testtest

APPROPRIATE OPEN CARRY OF A DEFENSIVE FIREARM

We open carry in the small towns around the rural dear lease. All the farmers and ranchers come into the small town carrying their snake gun on their hip. More of a pain in the rump to take it off for gas, feed store or lunch. When in rome ....

I dont carry in the city. I dont want to be the threat they shoot first

When I applied for my CCW the County Sheriff called be and we had a nice chat. One thing he mentioned was what I posted. I mentioned to him I understood, but having a CCW helped making purchases real easy as well as reciprocity out of state. He understood then.

Also, at the time one couldn't own auto-opening knives in MT unless one had a "collectors license" issued by the County Sheriff. He OKed that for me also, but in the couple years the state legislature passed & govenor signed legalizing that category.

If we get the right new Governor this election there's a good chance there will be a push for "permit-less carry".

Last edited:
So, being from Arizona when I started carrying I open carried. A few things I noticed when I did that are, One no one really messed around with you ever. Matter a fact its almost like they'd prefer not to even talk to you or be in your general area unless they had to. Two EVERYONE NOTICES YOU!!!!!!!! I emphasize that because the first place anyone looks when they see you is your firearm, I got sized up A LOT. Now as I did stop several crimes from happening when I open carried I always knew I was the first target had things went south. Now that I carry concealed it's 1000 times more comfortable to carry! I don't feel that I am a target anymore because no one knows I'm a LTC. My body language is a lot more relaxed. I all but refuse to open carry anymore but I refuse to so unless that is my only option.

Where I live (Maryland), they do not distinguish on the permit, open to concealed. It is a "Wear And Carry" permit. Legally...I can carry either way I choose.

Tactically? I'll never open-carry until it becomes VERY widespread (read: old west), and becomes the norm. For all the reasons noted above - you get noticed first. Bad actors make you the first target (take out "the one" who could potentially fight back). Sheeple get freaked out (I'm an hour from DC and an hour from Baltimore).

The only exception is on my private property - I own my home, and I own a rental property. If a tenant calls me to the property for an issue, they know I carry and I show up with it visible, in case someone is there starting trouble. If I ever own a business with a storefront...I'll carry openly there as well. But for my current job (concert sound)...it's always concealed. Extremely close friends (one bass player, his girlfriend, and one ex-girlfriend of mine) know I carry...and that's all. Not only don't I need the "what's THAT??" mentality...I also don't need the "oh, it's okay, go ahead and start :poop: - the sound guy carries, he'll have our backs" mentality. I don't need people bragging for me...

I support the idea that open carry is a constitutionally protected activity. I personally choose not to do it because I feel it is a tactical liability and I do not wish to draw attention to myself. Open carry is legal in Texas, but I have only seen two people openly carrying since it became publicized a few years back.

The odd thing about the people I did see openly carrying in public, was that nobody but me seemed to notice. Both cases involved a compact handgun in an OWB holster. Once when I saw it at a restaurant, I asked the people I was with what they thought about open carry. The other people in my party hadn't even noticed the carrier, despite the fact that he was directly in front of us in line. I'm convinced that most people are too busy looking at their phones to notice a casual open-carrier unless he/she is carrying an AR or doing something else to draw attention to themselves.

Where I live (Maryland), they do not distinguish on the permit, open to concealed. It is a "Wear And Carry" permit. Legally...I can carry either way I choose.

Tactically? I'll never open-carry until it becomes VERY widespread (read: old west), and becomes the norm. For all the reasons noted above - you get noticed first. Bad actors make you the first target (take out "the one" who could potentially fight back). Sheeple get freaked out (I'm an hour from DC and an hour from Baltimore).

The only exception is on my private property - I own my home, and I own a rental property. If a tenant calls me to the property for an issue, they know I carry and I show up with it visible, in case someone is there starting trouble. If I ever own a business with a storefront...I'll carry openly there as well. But for my current job (concert sound)...it's always concealed. Extremely close friends (one bass player, his girlfriend, and one ex-girlfriend of mine) know I carry...and that's all. Not only don't I need the "what's THAT??" mentality...I also don't need the "oh, it's okay, go ahead and start :poop: - the sound guy carries, he'll have our backs" mentality. I don't need people bragging for me...

Do you work at a specific venue or are you a pro level engineer? Until a few months ago I hired myself and my rigs out for local bands at local venues. I've been a bass player in working bands since I was 15 so about 35 years now.

I imagine carrying openly might stop the all too familiar problem of DB guitarist guy's wife coming up and telling you he was too low in the mix. lol

Before my state had CCW I found out you could openly carry on or about your place of business, home and or abide...

Mowing grass just became much more fun, did I mention its not a riding mower😉.
Yep the neighbors fooreaked the heck out.
The law showed up in 3 cars. I put my firearm in the mail box and waited away from it. They ask me if it was loaded..of course. They tried to tell me I was breaking the law and could be arrested if they chose to pursue it. I smiled and asked if they knew the law stated I was able to carry on my person openly or concealed on or about my place if business and/or my home or abode. I asked at what point was I illegal in mowing my yard, which was attached to my home.

Calls were made to the Sargent and away they went. Told me to be careful before they left.
I knew what neighbors were the problem right off. I can't say the thought of strapping on my rifle next week to mow didn't cross my mind....

Back