testtest

Anyone else fall in love with a gun just based on how it looks?

Guns&aweiner

Operator
Right now I have the opportunity to sell my XDS Mod 2 and purchase the new Ruger 9 max and completely break even without spending a dime. I know the Ruger is smaller, holds more rounds, night sights, optics ready, etc. BUT…I am just having a hard time parting with the XDS pretty much due to simply how it looks. I could just sit there and stare at this gun all day. In fact I liked it so much that I bought it in both a 9 and a 45. I know the Ruger is the more “practical” gun but I’m having a hard time making this trade off. I mean just look at the picture of the twins together 😍

I know some of you will say you would never trade in any gun, which is fair. The only way I’m able to get the Ruger without my wife beating my ass with a flip flop is if I give up one of my guns. The XDS makes the most sense in that regard as the hellcat rdp was recently acquired and the shield plus is my edc. (Reliability for me so far and the comfort when shooting it is off the charts so the shield won’t be going)

Anyone else here just absolutely nuts about one of their guns even if they have other ones that “do the same job better”??

Attachments

• B91D334F-5902-45CD-88C4-59EA7AD72558.jpeg
    B91D334F-5902-45CD-88C4-59EA7AD72558.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 109
I’m personally not impressed with many Ruger semi autos, including this one.

How so? Everything I’ve read and watched has been pretty positive besides having to use a tool to field strip it. Even from reviewers that typically seem to have no issue sharing criticism when it’s due. Would love to hear yours and anyone else’s feedback that may get me unstuck from what seems like a rock and a hard place.

I dislike the way they look. The triggers are usually terrible. They feel like junk. They just strike me as a step or two above Taurus semi autos.
Just my take brother. Everything ain’t for everybody.

No worries man that’s why I was asking. If they are junky I’d rather know ahead of time. I’ll keep doing my research on it and see if I can dig up similar sentiments.

Right now I have the opportunity to sell my XDS Mod 2 and purchase the new Ruger 9 max and completely break even without spending a dime. I know the Ruger is smaller, holds more rounds, night sights, optics ready, etc. BUT…I am just having a hard time parting with the XDS pretty much due to simply how it looks. I could just sit there and stare at this gun all day. In fact I liked it so much that I bought it in both a 9 and a 45. I know the Ruger is the more “practical” gun but I’m having a hard time making this trade off. I mean just look at the picture of the twins together 😍

I know some of you will say you would never trade in any gun, which is fair. The only way I’m able to get the Ruger without my wife beating my ass with a flip flop is if I give up one of my guns. The XDS makes the most sense in that regard as the hellcat rdp was recently acquired and the shield plus is my edc. (Reliability for me so far and the comfort when shooting it is off the charts so the shield won’t be going)

Anyone else here just absolutely nuts about one of their guns even if they have other ones that “do the same job better”??
Hah, your wife's likely right even if she isn't? :) I enjoy guns, everyone chose because I like it for a particular purpose. Trade something? Likely not. Buy another of something else? Likely will. What it comes down to with me, is do I like it, need it or really just want it? Many times a picture of admiration does just fine. Besides, if you have a fully functioning whatever that you enjoy, why trade it for something that may be questionable? New doesn't always mean better anymore than bigger is better or more capacity is better. That's just my thoughts in there someplace.... Best advice is keep wife happy.

No worries man that’s why I was asking. If they are junky I’d rather know ahead of time. I’ll keep doing my research on it and see if I can dig up similar sentiments.
Just go check one out and decide for yourself brother. Plenty of people like them. Taurus too. There are a ton of guys, even here, who like and carry LCPs. I had one. I gave it away. Absolutely no interest in it for me.

I’m with @Bassbob ...Ruger autos just don’t do anything for me...besides, maybe, the 22/45 Mk2...besides the almighty pain in the nethers to strip them.

I’ve owned a few of them, too...I was a kinda excited about the American in .45...until I shot one.

Dunno. I think I’d be getting a S&W Shield+ if I was getting one of the 9mm pocket rockets.

But that’s me; have a buddy that thinks the Ruger P-series pistols are some of the best autos built, and can run his P89 like wildfire....so, maybe there’s something to ‘em.

I’m with @Bassbob ...Ruger autos just don’t do anything for me...besides, maybe, the 22/45 Mk2...besides the almighty pain in the nethers to strip them.

I’ve owned a few of them, too...I was a kinda excited about the American in .45...until I shot one.

Dunno. I think I’d be getting a S&W Shield+ if I was getting one of the 9mm pocket rockets.

But that’s me; have a buddy that thinks the Ruger P-series pistols are some of the best autos built, and can run his P89 like wildfire....so, maybe there’s something to ‘em.

Shield + is the way to go. Only down fall is the white dot sights on it but easy enough to swap out.

One of my favorite pistols is my Archon Type B. I think it’s one of the coolest designs I’ve seen (I think the same thing about my Beretta Neos) and it’s a fantastic shooter, but it’s one of those guns that people love or hate. There doesn’t seem to be any in between, but I didn’t buy it for anyone else and if I could only keep one of my guns I would be hard pressed to give up the Archon.

You be you and shoot what you want.

yes, my CZ 75 B 9MM, my CZ 97 B .45 ACP, and anyone of my 1911's.

and all my 6" revolvers, and my 2 snub nosed ones as well

the classic looks of hammer fired guns. it's what started our history of gun making.

i have several polymer guns, of many brands, which they are all very dependable.

but they are still "just plastic" guns with really no style, no flair, no past history of classiness.

i venture to guess the long term value of any classic hammer fired gun, to a "plastic gun", which in time, may crack at stress points due to fatigue, over metals.

Basically, all of mine were love at first sight 💕….

(Then, just like with the women in my life, I start finding out things I didn’t know….)

But I think I see what you’re getting at - there’s a strong asthetic part of getting a new firearm. Radical designs like Glock, the french FAMAS rifle, Steyr AUG etc catch some people’s eye right off and turn others away. A lot like cars…
Whats ugly or fugly to some will be futuristic to others. Doesn’t have much to do with functionality, always…

RUger pistols always had the rep of being ugly and heavy but solid workhorses. I liked several of them and they shot well for me.

The new Max was definitely on my list until I noticed there was no rail. For me that was a deal breaker. For versatility sake I want both optics ready and a rail.

Yeah, I kinda did. I wanted another handgun to compliment my VP9, something smaller and lighter, but certainly not a sub-compact. I live in NJ after all, so no CCW. Something that small would be silly, right? And I decided that I'd stay with 9mm due to ammo cost/shortages (I just didn't want to start a whole new stash of another caliber),

Spent a few hours on-line perusing and stumbled upon a Hellcat in FDE. It had a vibe that just screamed 'fun'. Thought it'd be way too small but I liked the idea of the mag extensions for a more positive grip. My local gun shop had a black one in stock and one available as a rental. I put about 30 rounds through and was really pleased with how it handled. I ordered an non-OSP FDE from out of state and it's presently at my FFL awaiting completion of NJ red tape. Also the mags had to be pinned to 10rds.

CCW or not, I can't wait to really get familiar with it.

Back