testtest

911 +P?

Thunder

Alpha
Hey all,

I'm considering using Norma MHP ammo for defensive rounds in my 911. They are not advertised as +P but, with an 85 grain weight and 1280 FPS and 309 Ft lbs both at the muzzle. It's hard to not think it's a +P round and wish not to blow up my 911. Thoughts?

If it’s not headstamped as +P, it’s not +P…at least, not if it’s from a reputable manufacturer. And if it isn’t from a reputable manufacturer…stay far, far away from it.

Personally? 85gr is a .380, not a 9mm. I’d much sooner use a heavyweight JHP with reliable expansion out of short barrels, such as Micro HST to ensure proper penetration.

Hey all,

I'm considering using Norma MHP ammo for defensive rounds in my 911. They are not advertised as +P but, with an 85 grain weight and 1280 FPS and 309 Ft lbs both at the muzzle. It's hard to not think it's a +P round and wish not to blow up my 911. Thoughts?
From the owners manual.......

WARNING: The 911 pistol in .380ACP can be operated only with ammunition that conforms to SAAMI specifications . The use of reloaded and/or +P ammo will void the warranty as the pressures may exceed SAAMI specifications, which may be unsafe . Do not use ammunition that does not conform to SAAMI specifications . If you are unsure if your ammunition is manufactured to SAAMI specifications be sure to contact the ammunition manufacturer
to verify prior to use .

From the owners manual.......

WARNING: The 911 pistol in .380ACP can be operated only with ammunition that conforms to SAAMI specifications . The use of reloaded and/or +P ammo will void the warranty as the pressures may exceed SAAMI specifications, which may be unsafe . Do not use ammunition that does not conform to SAAMI specifications . If you are unsure if your ammunition is manufactured to SAAMI specifications be sure to contact the ammunition manufacturer
to verify prior to use .
I’m thinking it’s an uber-light 9mm to get specs like that.

If it’s a .380? Nope. Wouldn’t touch it for anything. That’s gotta be ridiculously overpressure.

I’m thinking it’s an uber-light 9mm to get specs like that.

If it’s a .380? Nope. Wouldn’t touch it for anything. That’s gotta be ridiculously overpressure.
Yea, he didn't say what caliber his 911 was so I just thought I would post that from the owners manual.

If it’s not headstamped as +P, it’s not +P…at least, not if it’s from a reputable manufacturer. And if it isn’t from a reputable manufacturer…stay far, far away from it.

Personally? 85gr is a .380, not a 9mm. I’d much sooner use a heavyweight JHP with reliable expansion out of short barrels, such as Micro HST to ensure proper penetration.
It is not headstamped +P and yes it is a .380 I believe Norma is as reliable as they come. They have been around for over 100 years and have been recognized by the NRA. https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-us/news/mhp-awarded-by-nra. I guess my question should be addressed to the staff at Springfield Armory. I just assumed one would chime in since they have an article recently on SA's website about MHP rounds.

It is not headstamped +P and yes it is a .380 I believe Norma is as reliable as they come. They have been around for over 100 years and have been recognized by the NRA. https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-us/news/mhp-awarded-by-nra. I guess my question should be addressed to the staff at Springfield Armory. I just assumed one would chime in since they have an article recently on SA's website about MHP rounds.
So, it’s not +P, and it’s from a reputable manufacturer. Should be safe to use.

That being said, I still wouldn’t use it.

Back