testtest

9mm?

Sld1959

Hellcat
I have never owned a 9x19 mm, or 9mm luger, pistol. I do own a 9x18 Makarov , but never the other. I was always .45 acp mainly in pistol, with a smattering of .380s. My revolvers were mainly. 44 mag and 357 magnum.

My doctor, who happens to be a shooting partner, advised I go to lighter calibers to slow down arthritis damage. So I just transitioned to .380 acp for pistol because I already had some, and the reloading equipment.

Now I have been considering getting a 9x19 pistol. I have been hesitant though because of the ammunition shortage, and the scarcity of handguns, like the Ronin. I have looked here and there but nothing real serious.

Question is, should I wait this out, or not let it bother me and start the search in earnest. Or just switch gears entirely and grab another. 357 and go for the other when things settle down.

I may be reading into your post - but it sounds like you want to buy something now - either the 9mm or .357. If you just have the want to buy now - change it up and go with the 9mm. (as you already have .357 covered) From my email inbox - it seems 9mm is becoming more available and prices are heading back in a downward direction. Still not 17 cents a round....but I'm not sure when we will see that again - maybe eventually..... Just my take. Enjoy the decision process - but slowing the arthritis has to be the priority, right?

I may be reading into your post - but it sounds like you want to buy something now - either the 9mm or .357. If you just have the want to buy now - change it up and go with the 9mm. (as you already have .357 covered) From my email inbox - it seems 9mm is becoming more available and prices are heading back in a downward direction. Still not 17 cents a round....but I'm not sure when we will see that again - maybe eventually..... Just my take. Enjoy the decision process - but slowing the arthritis has to be the priority, right?
Yeah, I am kinda in the mood to buy something lol. Probably too much time over the summer reading and looking at guns.

You can shoot .38 specials through the .357 and if your revolver has a fairly heavy frame recoil will be noticeably less as well as wear and tear on your hand. During the last year I've been shooting more of my .22 pistols. Far less expensive and no recoil to speck of.

I have never owned a 9x19 mm, or 9mm luger, pistol. I do own a 9x18 Makarov , but never the other. I was always .45 acp mainly in pistol, with a smattering of .380s. My revolvers were mainly. 44 mag and 357 magnum.

My doctor, who happens to be a shooting partner, advised I go to lighter calibers to slow down arthritis damage. So I just transitioned to .380 acp for pistol because I already had some, and the reloading equipment.

Now I have been considering getting a 9x19 pistol. I have been hesitant though because of the ammunition shortage, and the scarcity of handguns, like the Ronin. I have looked here and there but nothing real serious.

Question is, should I wait this out, or not let it bother me and start the search in earnest. Or just switch gears entirely and grab another. 357 and go for the other when things settle down.
It’ll be a sad day when I have to give up my 1911s in .45….
I started out with 9s (Beretta in the Army) and love my Hi Power! But even that one isn’t the same after i got used to .45 cal…..

Go for 9mm.

Ammo is coming down, and coming down fairly quickly. There were case lots available for $420/1k (+ shipping), which is about half of what it was going for at it’s height.

.357/.38, though, is still rare & expensive.

A 9mm 1911 is fun, no doubt. You can even get a little crazy and get a .38 Super barrel fitted (or other calibers, as well).

Otherwise, expand your horizons; the Sig P226 or P229 is a spectacular pistol, and upgrading to a Legion model is worth it…in plastic, the HK USP or P30 is a bombproof design (see Pistol Training’s 90k round test of a P30–and a USP is even tougher); the CZ75 is a classic, as well as the CZ P07 or P09.

And those just have hammers…get into strikers, and the sky’s the limit…but I’d advise cutting straight to the chase and getting a HK VP9—it’s really the best striker, polymer 9mm going, when looked at as a complete package.

9mm HG's in current scenario for much of the country makes sense in many ways. A .327 Federal Magnum revolver may also help because it can also use various .32 calibers too, but most 32 cal ammo of any sort is almost non existent right now. 9mm of almost whatever larger size HG that fits your grip comfortably is likely a good choice.

Shooting gloves in some ways may be an overlooked option to cushion hands and recoil too, possibly fingerless gloves?

Another option may be finding and trying out various HG's of either friends or rentals 1st before purchasing something?

I would also invest in more training - many of today's top-tier shooters are getting up there in age, and many have had to modify their technique in order to account for the ravages of time.

Getting some renewed instruction from older top-tier competitors could help you explore modifications to your technique that will not only produce less wear on your body, but also keep you at your current level of marksmanship - or maybe even better it! :)

In terms of the immediate switch to 9x19, I am inclined to suggest that you wait a bit longer, as ammo prices -even though they are falling- are still quite high as compared to post-pandemic levels. I'm not sure that we'll ever reach that kind of pricing again, but I think it still has quite a ways to fall before reaching the new normal.

^ Availability hasn't been a problem (at least not for a majority) for quite some time, now...which was unlike the last craze ('12-'13).

For much of the latter half of this current craziness, the supply was there.....just was at a really high premium.

You'll find most LE departments are going back to 9mm as the new ammunition is very effective and less total energy = less recoil = more shots on target because of the recovery. I had a 40 and went back to 45 and 9mm as they both have about the same energy. Big bullet moving slow = small bullet moving much faster.

I went shooting today after I finished went in to the gun store to check out some ammo they have blazer they are aluminum cases but really cheap 25 bucks for 9 mm 50 pk. I purchased a couple boxes hey it’s range bullets they had lots of it

I went shooting today after I finished went in to the gun store to check out some ammo they have blazer they are aluminum cases but really cheap 25 bucks for 9 mm 50 pk. I purchased a couple boxes hey it’s range bullets they had lots of it

That's not cheap and definitely not really cheap. You can get Blazer Brass on line everywhere for that price. I have been paying $14-$16 box for Winchester white box. And that ain't cheap either, but...

That's not cheap and definitely not really cheap. You can get Blazer Brass on line everywhere for that price. I have been paying $14-$16 box for Winchester white box. And that ain't cheap either, but...
I picked up 4 boxes of Monarch brass 9mm at Academy for less than $18 per box. There was plenty on the shelf and no one there buying it, so it seems that ammo is finally starting to arrive. In addition, AR ammo is totally stocked as well with no more room on the shelf.

I guess we are in a bad way in California everything is really high here like gas a everything else our level on what is cheap and what is expensive is way out of whack

Back