8 vs. 9 pellet 00 buck

• 8 pellet

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 9 pellet

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

LicensedToPill

Operator
I wanted to see what everyone’s opinion is on the 8 vs. 9 pellot 00 buckshot for home defense. I understand everyone’s situation, firearm, and environment is different. I currently use Federal LE Tactical 00 Buck (9 pellets) for my Mossberg 500 - ATI Tactical. It is pretty much impossible for me to find the same ammo in 8 pellets (never available). I am aware of the 9th pellet “flyer” issue. The longest distance in my house is about 25 yards and the ammo I use doesn’t begin to start to spread until 20-25 yards out of my firearm (~6 inch spread at that distance, but it also has FliteControl, which helps with the 9th pellet “flyer” issue). With the ammo I use and my 12 gauge, I have yet to see the 9th pellet “flyer” as a problem.

I'm not concerned about it. There are only two places where I would be using a shotgun, in a duck blind on some slough or in a home defense situation. Beyond those, it would be a handgun or rifle. Unless you are law enforcement, touching off a shotgun in public is foolhearty and even then???!!!

If your getting those kind of patterns that is very nice, my Wilson Combat 870 that was Vang Comp'd will do 4" at 25yds with the right loads, I have used a scatter gun a couple times in my life when it meant it, maybe I'm getting old but I still believe they still have a place in the armory, but they do seem to be fading nowadays to carbines and pcc's.

Back