testtest

Anyone using Everglades 230gr FMJ?

bbuhlman

Alpha
New Member here. I have an MC Operator. Just ordered 100 of these FMJ to try and even to pass gauge or plunk test I have to seat these at 1.230 OAL. Anything longer and they will not pass. Anyone loading these Everglades 230gr FMJ? Just interested in what others have done for OAL. Load data I am planning to start with is 4.8gr of W231, 1.230 OAL and Everglades 230gr FMJ.

Thanks,
Bill

Interesting thing about your load. I‘ve purchased lots of .355 bullets from Everglades, but nothing for 45ACP. However, my favorite load for Berry’s HBRN 230gr is 4.8gr HP-38, W231‘s twin cousin. I seat these to 1.220”. Great shooter! Still lots of plated bullets to use up, once they’re gone I’ll probably hit up Everglades for replacements.

I’ve never used RMR, but I’m aware of their reputation. I was already purchasing from Everglades when I heard about RMR. They give a discount to members of another forum, and also offer free shipping, I say the more component sources available, the better. This is one area that I am absolutely pro-choice.

Interesting thing about your load. I‘ve purchased lots of .355 bullets from Everglades, but nothing for 45ACP. However, my favorite load for Berry’s HBRN 230gr is 4.8gr HP-38, W231‘s twin cousin. I seat these to 1.220”. Great shooter! Still lots of plated bullets to use up, once they’re gone I’ll probably hit up Everglades for replacements.

Yep, I've loaded thousands of 124gr 9mm from Everglades so I thought I would give the 230gr .45's a try. Thanks for the info. On the 230gr Everglades the ogive is still very round at the case mouth so I have to seat them at 1.230 which is very deep just to have them pass the plunk test. I will start at 4.8gr of W231 probably. Not sure I will like them but hey at $22 and free shipping...

OK, so I loaded up 50 230gr FMJ from Everglades with three different charges 4.2gr, 4.4gr and 4.6gr of W231 @ a 1.230 OAL. Also did 50 200gr SWC at 4.8, 5.0 and 5.2 W231. All went bang with no pressure indications. I was most impressed with the semi-wad cutters, they were accurate at all the powder charges. I will be loading more of these. The recoil was more snappy than the FMJ's but way less than factory ammo. The 230gr FMJ's, I wasn't too impressed with but with the 4.6gr they are accurate and I would call them "softer" recoil than the semi-wad cutters. All in all a good day at the range. I'll probably try not buy any more of the Everglades FMJ's.

OK, so I loaded up 50 230gr FMJ from Everglades with three different charges 4.2gr, 4.4gr and 4.6gr of W231 @ a 1.230 OAL. Also did 50 200gr SWC at 4.8, 5.0 and 5.2 W231. All went bang with no pressure indications. I was most impressed with the semi-wad cutters, they were accurate at all the powder charges. I will be loading more of these. The recoil was more snappy than the FMJ's but way less than factory ammo. The 230gr FMJ's, I wasn't too impressed with but with the 4.6gr they are accurate and I would call them "softer" recoil than the semi-wad cutters. All in all a good day at the range. I'll probably try not buy any more of the Everglades FMJ's.
Sounds like a good day all right, but what made you decide to give up on the Everglades FMJs? You had an accurate, soft recoiling round at 4.6gr. I use 4.8gr under a plated bullet for my favorite shooter, and SMSgtRod likes his at 5.0gr. Seems like you’ve got a winner with a lower charge.

Sounds like a good day all right, but what made you decide to give up on the Everglades FMJs? You had an accurate, soft recoiling round at 4.6gr. I use 4.8gr under a plated bullet for my favorite shooter, and SMSgtRod likes his at 5.0gr. Seems like you’ve got a winner with a lower charge.

Ok, maybe I am judging prematurely...At first I didn't like how deep I had to seat them to pass the plunk test (the ogive is very round right to the case mouth) but they fed and shot fine. I guess I didn't like how they "look" either but that is irrelevant if they perform. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ok, maybe I am judging prematurely...At first I didn't like how deep I had to seat them to pass the plunk test (the ogive is very round right to the case mouth) but they fed and shot fine. I guess I didn't like how they "look" either but that is irrelevant if they perform. Thanks for pointing that out.
I’ve run into that issue several times with my 45 loads. I look at it and think...that’s wayyyy too deep. But when I measure it it matches Berry’s specifications. I laminated the Berry’s C.O.L. chart for quick reference, as I have a lot of their bullets in multiple calibers. My 40S&Ws were also quite low, which made pulling 40 of them apart (brain fart...exceeded max of Universal).
In the end, shooting performance is what matters.

I have the same Bullet! I cant find any load data anywhere! As a matter of fact. I started a new thread on it asking for published data. If i find anything ill let you know, unlees you already found something…….then please post a link for me?

Back