testtest

A True Story

N

nmedge

Last month I went to go target practice at a old gravel pit. I have been going to this place for almost 20 years. It is in a pretty deserted place on the outskirts of town. I was shooting at targets when about out of the corner of my eye I see a person not walking on the road but coming out of the desert and trying to get behind me and my vehicle. I was shooting a Springfield tactical 45acp pistol. I drop the mag and insert a full mag and turn around and ask him what he wants. Now, its almost 100 degrees out and he is wearing a hoodie. He starts to approach me and I tell him to stay back and again I ask him what he wants. He says nothing. Again he starts to move forward again and I point the gun at him! He stops and says he needs to talk to me, I tell him talk, he moves forward again. I tell him one more step and he is going to get shot! At this time I know I have a problem, with one hand I reach for my phone and call the sheriff and tell them I need help. Mind you I am still pointing the gun at this guy! He tries to approach me again and I fire one round at his feet, he stops. I keep asking him what's his problem, he says nothing. The sheriff shows up and while frisking him they find a knife in the sleeve of his hoodie! They said the guy was on something and probably wanted to steal my truck but had to get my keys. Moral of the story, even at the range always keep a loaded pistol on you at all times and be aware of your surroundings! Sheriff asked if I had to would I have shot the guy, I said you bet! He wanted to know if I would stop coming out there to target practice and I told him no. Be very careful these days. Threats are everywhere and people will hurt you.

I'm glad I belong to a private range. Still no guarantee, but it would be very difficult for some JO to make his way back to me without going through some, uh, problems. Through the woods I guess, but it'd be a looooong hike.

You have to be screwed up to approach a guy shooting a gun with a knife and try to steal his truck. Jeez..

Last month I went to go target practice at a old gravel pit. I have been going to this place for almost 20 years. It is in a pretty deserted place on the outskirts of town. I was shooting at targets when about out of the corner of my eye I see a person not walking on the road but coming out of the desert and trying to get behind me and my vehicle. I was shooting a Springfield tactical 45acp pistol. I drop the mag and insert a full mag and turn around and ask him what he wants. Now, its almost 100 degrees out and he is wearing a hoodie. He starts to approach me and I tell him to stay back and again I ask him what he wants. He says nothing. Again he starts to move forward again and I point the gun at him! He stops and says he needs to talk to me, I tell him talk, he moves forward again. I tell him one more step and he is going to get shot! At this time I know I have a problem, with one hand I reach for my phone and call the sheriff and tell them I need help. Mind you I am still pointing the gun at this guy! He tries to approach me again and I fire one round at his feet, he stops. I keep asking him what's his problem, he says nothing. The sheriff shows up and while frisking him they find a knife in the sleeve of his hoodie! They said the guy was on something and probably wanted to steal my truck but had to get my keys. Moral of the story, even at the range always keep a loaded pistol on you at all times and be aware of your surroundings! Sheriff asked if I had to would I have shot the guy, I said you bet! He wanted to know if I would stop coming out there to target practice and I told him no. Be very careful these days. Threats are everywhere and people will hurt you.
I am glad that it turned out ok for you. We never know when or where trouble will find us.

With that said I would never fire a warning shot at someone. I would have continued to warn the person to stop and if they continued to come closer , I would have stated very loudly " One more step and I fire" , and after that I would have fired to stop the threat.

Thanks for sharing your ordeal.

Situational awareness is your friend .As I have said in other posts.I use to be considered paranoid because I was "always" as my wife would say "lookin around" .Just think about the possibility of someone coming out of nowhere and running at you.Gotta decide fast.To think in these terms a few years ago would have been unthinkable. Today we need to stay on our toes to survive. What did they say in the movie ? "Stay Frosty"

I know it's virtually impossible, but after calling 911 you should have started the video recording with your phone. Without it and the accompanying audio, you'd get your butt thrown in jail, maybe charged with a crime, certainly sued civilly by his family, and life ruined (had you been forced to shoot the perp). I can think of some self-defense shootings recently where video saved the defendants butt.

Good handling of it though!

That guy literally brought a knife to a gun fight (almost). That was not going to work out well for him if it escalated. Bravo on keeping a cool head.
You'd be surprised at how fast someone can get killed with a knife even if the attacker is shot. A fatal stab wound could still be inflicted before a knife wielding attacker succumb's to a gunshot wound.

Distance is your friend from a threat with short range weapons and making sure you have a clear path to move back or to the side quickly if necessary is a benefit to surviving a knife encounter.

You'd be surprised at how fast someone can get killed with a knife even if the attacker is shot. A fatal stab wound could still be inflicted before a knife wielding attacker succumb's to a gunshot.

Distance is your friend from a threat with short range weapons and making sure you have a clear path to move back or to the side quickly if necessary is a benefit to surviving a knife encounter.
Thankfully i have no experience with that. Could be compounded if the attacker is high on something that masks the gunshot pain. Crazy world that we all sort of have this stuff in the back of our minds.

Whew! Tense situation. Good lesson. I also shoot in relatively remote locations, and I have considered the same scenario. What if some ne'er do well hanging out in the woods decides I'm a good source of some guns and new vehicle? I agree that you need to keep a loaded gun at the ready, besides the one(s) you are playing with, and keep your head on a swivel.

I know it's virtually impossible, but after calling 911 you should have started the video recording with your phone. Without it and the accompanying audio, you'd get your butt thrown in jail, maybe charged with a crime, certainly sued civilly by his family, and life ruined (had you been forced to shoot the perp). I can think of some self-defense shootings recently where video saved the defendants butt.

Good handling of it though!

Is he in California ?

I also shoot at a remote, unattended range as it allows me to practice draw from cover and other self defense positions that are forbidden at attended ranges. Sometimes, I go with only my EDC and a bucket of practice ammo but I always keep my defense magazines within arms reach if needed.

I commend you on your presents of mind and measured response to the situation.

Back