testtest

9mm ammo for the woods

PacNWvike

Master Class
I didn’t see a better place to put this, and I am not an advocate for 9mm woods carry. I do think there are appropriate locations where larger predators aren’t really issue that 9mm would be fine or other woods use. However would still want a solid load. So far I have found two that intrigue me, so between these two loads, does anyone have experience with them:

the Buffalo bore 147 +p outdoors man (reportedly killed a grizzly by a guide in Alaska)

Or the G9 124 grain +p woodsman

I can’t find a lot of information on the G9, but it looks good from the website.

I sometimes coyote hunt at night, and my 9mms have lights and red dots which are allowed. So I have used them to shoot coyotes. Which I don’t really need anything super special for but there are black bear around so was thinking of worst case scenario, what load would be best. Generally I have other rifle with me but sometimes I think it’s nice to just tote a pistol, less to carry.

I would also check out the Underwood offerings, and particularly this one:

Well it is cheaper so yes, another one to consider, will have to see if there are any reviews on there on it, see if I can’t learn a little more.

Coyote are thin skinned, so any JHP will do.

If bear are an actual concern, yeah, the 147gr HCFN would work, but…get a real magnum.
There's also the 'in betweener' - mtn lions. Quite a bit larger than a coyote, but still not as thick as a bear. A load like this could work well.

But of course that's pure conjecture, since I have never shot a cat, and I carry heavier calibers in the backcountry.

General hunting I carry my 1911 45 ACP. But coyote here, we can use artificial lights and we’re allowed to use dots that do not project a beam. So red dots are fine but lasers are not. Also night hunt outside of big game season. I thought it would be interesting to use a pistol but wanted my red dot as I shoot them way more accurately at distance. I was thinking of these loads as my best choice so I only had to pack one gun on this type of excursion. I wouldn’t say black bear are a total worry but they are around and have come across a fair share. Never charged or had issues but you never know when that one angry one shows up.

If bear are an actual concern, yeah, the 147gr HCFN would work, but…get a real magnum.
Well not a magnum, but my next purchase is going to be a optic ready 10mm. Maybe p220 legion or see what kimber has available.

I want to try more handgun hunting, 10 mm seems like best choice if using auto-loader although I may look into a couple
Magnum revolvers that I can mount a red dot on as well. Haven’t fully committed but that might have to wait till next year Or risk my wife kicking me out

Well not a magnum, but my next purchase is going to be a optic ready 10mm. Maybe p220 legion or see what kimber has available.

I want to try more handgun hunting, 10 mm seems like best choice if using auto-loader although I may look into a couple
Magnum revolvers that I can mount a red dot on as well. Haven’t fully committed but that might have to wait till next year Or risk my wife kicking me out
10mm is the equivalent of a .357.

I’d rather have the revolver.

10mm is the equivalent of a .357.

I’d rather have the revolver.
Not much experience on the wheel Huns outside 22lr. My buddy just bought one in 44 magnum so I will take that out for a test run and see what I think. If I love it, I might just have to go that route since it does seem a little better suited for the intended purpose.

As per prior posts "Cats" (aka Lions, Mountain lions, cougars) & wolves are also thinned skinned.

When I'm in non-griz woods I carry a 9mm with hot 9mm JHP loads.

Not worried about coyotes in my AOPs since the coyotes are more worried about the wolves getting them & run whenever they see a human IME.

Back