testtest

Amateur Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow ! there are still ham operators ? ham radio & short wave listening were very popular when I was young. I was a 2533 in the Marines & part of the time had a jeep with a radio mounted in it.put out 1000 watts single side band.You can broadcast around the world on 1000 watts single side band.While out in the desert at 29 palms we were doing live fire exercises.After we shut down for the night I would use a phony call sign and go on the 40 meter band cq,cq,cq this is K9JGN.Lucky I didn't get caught

I had a novice ticket way back when. Hated the CW so backed off. Funny CB came along that was cool. I could use an AF radio I had access to at 1kw. Drive the CB'rs nuts as I could peg S meters all over the place!! Once worked skip on a 5w input home CB unit and talked to a guy up in Alaska. Not bad from NY.

After I ret'd from the Navy I worked retail for awhile (did not enjoy it one bit), and our portable in-store radios (walkie-talkies basically) would pickup the drive-thru window transmission from the fast food joint down the street. We tried to place orders, but they never heard us. Would have been fun. :)

There is no novice ticket anymore, technician is the first ticket, that’s what I got, with this ticket, I can use anything 50mhz and up, was going for general class so I can get on HF, but FCC is considering giving techs more privileges, so I am just waiting.

As much as I disliked code they should have maintained 5 wpm..... that way in an emergency, and you only have carrier wave or even a flash light, you can still communicate.

Never did get a license but as a kid talked to people all over the world on my uncle's radio, W8NJM. Also listened on one of his old receivers many nights in my youth. Always had a lot of respect for HAM operators and all the good they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back