testtest

After 50 Years, the Army and Marine Corps Are Closing In on Dumping Brass-Cased Ammo

Very interesting article. I was wondering why not aluminum until I read about the lack of heat transfer with polymer. I've been shooting a lot of aluminum through my 45s and 10 lately with great results. Since I don't have the equipment to reload it's been a nice cost saving alternative.

That's pretty slick. I'd think they'd focus as well, on the projectile weights and materials? I don't see any real reason a lighter-weight, composite-something wouldn't be able to get similar penetration, and especially expansion, as any of today's standard projectiles...at a substantial weight savings.

There are four manufacturers in the competition.

The US mil designed the 6.8 cal. bullet & established a performance level.

Of the four only Sig has a brass/steel cartridge, the .277 Sig Fury. The rest have various polymer case designs.

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/ammo/277-sig-fury-hybrid-case-design/

So at least Sig is jumping on the market with their cartridge proposal. Their rifle resembles AR-type features.

My concern is AR-type features does not include our current AR platforms. I’m guessing that the cartridge re-design is years away but my question still stands that the article did not address wether current cartridge design will still be available for the non military?

I’m wondering how much ammunition can one person stock up on to satisfy the need our current AR platforms will require if the S..t truly hits the fan. I can’t help but think pushing the re-design of popular AR platform cartridges to a cartridge that could require a total
re-design of our current AR’s is one way to disarm us??

Huh.

I wonder if people thought the change to 5.56 back in the 60’s was a way to get rid of the surplus .30-06...

This isn’t a big conspiracy to get rid of surplus 556. This isn’t the first time Big Green has looked at changing calibers, or even getting away from brass-cased ammo...back in the early 1980’s, they were looking at the 4.6mm caseless in HK’s G11, in the “Project Salvo” tests...

Huh.

I wonder if people thought the change to 5.56 back in the 60’s was a way to get rid of the surplus .30-06...

This isn’t a big conspiracy to get rid of surplus 556. This isn’t the first time Big Green has looked at changing calibers, or even getting away from brass-cased ammo...back in the early 1980’s, they were looking at the 4.6mm caseless in HK’s G11, in the “Project Salvo” tests...

Lessons learned from Afghanistan drove this requirement.

Back