testtest

A Newbie Lesson in Making Loading Assumptions - .40 S&W, But Applicable to Other Calibers

markr6754

Elite
Founding Member
I recently received a new .40 S&W projectile from Everglades Ammo, a 165gr JHP. I’ve been really happy with their JHP projectiles for .380 ACP and 9mm Luger, so I was really anxious to test these 165gr JHP in my new Springfield EMP 40.
I’ve run a number of powders under my standard Berry’s 155gr CPFN projectiles, and they run great, as well as 4 different brands and weights of factory ammo.

As with many alternate projectile manufacturers, there is no published load data for Everglades Ammo, so I went with that most dangerous practice...I “assumed“ they were the same as Hornady’s XTPs. Hey, the pictures looked similar.

I selected VV 3N37 for this load, and some once fired R-P cases. Vihtavuori starting load for 165gr projectile is 7.3gr, but I went with 7.0gr to produce a softer load this first time out. I paired this with CCI 500 SPP and seated to 1.125” C.O.L., pretty standard fare for .40 S&W. I always plunk test new ammo in my barrel to ensure that it is loaded off the lands. These rounds plunked fine, so I loaded up 9 more to test at my first opportunity, which came this past Saturday.

As to shooting, they were suitably soft...probably softer than I care for, but they ran Straight and true to point of aim. I was very pleased with their overall performance. However, I could only load 4 rounds at a time. At the 5th round, the follower would not rise up, and the 5th round basically flopped around. Four were fine, a fifth was a no-go. Both magazines.

Okay, not cool, but my main purpose is to test these loads. As I said, they shot just fine.

I mentioned in another thread that I would try again at 1.200”...from my tested 1.250”...and TexasforLife caught my typo. He didn’t know it was a typo, but nonetheless, I’m grateful he took the time to comment on my posted data.

So where is this thread going? I made an assumption that because a picture of a bullet looked similar to another that I could run with that assumption and produce loads for my precious Springfield EMP. In the memorable words of Bugs Bunny...”What a maroon!”

Key learning here for me...if two projectiles have the same diameter, and the same basic design, but one weighs 10gr more than the other...the additional weight has to go somewhere...and that usually means UP. A 165gr JHP should be longer than a 155gr JHP in the same caliber...if they are both lead cores with copper jackets.

The attached picture is a simple comparison of the 3 different .40 S&W projectiles on my shelf. I added a few measurements pic to show just how different these 3 bullets actually are. Different lengths, different profiles, different distance to start of ogive - all reasons why swapping projectiles in a load requires a whole new load work up to ensure function, and most importantly, safety.

I hope that this information is helpful to someone else as we continue this journey together.

Attachments

• 8830929F-345A-4A67-AA69-D383C5AD07AC.jpeg
    8830929F-345A-4A67-AA69-D383C5AD07AC.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 323
I recently received a new .40 S&W projectile from Everglades Ammo, a 165gr JHP. I’ve been really happy with their JHP projectiles for .380 ACP and 9mm Luger, so I was really anxious to test these 165gr JHP in my new Springfield EMP 40.
I’ve run a number of powders under my standard Berry’s 155gr CPFN projectiles, and they run great, as well as 4 different brands and weights of factory ammo.

As with many alternate projectile manufacturers, there is no published load data for Everglades Ammo, so I went with that most dangerous practice...I “assumed“ they were the same as Hornady’s XTPs. Hey, the pictures looked similar.

I selected VV 3N37 for this load, and some once fired R-P cases. Vihtavuori starting load for 165gr projectile is 7.3gr, but I went with 7.0gr to produce a softer load this first time out. I paired this with CCI 500 SPP and seated to 1.125” C.O.L., pretty standard fare for .40 S&W. I always plunk test new ammo in my barrel to ensure that it is loaded off the lands. These rounds plunked fine, so I loaded up 9 more to test at my first opportunity, which came this past Saturday.

As to shooting, they were suitably soft...probably softer than I care for, but they ran Straight and true to point of aim. I was very pleased with their overall performance. However, I could only load 4 rounds at a time. At the 5th round, the follower would not rise up, and the 5th round basically flopped around. Four were fine, a fifth was a no-go. Both magazines.

Okay, not cool, but my main purpose is to test these loads. As I said, they shot just fine.

I mentioned in another thread that I would try again at 1.200”...from my tested 1.250”...and TexasforLife caught my typo. He didn’t know it was a typo, but nonetheless, I’m grateful he took the time to comment on my posted data.

So where is this thread going? I made an assumption that because a picture of a bullet looked similar to another that I could run with that assumption and produce loads for my precious Springfield EMP. In the memorable words of Bugs Bunny...”What a maroon!”

Key learning here for me...if two projectiles have the same diameter, and the same basic design, but one weighs 10gr more than the other...the additional weight has to go somewhere...and that usually means UP. A 165gr JHP should be longer than a 155gr JHP in the same caliber...if they are both lead cores with copper jackets.

The attached picture is a simple comparison of the 3 different .40 S&W projectiles on my shelf. I added a few measurements pic to show just how different these 3 bullets actually are. Different lengths, different profiles, different distance to start of ogive - all reasons why swapping projectiles in a load requires a whole new load work up to ensure function, and most importantly, safety.

I hope that this information is helpful to someone else as we continue this journey together.
That's a lot of bearing surface for a 165? I have some Sierra 165 I can check against or I might have some left?

I reloaded for years and then quit.... now back I'm into the Auto as well as Wheel Guns. Wheel guns much easier!
Cutting to the Chase. Ask Hornady for one of their bullet/cartridge wall charts. It gives all kinds of info. I have
used it to figure out best guess seating on non-big name bullets.
Not one loading manual has a bullet I load. I have one (Badman Bullets) that will furnish load data for their
bullets. Tell him the powder and Patrick will send you some load data.
I use the dimensions from different manufactures and match best I can to the bullet I have. Seating depth is
ultra important on autos. Of course pressure can change greatly from too much depth. But autos are really
freakin' squirrelly if we get a bit too long or short on the COAL. It's great fun to run a 30+ mag out but when
it keeps stopping it can be nerve wracking. My wheel gun never complained about a round being a couple of
thousandths off ever. On the other hand, I never had the fun of a 30 round cylinder either!
Anyways if you know the size of the factory bullet and the one you are using. Check how deep the factory is
being seated and seat yours the same. Taking in to consideration we are talking being the style, weight....etc.
Hope I'm not being confusing.....

That's a lot of bearing surface for a 165? I have some Sierra 165 I can check against or I might have some left?
If you have the Sierra check the measurements. I’d appreciate it. It is a lot of bearing surface. I paid no attention to it at the time, but I do recall thinking...my, that’s a mighty impressive projectile, and a lot rounder tip profile than I’d expected.

I use the dimensions from different manufactures and match best I can to the bullet I have. Seating depth is
ultra important on autos. Of course pressure can change greatly from too much depth.
Anyways if you know the size of the factory bullet and the one you are using. Check how deep the factory is
being seated and seat yours the same. Taking in to consideration we are talking being the style, weight....etc.
Hope I'm not being confusing.....
It was an interesting study...right before I received my Springfield EMP I bought 4 boxes of factory ammo. Winchester USA Ready 165gr, heavy .419“ crimp, 1.120” seating depth, FMJ flat nose
Herter’s Target, 180gr, .420” crimp, 1.128” seating depth, FMJ flat nose
Fiocchi Pistol Shooting Dynamics, 170gr, .422” crimp, 1.132” seating depth, FMJ truncated cone
Maxx-Tech by GH Ammunition, 180gr, .4195“ crimp, 1.125” seating depth, FMJ flat nose

No hollow points in the mix. Interesting that the 170gr at 1.132” C.O.L. gave me no problems whatsoever.

I shot up all of the Winchester and Fiocchi, so I can’t pull the bullets for measurements, but I have some Herters and Maxx-Tech left. I’ll plan to pull them apart and get direct projectile measurements.

I just dig into my boneyard and found some 40 S&W I bought years ago. Fiocchi 170gr and Winchester Target (White Box). The Fiocchi rounds measure between 1.117” and 1.123”, pretty loosey goosey from my perspective. But then the Winchester measured from 1.118“ to 1.129”.

I’m beginning to understand why I started reloading. I don’t know the full ramifications of a variance of 0.011” as it affects performance, but as that’s twice the difference I‘m considering for my Everglades Ammo 165 gr JHP seating depth, I’m thinking the longer, rounder profile of this bullet may require even more than .005” depth adjustment.

To be continued...

It was an interesting study...right before I received my Springfield EMP I bought 4 boxes of factory ammo. Winchester USA Ready 165gr, heavy .419“ crimp, 1.120” seating depth, FMJ flat nose
Herter’s Target, 180gr, .420” crimp, 1.128” seating depth, FMJ flat nose
Fiocchi Pistol Shooting Dynamics, 170gr, .422” crimp, 1.132” seating depth, FMJ truncated cone
Maxx-Tech by GH Ammunition, 180gr, .4195“ crimp, 1.125” seating depth, FMJ flat nose

No hollow points in the mix. Interesting that the 170gr at 1.132” C.O.L. gave me no problems whatsoever.

I shot up all of the Winchester and Fiocchi, so I can’t pull the bullets for measurements, but I have some Herters and Maxx-Tech left. I’ll plan to pull them apart and get direct projectile measurements.

I just dig into my boneyard and found some 40 S&W I bought years ago. Fiocchi 170gr and Winchester Target (White Box). The Fiocchi rounds measure between 1.117” and 1.123”, pretty loosey goosey from my perspective. But then the Winchester measured from 1.118“ to 1.129”.

I’m beginning to understand why I started reloading. I don’t know the full ramifications of a variance of 0.011” as it affects performance, but as that’s twice the difference I‘m considering for my Everglades Ammo 165 gr JHP seating depth, I’m thinking the longer, rounder profile of this bullet may require even more than .005” depth adjustment.

To be continued...
Every so often I find ammo like that also(rifle and pistol)!

Back