testtest

8 Survival Secrets of America's "Mountain Men"

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Many points still apply. I use the ones that still apply when I'm up in the hills.

Since I live exactly where Lewis & Clark passed through, coming & going, and having been through the country described by Thomas James I can relate to his observations, although the wildlife isn't as abundant as what he saw.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2020/2/19/8-survival-secrets-of-americas-mountain-men/

alfred_jacob_miller_-_trapping_beaver_-_walters_371940111.jpg

Last edited:
I've either lived at several places along, or traveled along the Lewis & Clark Trail from eastern MT to the Pacific. And have visited the recreation of their Fort at Astoria, OR.

What a life. Having been to Yellowstone and through the black hills area , I can only imagine what it was like back then. Still a lovely sight to behold to this day.

I too would have like to see all this country the way it was, especially the wildlife abundance on the Great Plains.

We're headed to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in June.....can't wait!

It was the first week in June 1987 when we were out there. It was the year before they had the big fires . We slept in tents and it got pretty cold a couple nights. I had Carhartt coveralls that I wore a couple nights because it was so cold. Plus my wife at that time took all the covers.

Just because you have them doesn't mean you have to wear them , but if you don't have them , you can't put them on if you need them.

Also , if you get the chance stop by the Cody Museum . It is well worth the visit.

Doesn't Yellowstone sometimes have cases of the hantavirus with the mice hanging around the tents 🏕.? Anyways, I’ve never been, but it sure looks nice there, I wouldn’t mind seeing the park sometime In the future.

Doesn't Yellowstone sometimes have cases of the hantavirus with the mice hanging around the tents 🏕.? Anyways, I’ve never been, but it sure looks nice there, I wouldn’t mind seeing the park sometime In the future.

Not that I've heard. Hantavirus could be in any building with mice if the mouse droppings become aerosolized.

I didn't see any mice running around. Probably because I was to busy watching that cow moose stomp the lawn chair . :eek:

There are five different museums in the Buffalo BIll Museum in Cody.

Rodeo's every weekend in the summer.

You can go into the east side of the Park from Cody, or go out to Cody that way.

There are five different museums in the Buffalo BIll Museum in Cody.

Rodeo's every weekend in the summer.

You can go into the east side of the Park from Cody, or go out to Cody that way.

We came out the East gate and headed towards Cody. The neatest experience we had was between the East gate and Cody. Seems they were introducing a new stamp commemorating the pony express riders. We stopped at a place with old West town buildings , a saloon , and a jail , plus other things when all of a sudden a guy dressed as a cowboy came galloping into this place on a horse at full speed and slid to almost a stop , jumped off that horse onto another that another guy was holding and away he went at full gallop. We didn't know what was going on till we got to the museum . As we were walking up to the doors , where a very large group of people were gathered , here came the same rider at full speed heading right at the group of people. He jumped off that horse , handed his saddle bags to someone and then we found out that he was carrying the new stamp.

Cody is a fun town in the summer.

There's jet air service to it, and if you drive, Beartooth Pass (+10,000 ft) isn't far away to drive up and over into Montana to Red Lodge. Very unique and scenic area that high up. BIG country!

Back