine for the first magazine fail to feed/function on, say, round 100 or 150. On the other hand, if I had a round FTF in the first magazine...odds are, I’d have more, and I’d downcheck that round. Occasionally, I'd have an initial mag failure that never happened again, even with the same mag, that could be chalked up as a fluke.

Since then, I’ll run a couple of mags, and if I have no initial failures, I’ll green light it. I also cycle my carry ammo a couple times a year...and I have yet to have a failure on ammo I vetted with the “two mag process”.

My experience, at least.

I used to think that...but I discovered something during the last ammo crunch back in 2013.

If you are going to have an issue that is directly attributable to the ammo, you’re gonna find out in the first magazine.

I used to run a couple hundred rounds of carry ammo “just to be sure”...but I never had a round that ran fine for the first magazine fail to feed/function on, say, round 100 or 150. On the other hand, if I had a round FTF in the first magazine...odds are, I’d have more, and I’d downcheck that round. Occasionally, I'd have an initial mag failure that never happened again, even with the same mag, that could be chalked up as a fluke.

Since then, I’ll run a couple of mags, and if I have no initial failures, I’ll green light it. I also cycle my carry ammo a couple times a year...and I have yet to have a failure on ammo I vetted with the “two mag process”.

My experience, at least.
Pretty much my experience too.

Not my experience with the R.I.P. rounds. My first mag shot great no stoppages. By the third mag it wouldn't run 2rds without a jam.

I found a small excerpt in the manual finally after another look through, incase anyone was curious.

Since mine is the full size 5", as this reads, I should be good to go.

1623187386714.png

R.I.P. rounds? Me either. Likely +P+ but who knows?

Video:

Lightweight, warp speed, frangible. Crap.

These bullets get touted as “game changing”, etc, etc, all the time, ever since the Glaser got introduced 30-40 years ago.

They’re gimmicks. If they were so great, you’d see LE and other agencies/units using them. They don’t, they never have...

Lightweight, warp speed, frangible. Crap.

These bullets get touted as “game changing”, etc, etc, all the time, ever since the Glaser got introduced 30-40 years ago.

They’re gimmicks. If they were so great, you’d see LE and other agencies/units using them. They don’t, they never have...
Absolutely.

Back