testtest

Are You Ready for El Presidente?

Nice drill.
i do something similar but never started facing away and hands up

will have to do this. Looks fun and challenging at the same time

This is a useful drill for several reasons but not for novices due to range safety considerations. Lots of holster drills precede this one, and we run it dry fire before we load the gun.

I run the drill in 4 stages. First stage starts facing the targets. Second stage is facing right with the targets at your left shoulder. Third stage facing left with targets at your right shoulder. Fourth stage is facing away from the target. I also teach my students to turn their head toward the target and look at it before moving, which is what you would do in a real scenario where you perceive a threat. The gun does not clear the holster until the shooter is facing the target. You can run these drills with or without a reload. If we incorporate a reload we also add movement to cover for the reload. I train my students to pivot on their gun foot-that keeps the gun side planted which I think brings the gun into alignment a little faster. Misses do not get a score. We record the times at various times during the day with the goal being to beat your own score for measured improvement.

We are programming neuromuscular memory so the response will be fast and accurate under intense stress. You can develop a myriad of variations to keep it interesting and challenging. El Presidente is fun to shoot and generates a lot of interest in trainees.

Dude may live in Florida but anyone can speak that fast is from NY/NJ.
Does not need a timer for his tongue.

Right Green.........not for the novice..........is this practiced solo with no one else on the line?
I think I would incorporate at least a step or two to one side on the turn around motion;
this does simulate going from surrender to combat, correct?

Dude may live in Florida but anyone can speak that fast is from NY/NJ.
Does not need a timer for his tongue.

Right Green.........not for the novice..........is this practiced solo with no one else on the line?
I think I would incorporate at least a step or two to one side on the turn around motion;
this does simulate going from surrender to combat, correct?
I run one shooter at a time, on the timer. Solo it goes quick but allows me to closely watch holster and muzzle discipline. Rapid target acquisition from various angles is a main point of the drill. I emphasize pivoting on the gun foot for stability and consistency. Moving is good but takes time. I have other "shoot and move" drills that emphasize getting off the "x".

Last edited:
I first shot the El Presidents at Gunsite 5 years ago. I've shot it as part of my regular training. I work some adaptations of it to spice it up, but it is basically the same thing. I carry a 1911 so I'm using Jeff's gun.

Last edited:
Back