testtest

Any Security System Experts Out There?

ChanceMcCall

Master Class
Once in a while, people will post about gun safes which is an important topic but I have never seen an authoritative thread on home security.

What exterior doors are best and why;
What brands and types of locks should be used;
What should be done about windows along with detailed information on brands, types, etc;
Exterior lighting issues;
What electronic security systems with pros and cons and what should they include.

Any takers?

I’m hesitant to really get in to this, because I really don’t want to give away a whole lot on my home...but I do think that this is what people should focus on first when it comes to protecting their homes from intruders—not firearms.

The best way to come out on top in a home invasion is to never allow the invaders access in the first place...

I’m gonna give this some thought, and add what I can. I will say, I found when I bought our home about 10 years ago that there weren’t a whole lot of off-the-shelf options, and I needed to have custom/bespoke work done...maybe things have changed?

I used to be in the security business years ago. I figured out really fast that people tend to be over confident in them. I think when you understand that they are only designed to slow people down, you are more able to use common sense on ways to accomplish that. I put security systems in very expensive homes and just because they did not like any style of motion detector style lights they would not install them. I just shook my head, did what my boss told me to do and punched a clock so to speak.
The biggest way to slow down someone is to surprise them. That could be as simple as a person trying to get in a garage door knows all they have to do is use a wire to reach under and pull the spring loaded lock that latches each side of a garage door. However do they count on a c clamp on the rail as well? do they count on a 120v motion detector hooked up to a siren?
They always choose the easiest way and one they have some practice with so it goes smoothly. Always.
Other than that motion lights motion lights motion lights. Besides always choosing a way they know best/is easiest, they do not what to be doing it under super bright leds.
When in the security business, everyone knew and it was proven that the little security sign or sticker was actually the best defense of the system and kept more people from trying than any other part of the entire system.

I used to be in the security business years ago. I figured out really fast that people tend to be over confident in them. I think when you understand that they are only designed to slow people down, you are more able to use common sense on ways to accomplish that. I put security systems in very expensive homes and just because they did not like any style of motion detector style lights they would not install them. I just shook my head, did what my boss told me to do and punched a clock so to speak.
The biggest way to slow down someone is to surprise them. That could be as simple as a person trying to get in a garage door knows all they have to do is use a wire to reach under and pull the spring loaded lock that latches each side of a garage door. However do they count on a c clamp on the rail as well? do they count on a 120v motion detector hooked up to a siren?
They always choose the easiest way and one they have some practice with so it goes smoothly. Always.
Other than that motion lights motion lights motion lights. Besides always choosing a way they know best/is easiest, they do not what to be doing it under super bright leds.
When in the security business, everyone knew and it was proven that the little security sign or sticker was actually the best defense of the system and kept more people from trying than any other part of the entire system.
C-clamp(s): 👍

This is some good stuff.

I added motion lights a few years ago, some really obnoxious ones at that...anyone at my door after dark is gonna feel like they’re center stage at Madison Square Garden....

My exterior is fairly well lit at night, as well...nothing obtrusive, but enough that it says I care.

Cameras, too. Obvious ones, and not so obvious ones covering “blind spots”.

Having a dog that likes to let everyone know when someone comes on her turf is pretty handy, too...she’s not gonna attack—but she’s gonna let us know somebody’s out there.

This is some good stuff.

I added motion lights a few years ago, some really obnoxious ones at that...anyone at my door after dark is gonna feel like they’re center stage at Madison Square Garden....

My exterior is fairly well lit at night, as well...nothing obtrusive, but enough that it says I care.

Cameras, too. Obvious ones, and not so obvious ones covering “blind spots”.

Having a dog that likes to let everyone know when someone comes on her turf is pretty handy, too...she’s not gonna attack—but she’s gonna let us know somebody’s out there.
That is another proven fact besides yippy dogs, most people can not tell if a dog weighs 25 pounds or 70 and most people won't bother if they hear a dog.

Another thing to note is whatever alarm system you choose don't hang signage and decals broadcasting it because if there's a way to defeat your particular system, someone will only need to do a quick Google search.
Actually, advertising a security system is a pretty good soft defense; a lot of criminals will skip anyplace with an alarm to avoid the hassle.

I suppose you could advertise one system while actually having another of you think the bypass thing is a real issue...

Actually, advertising a security system is a pretty good soft defense; a lot of criminals will skip anyplace with an alarm to avoid the hassle.

I suppose you could advertise one system while actually having another of you think the bypass thing is a real issue...
Another thing to note is whatever alarm system you choose don't hang signage and decals broadcasting it because if there's a way to defeat your particular system, someone will only need to do a quick Google search.

Both of you are correct. For the avg person a sign will work. On the other hand they are not hard to get around. Again if you think of it as a way to slow them down and throw a wrench in their plan, you are better off.

I did some home security work during my time as a home improvement contractor. My business
(Quality Handyman Services) back in the late 90’s was very busy. Most of the work I did besides building decks, painting and carpentry was installing motion lights and upgrading to solid wood doors and new windows.
Unfortunately back then security systems were not that prevalent without paying $$$$ and then pay for monitoring. Today there are multiple choices with Simply Safe being very popular, depending on what you add on it can cost but it is a stand alone system that is secure and can’t be bypassed or hacked. You can also add cellular to it so you can monitor what’s going on in your home and then make calls for help. There is one thing I pushed people to do not matter what system they chose was to include a inside flood monitoring system in case of a broken pipe. I can’t tell you how much work I got replacing flooring and cabinets from water damage.

Solid wood or reinforced steel doors. GOOD deadbolts, not the crap you buy at Home Depot. Install strikers and steel backing plates with 4” screws.

I have always replaced the screws in every house I have lived in, rented or owned. They are normally screwed into a piece of door trim that is held on by a couple short braid nails.
Excellent advice Bassbob

I have always replaced the screws in every house I have lived in, rented or owned. They are normally screwed into a piece of door trim that is held on by a couple short braid nails.
Excellent advice Bassbob

You should see the way I framed the doors in my house ( I gutted the house in 2017 after a flood). You aren't kicking my doors in that I promise you. It'll take a ram and I would guess the door would give first.

I did some home security work during my time as a home improvement contractor. My business
(Quality Handyman Services) back in the late 90’s was very busy. Most of the work I did besides building decks, painting and carpentry was installing motion lights and upgrading to solid wood doors and new windows.
Unfortunately back then security systems were not that prevalent without paying $$$$ and then pay for monitoring. Today there are multiple choices with Simply Safe being very popular, depending on what you add on it can cost but it is a stand alone system that is secure and can’t be bypassed or hacked. You can also add cellular to it so you can monitor what’s going on in your home and then make calls for help. There is one thing I pushed people to do not matter what system they chose was to include a inside flood monitoring system in case of a broken pipe. I can’t tell you how much work I got replacing flooring and cabinets from water damage.

The problem with almost all of the security companies and certainly the packaged systems like Simple Safe is they are wireless. For less than $30.00 I can buy exactly what I need to neutralize any wireless system.

Systems should be hardwired period, end of story. How they are monitored is a choice with a variety of pros and cons. To me redundancy is the answer.

I'm far from an expert on this, but I seem to know more than the local and national security companies I've talked to. I'm hoping we will have a real expert among use that can educate us all.

The problem with almost all of the security companies and certainly the packaged systems like Simple Safe is they are wireless. For less than $30.00 I can buy exactly what I need to neutralize any wireless system.

Systems should be hardwired period, end of story. How they are monitored is a choice with a variety of pros and cons. To me redundancy is the answer.

I'm far from an expert on this, but I seem to know more than the local and national security companies I've talked to. I'm hoping we will have a real expert among use that can educate us all.
Hardwired is simply defeated by cutting the internet line to the house so no signal can be sent.

Simplisafe upgraded their system a few years back with more advanced encryption so signal cloning devices can't hack their system and also Simplisafe use cellphone call-out incase of a down network.

To your point some systems are easily defeated with cheap devices found online and that's the reason for my statement in post #8 to not post what security system you are using because thieves are getting crafty with cheap technology.

Hardwired is simply defeated by cutting the internet line to the house so no signal can be sent.

Simplisafe upgraded their system a few years back with more advanced encryption so signal cloning devices can't hack their system and also Simplisafe use cellphone call-out incase of a down network.

To your point some systems are easily defeated with cheap devices found online and that's the reason for my statement in post #8 to not post what security system you are using because thieves are getting crafty with cheap technology.

Depends on the system. The one my wife designed you can cut the cable to the entire neighborhood and we're still good.

I'm assuming it has a cellular or satellite call out?
The data is networked and routed through wifi as well as hardwired to a dedicated hard drive which is not easily accessible and virtually impossible to find, as it is not located within the living space. Cameras capture the entire length of the cable line from the pole to the house as well. So cut the cable? Smile, your picture is now safely stored where you will never find it and you don't even have a clue it exists.

Back