testtest

AR 10 7.62x51(308) question.

SaltyMonkey

Professional
I’m looking at the Daniel Defense DD5 V3. Their website states that it’s 7.62x51 (308). I have read where there is a slight difference in the cartridges and that you should not feed an exclusive 7.62x51 with .308 due the difference in brass thickness and pressures. Is this accurate and can I safely fire a steady diet of 308 through this rifle?
Educate me.
Thanks

I’m looking at the Daniel Defense DD5 V3. Their website states that it’s 7.62x51 (308). I have read where there is a slight difference in the cartridges and that you should not feed an exclusive 7.62x51 with .308 due the difference in brass thickness and pressures. Is this accurate and can I safely fire a steady diet of 308 through this rifle?
Educate me.
Thanks
It has to do with the pressure level difference between the two rounds. .308 is typically loaded hotter than 7.62x51.

As Hans states, if it's designed to fire .308 then you are good to go with 7.62x51.

When I was researching this topic prior to buying an M1A, I found it written that the 762x51 Nato (aka M-80) uses a military-grade brass case with a thicker wall than the brass case used on retail/commercial .308 rounds. The thicker case on the Nato has the exact same outside dimension, but the thicker wall makes for a ever-so-slightly smaller inner chamber, allowing for slightly less powder than the non-Nato round. Thus, .308 rounds MIGHT have more powder = hotter rounds. I say might because every different make of ammo is made with different powders and different loads.

Another key difference is the Nato round specs call for a primer with a thicker strike face, thus requiring a stronger firing pin hit to ignite. .308 rounds MAY have a thinner primer face, and have a greater chance of a slam fire from floating firing pin rifles like an M1A or M1-.30Cal (et al). I have idea about the firing pin in an AR10 and its proclivity to smack the primer face during chambering like an M1A firing pin. My new M1A leaves a visible dent in an unfired but chambered round's primer. So does my older M1-.30Cal (circa 1950's). I have heard of some .308 rifles not hitting the primer hard enough to ignite it on a Nato round....heard of it but never saw it.

Sorry for rambling, I know most here already know all this stuff. As mentioned, look for the .308 on the barrel. You can fire 762x51 in either rifle, but should avoid firing .308 in one labeled 762x51....

The DD5 V3 is labeled 7.62x51mm/.308 Winchester, per their website...so I think you good with either one

Back