testtest

A Trip Down Under. “Literally”

No we didn’t leave the country.
So my lady and I wanted to do something different for the Labor Day holiday so off we went to what is known as (Mammoth Cave) in cave city Kentucky. Definitely being a tourist attraction it was interesting.
IMG_4657.jpeg

After walking down a 250 foot staircase I turned around and took this picture.
From there it was a constant downward trek into what became incredibly large sections dimly lit to keep the bats from freaking out.
IMG_4658.jpeg

There is still some digging going on.
IMG_4660.jpeg

Flash photography is not allowed I guess also to prevent from freaking out the bats but I didn’t see any.
IMG_4659.jpeg

Being in a cave I expected small walkways however this was cavernous, no pun intended.
IMG_4661.jpeg

This was “at one point” being opened up to what was originally an opening in the cave wall to the outside on the side of the mountain but collapsed and being left that way.
All in all we spent an hour underground where it was about 50 degrees.

No we didn’t leave the country.
So my lady and I wanted to do something different for the Labor Day holiday so off we went to what is known as (Mammoth Cave) in cave city Kentucky. Definitely being a tourist attraction it was interesting.
View attachment 43261
After walking down a 250 foot staircase I turned around and took this picture.
From there it was a constant downward trek into what became incredibly large sections dimly lit to keep the bats from freaking out.
View attachment 43262
There is still some digging going on.
View attachment 43263
Flash photography is not allowed I guess also to prevent from freaking out the bats but I didn’t see any.
View attachment 43264
Being in a cave I expected small walkways however this was cavernous, no pun intended. View attachment 43265
This was “at one point” being opened up to what was originally an opening in the cave wall to the outside on the side of the mountain but collapsed and being left that way.
All in all we spent an hour underground where it was about 50 degrees.

Super cool!

The Lewis & Clark Caverns in my state aren't as expansive.

Went to see some caves way back when the early men were still digging them! I'm exaggerating a little, but it was a long time ago. I think I remember they were called "Crystal Caves" somewhere in south Tennessee. All those natural caves are pretty interesting. Some of the prettiest ones I've ever seen are some of the underwater caves down in north central Florida.

Back