testtest

A Forced Compromise - Optics for Hellcat Pro

It seems we have to compromise on choosing an optic for the Hellcat Pro. There is no green dot optic available to fit the slot on the Hellcat Pro, and using an adapter plate to mount something like a Holosun raises the optic to block the original sites. Springfield doesn't make suppressor height sites for the Hellcat Pro.
So, Holosun is the #1 rated optic, and the literature says GREEN is more clear to those of use with an astigmatism (33%), and is quicker to find for everyone. Green fades later in low light.
Meanwhile, optics are reliable, but having the back-up sites are always good to have.
So, what do I pick? The "next best" site with the lesser color or the better sight in green that better not fail?

It seems we have to compromise on choosing an optic for the Hellcat Pro. There is no green dot optic available to fit the slot on the Hellcat Pro, and using an adapter plate to mount something like a Holosun raises the optic to block the original sites. Springfield doesn't make suppressor height sites for the Hellcat Pro.
So, Holosun is the #1 rated optic, and the literature says GREEN is more clear to those of use with an astigmatism (33%), and is quicker to find for everyone. Green fades later in low light.
Meanwhile, optics are reliable, but having the back-up sites are always good to have.
So, what do I pick? The "next best" site with the lesser color or the better sight in green that better not fail?
I have two Springfield A. Elite model Handguns with Holosun 507C X2 on each, red dot. I also have astigmatism in both eyes since birth.
Red dot are perfect for me and I see them just fine with corrective glasses, also I have no need to worry about aligning the iron sights with the red dot just to shoot so it’s red dot only and I’m loving them both.

I have two Springfield A. Elite model Handguns with Holosun 507C X2 on each, red dot. I also have astigmatism in both eyes since birth.
Red dot are perfect for me and I see them just fine with corrective glasses, also I have no need to worry about aligning the iron sights with the red dot just to shoot so it’s red dot only and I’m loving them both

I know you just use the dot when it's working. If it fails, and everything fails once in a while, then you have the other sites for back-up. Does your red dot offer more than one reticle, such as the circle around the dot?

I know you just use the dot when it's working. If it fails, and everything fails once in a while, then you have the other sites for back-up. Does your red dot offer more than one reticle, such as the circle around the dot?

So…playing more and more with carry optics…I’ve found that back up irons really aren’t necessary, out to distances further than you would think.

I’ve done some shooting with the dot off on my optic setup (VP9/DPP) and I’ve found I can make reliable, accurate hits out to 25 yards with no dot, just using the “window” as a big-ass ghost ring (I don’t have suppressor height sights mounted, so there is no cowitness).

Food for thought.

So…playing more and more with carry optics…I’ve found that back up irons really aren’t necessary, out to distances further than you would think.

I’ve done some shooting with the dot off on my optic setup (VP9/DPP) and I’ve found I can make reliable, accurate hits out to 25 yards with no dot, just using the “window” as a big-ass ghost ring (I don’t have suppressor height sights mounted, so there is no cowitness).

Food for thought.
Here's an interview with Delta Force operator Kyle Morgan saying something similar about pistol dot sights when asked about everyday carry.

Food for thought.
Good observation ......... and helpful info!

Food for thought.
I noticed with my Walther and the Venom ( I can see the front blade) I can get hits that are accurate for windage, they are just high.

I concur with @HansGruber. If you build up competency and muscle memory with your red dot you can hit a target at 25yds relatively easily without it. I run many red dots - some red, some green - and although I prefer green, if I cared about co-witnessing with iron sights I wouldn’t let the color put me off.

I’ve said this before and I think it’s worth repeating - in all likelihood, if you have to pull your gun it won’t matter if your dot is working or not because you are going to point and shoot. It’ll all be over before you realize that you never saw your dot or irons. I do a quite a bit of private advanced handgun training with a red dot and it never ceases to amaze me that under pressure, drawing on a target, that I can get three shots off, never see my dot and still put three shots in the x-ring.

If you are new to red dots I recommend you get some training with it. Drawing from a holster, on the move, under pressure. You’ll be glad you did. Good luck.

I concur with @HansGruber. If you build up competency and muscle memory with your red dot you can hit a target at 25yds relatively easily without it. I run many red dots - some red, some green - and although I prefer green, if I cared about co-witnessing with iron sights I wouldn’t let the color put me off.

I’ve said this before and I think it’s worth repeating - in all likelihood, if you have to pull your gun it won’t matter if your dot is working or not because you are going to point and shoot. It’ll all be over before you realize that you never saw your dot or irons. I do a quite a bit of private advanced handgun training with a red dot and it never ceases to amaze me that under pressure, drawing on a target, that I can get three shots off, never see my dot and still put three shots in the x-ring.

If you are new to red dots I recommend you get some training with it. Drawing from a holster, on the move, under pressure. You’ll be glad you If t
If that's the case, I'll save the money and not get the optic. Thank you.

As much as red dots intrigue me, I've come to the conclusion that I'm slow to change and am too old to adopt them. But I have discovered high visibility sights and love them. Certain backgrounds are difficult for me to find regular black sights in the daylight, let alone in the dark and then I bought several pistols with these new fangled contraptions. Slap me silly!
Another conundrum. I'm cheap and I have multiple guns with plain black sights or 3 dot sights. Enjoy them as they are or spend money on upgrading sights? I guess it won't cost me a thing to ponder it a bit longer. :rolleyes:

Agreed. As long as your definition of precision at 40 yards is about 4" groups. Not that 40 yard shots are anymore precise with iron sights.
Agreed and as mentioned in many discussions not many defensive actions happen past the 25 yard mark, right?
I will say this I do find it much easier at multiple distances to acquire a POA with a red dot on my handgun then using iron sights.

Agreed and as mentioned in many discussions not many defensive actions happen past the 25 yard mark, right?
I will say this I do find it much easier at multiple distances to acquire a POA with a red dot on my handgun then using iron sights.
For sure. I'm just differentiating between the type of precision you get from a dot or irons and actual precision like you would get from a scope. Hitting a 4" gong consistently at 40 or 50 yards with a handgun ( unscoped) is precision IMO.

For sure. I'm just differentiating between the type of precision you get from a dot or irons and actual precision like you would get from a scope. Hitting a 4" gong consistently at 40 or 50 yards with a handgun ( unscoped) is precision IMO.
Agreed and I wish the outdoor range I frequent allowed using a metal plate closer than 100 yards, they say they don’t want ricochet issues. Can’t blame them.

Back