testtest

Are Pistol Sights Actually Useful For Self-Defense?

I think the answer, like with almost every other self-defense subject, is "It Depends". If time and distance allow, sights will always be a better choice. In situations requiring immediate close-range fire, point-shooting is best.

When I began my MMA career in the early 2000's, every fight magazine featured tons of "grappling vs. striking" articles. Striking styles were virtually useless on the ground, but grappling didn't work well against multiple attackers or when the environment prevented takedowns.

In both shooting and fighting, the professionals figured out real quick that you need to know both styles. For both of these situations (grappling vs. striking & point-shooting vs. sights), I can't tell you which style is "better". What I can tell you with absolute certainty is that neither of them work perfectly in every situation. There's nothing wrong with preferring one style over the other, but you need to be familiar/proficient with both.

This poor guy they used for the photo target probably cant walk down the street without someone having the urge to instincively draw on him 😆
E21466E1-0042-4632-92C6-3E1C95EB0600.jpeg

I think the answer, like with almost every other self-defense subject, is "It Depends". If time and distance allow, sights will always be a better choice. In situations requiring immediate close-range fire, point-shooting is best.

When I began my MMA career in the early 2000's, every fight magazine featured tons of "grappling vs. striking" articles. Striking styles were virtually useless on the ground, but grappling didn't work well against multiple attackers or when the environment prevented takedowns.

In both shooting and fighting, the professionals figured out real quick that you need to know both styles. For both of these situations (grappling vs. striking & point-shooting vs. sights), I can't tell you which style is "better". What I can tell you with absolute certainty is that neither of them work perfectly in every situation. There's nothing wrong with preferring one style over the other, but you need to be familiar/proficient with both.
This 👆👆👆

I agree that it depends. Those who relentlessly train on their draw will bring the gun up on target naturally whether they’re focused on the sights or not. A not insignificant number of SD situations involve never having the time or opportunity to bring the gun up in the first place. This is why practicing your draw, practicing point shooting, practicing with your weak hand and practicing laying down and in other abnormal positions is important.

Back