testtest

A $200 Shotgun SHOCKER: The Mossberg Maverick 88 Test

James Reeves tests the ultra-budget $200 Mossberg Maverick 88, one of the cheapest shotguns money can buy.

Great gun. Works fantastic

I have a Security 88 .
7+1 round capacity. I have slugs in it
Stays on 4 wheeler for unexpected encounters with hogs

I have about 50 rnds thru mine.. Just bought it on a whim one day i was at the gun shop. Thought it looked cool with the mag tube flush with the end of the barrel, and the dark earth color. Runs like a Mossy.. Only difference is the safety is down by the trigger, and not up on the receiver .

For those that are un-aware the “Maverick” version of Mossberg’s iconic shotgun is named for the county in Texas where Mossberg has its assembly plant. Eagle Pass Texas, Maverick County. The difference between the two shotguns are the “Maverick” version is synthetic stock and Forearm only, the Mossberg 500 version is the wood stock and forearm. Most if not all of the other components are identical. The picture attached is the Mossberg 500 anniversary gun that I made in grade 1A custom cut walnut wood for.
B96DAC4A-36E7-4FDE-89AD-D302AC6B768B.jpeg

My Mossberg M90A1 (or 2, whatever it is) has a bayonet lug so I got a parkerized bayonet to slap on there because a pump gun without a bayonet is like a day without sunshine.. It's a scary looking thing when so equipped. Lunge, thrust, parry.. haha
:LOL:
Mossberg makes some fine guns and they're all good.

For those that are un-aware the “Maverick” version of Mossberg’s iconic shotgun is named for the county in Texas where Mossberg has its assembly plant. Eagle Pass Texas, Maverick County. The difference between the two shotguns are the “Maverick” version is synthetic stock and Forearm only, the Mossberg 500 version is the wood stock and forearm. Most if not all of the other components are identical. The picture attached is the Mossberg 500 anniversary gun that I made in grade 1A custom cut walnut wood for. View attachment 20880
Beautiful

For those that are un-aware the “Maverick” version of Mossberg’s iconic shotgun is named for the county in Texas where Mossberg has its assembly plant. Eagle Pass Texas, Maverick County. The difference between the two shotguns are the “Maverick” version is synthetic stock and Forearm only, the Mossberg 500 version is the wood stock and forearm. Most if not all of the other components are identical. The picture attached is the Mossberg 500 anniversary gun that I made in grade 1A custom cut walnut wood for. View attachment 20880

Damn those are sexy. Much nicer than my Mossberg 500 American Field haha

I want one please ☝️

The 18.5" Maverick 88 Security is the first shotgun I ever purchased. That was almost a decade ago, and I have yet to experience any problems with the gun. The Maverick 88 line are excellent pump guns.

I'm getting tired of gun magazines and "guntubers" labelling anything affordable as "budget" guns. I see no reason to demean a manufacturer for offering a quality product at a reasonable price.

The 18.5" Maverick 88 Security is the first shotgun I ever purchased. That was almost a decade ago, and I have yet to experience any problems with the gun. The Maverick 88 line are excellent pump guns.

I'm getting tired of gun magazines and "guntubers" labelling anything affordable as "budget" guns. I see no reason to demean a manufacturer for offering a quality product at a reasonable price.
THIS ^^^^

When you are talking to people who actually know tactical shotguns, Mossberg is always in the conversation. So is the 870. I think sometimes when people finally get the scratch to buy that Benelli, they magically decide the 500 they used for the last 40 years is a POS.

Even as I save money and scrap brass and copper to get a Benelli, I am spending money on my 500. That gun is a living, breathing part of me. It’s not going anywhere.

One thing i like about the Mossy/Maverick over the 870, The shell lifter stays in the up position for loading. Makes reloads on the fly quicker/easier. And in the Winter your glove dosn't get stuck in the lifter, rendering the gun useless until you can get it un stuck..

When you are talking to people who actually know tactical shotguns, Mossberg is always in the conversation. So is the 870. I think sometimes when people finally get the scratch to buy that Benelli, they magically decide the 500 they used for the last 40 years is a POS.

Even as I save money and scrap brass and copper to get a Benelli, I am spending money on my 500. That gun is a living, breathing part of me. It’s not going anywhere.
My 590A1 18.5 is a solid back-up to my M4, and will remain in my inventory. A pump is a good complement to those that also have semi self-defense shotty's.

I do believe the Mavericks also have a trigger guard mounted safety where the 500/590 has the tang safety.

My first shotgun was a Mossy 500, 8-shot, rifle sights, special-ordered around 1977. Took me years to find a plain bead barrel for it. My second was a used M500 Turkey Gun, 20" vent rib barrel, just hella cool looking, $165 out the door. My third was a used plain barrel 28" I bought at an auction for $100. I chopped the barrel back to 18.5" and later bought a 26" VR IC barrel for it for skeet.

Then, finally, I lucked into a killer deal on an early, 20" 870 Wingmaster. Only change I made to it was add an extended mag.

I love the 500s, but I like the 870 even more. I like to say that the M500 is about 90-95% the gun the 870 is, at about half the price. That's value, my friends. ;)

870XM1.jpg

Back