testtest

Are Aerosol CLP Products Safe for Wood and Polymer?

wmg1299

Professional
I've been using Ballistol as my primary gun cleaner for years, mainly because it is safe for all surfaces. I recently saw several CLP review videos, and both the Break Free Mil-Spec and Lucas Oil aerosol products performed significantly better on metal surfaces than Ballistol. I read the labels on the cans for both the Break Free and Lucas CLPs, but didn't see anything stating that the products were safe for wood & polymer, or stating that the products should not be used on wood or polymer surfaces. I was also unable to find this info on either company's website.

A basic Google search yielded mixed results. There seem to be an almost even number of sources claiming that the CLPs are safe for wood & polymer as those claiming that they are not safe. Do any of my fellow forum members know if aerosol CLPs are safe to use on wood & polymer gun surfaces?

i use the Tetra brand of spray cleaner on my polymer and metal guns, from time to time, it says on the label, it is safe for polymer guns.

but it is a cleaner only. i fall into the category of 1 item for cleaning, 1 item for lubing, not a mix of both in the same bottle or spray can.

it's what gunblue490? says as well.

and as i spray in into the magwell's of my 1911's that have wood grips, it does not seem to be an issue. then too, grips are cheap, if i have to replace them.

1668896871294.png

I've been using Ballistol as my primary gun cleaner for years, mainly because it is safe for all surfaces. I recently saw several CLP review videos, and both the Break Free Mil-Spec and Lucas Oil aerosol products performed significantly better on metal surfaces than Ballistol. I read the labels on the cans for both the Break Free and Lucas CLPs, but didn't see anything stating that the products were safe for wood & polymer, or stating that the products should not be used on wood or polymer surfaces. I was also unable to find this info on either company's website.

A basic Google search yielded mixed results. There seem to be an almost even number of sources claiming that the CLPs are safe for wood & polymer as those claiming that they are not safe. Do any of my fellow forum members know if aerosol CLPs are safe to use on wood & polymer gun surfaces?
Aerosol products are ok on wood as long as you don’t hold the nozzle to close to the stock when spraying, the aerosol should be just the delivery method of the cleaning product also don’t leave an aerosol delivered cleaning product sit on the stock for a long period of time.

As for Lucas Oil CLP, they told me it was Polymer safe, and I have used it under all my wood gripped guns, no issues, but I use the one in bottle, don’t care for spray type, a quick call to Lucas Oil will answer your question, I use all there extreme duty oil, CLP and bore cleaner

Toll Free: (800) 342-2512

I have talked to there chemist several times now, very friendly staff.

I apologize for the delay in posting, but I've been busy with the holiday. I e-mailed both companies about their CLP products, and both responded with advice on using their products on wood and polymer..

Safariland Response: "Thank you for reaching out. CLP is safe for use on wood, polymer, and plastic, though it will make grips, stocks, fore ends, etc. very slippery. However, CLP (or any petroleum product) left on wood for prolonged periods of time may cause discoloration."

Lucas Oil Response: "Thank you for your question. Our Extreme Duty CLP item#10916 is safe to use on polymer frames and wood stocks. We always recommend treat a cloth or microfiber rag with the product then wiping the weapon down. Try not to spray the product directly slight over spray is ok just simply wipe off with a cloth. we appreciate your support and using Lucas Oil Products. Have a great day."

Many of you may already know this, but I figured that it may be helpful to somebody when it shows up as a response to a random Google search in the future.

I apologize for the delay in posting, but I've been busy with the holiday. I e-mailed both companies about their CLP products, and both responded with advice on using their products on wood and polymer..

Safariland Response: "Thank you for reaching out. CLP is safe for use on wood, polymer, and plastic, though it will make grips, stocks, fore ends, etc. very slippery. However, CLP (or any petroleum product) left on wood for prolonged periods of time may cause discoloration."

Lucas Oil Response: "Thank you for your question. Our Extreme Duty CLP item#10916 is safe to use on polymer frames and wood stocks. We always recommend treat a cloth or microfiber rag with the product then wiping the weapon down. Try not to spray the product directly slight over spray is ok just simply wipe off with a cloth. we appreciate your support and using Lucas Oil Products. Have a great day."

Many of you may already know this, but I figured that it may be helpful to somebody when it shows up as a response to a random Google search in the future.
Cool, I don’t use the breakfree at all anymore since I found Lucas Oil products, but it’s good to know that breakfree is polymer safe

Back