testtest

ARE YOU THE 1 %

Honorman

Elite
I recently watched Ken Hackathorn on the Wilson Combat YouTube channel. The video was titled “You do not need a red dot”. Having trained with him on prior occasions he is a very good source for training. In the video which is worth watching 22.53 minutes long, He talked about how much do people really train. Being retired now I don’t have access to the thousands of rounds that were available to me during that time. So what I decided to do is stop buying guns and buy more ammo, lots of it to try and recapture some of that lost round count. This is not only with the handgun, but with rifle, shotgun ETC. It is very important to me that my skills remain very high and plus I just enjoy shooting. So how much do you train? In one of HaynesGreener’s post he said that only a small fraction of his students ever take it to the next level. I have never trained civilians and my range master duties were always directed at line personnel and Special Operations members. Having gone to my local ranges I can see what he is talking about. Most of the CCW crowd does not train at high levels and it shows. What’s really sad and this does happen is that even if you do everything right, you can still lose the gunfight. Murphy’s Law shows no favoritism to anyone. The odds are still in your favor with continuous quality training though. So what say you?. Where do you stack up in your training and do you feel you meet the 1 % mark. I’m not on the job anymore but I act as though I’am. I want to keep that level as high as possible. It was that training that allows me to be able to write this post. There could of been a number of other OUTCOMES. I may never be in another shooting, but I’m not willing to take that chance especially now. TRIAN,BE SMART, THINK TATICS

A090CE35-EB75-4A82-8171-739462D914D8.gif

Anybody else just hear this?

So, now I’ll be a bit more serious, having gotten past the chest-thumping pretentiousness.

I have always enjoyed shooting handguns at ranges that handguns aren’t supposed to be capable at; I have no problems getting 5/5 on 4” steel with a 2” J-frame at 25 yards, for example; 100 yard shots with a 4” revolver or a 1911? It’s a fun game.

That being said…

I’ve been playing with a DeltaPoint on a VP9 for the past year or so. The other day, I went 8/10 on a 50yd 6” yard gong…cold. I dropped my third and 8th shot.

Running a Wilson X9, with tritium irons..I could beat it, but not with the first mag.

Anyone claiming a MRDS doesn’t give you an edge…is not being honest.

Pretty sure my X9 is going back to the mothership for an optics cut.

Same here but more pre-Covid & the ammo situation the last few years.
Side note:
Pre covid, I shot prob 1700-2000 rounds a month a lot of time. $229 per 1000 rounds with member discount. Budgeted $500 mo to ammo. That’s not happening anymore.
$500 only now is beginning to come back and covers prob 60-70% of what it did before

Edit : $229 for high quality case of 9mm.
Usually $8 box for the basic range fodder

Last edited:
I recently watched Ken Hackathorn on the Wilson Combat YouTube channel. The video was titled “You do not need a red dot”. Having trained with him on prior occasions he is a very good source for training. In the video which is worth watching 22.53 minutes long, He talked about how much do people really train. Being retired now I don’t have access to the thousands of rounds that were available to me during that time. So what I decided to do is stop buying guns and buy more ammo, lots of it to try and recapture some of that lost round count. This is not only with the handgun, but with rifle, shotgun ETC. It is very important to me that my skills remain very high and plus I just enjoy shooting. So how much do you train? In one of HaynesGreener’s post he said that only a small fraction of his students ever take it to the next level. I have never trained civilians and my range master duties were always directed at line personnel and Special Operations members. Having gone to my local ranges I can see what he is talking about. Most of the CCW crowd does not train at high levels and it shows. What’s really sad and this does happen is that even if you do everything right, you can still lose the gunfight. Murphy’s Law shows no favoritism to anyone. The odds are still in your favor with continuous quality training though. So what say you?. Where do you stack up in your training and do you feel you meet the 1 % mark. I’m not on the job anymore but I act as though I’am. I want to keep that level as high as possible. It was that training that allows me to be able to write this post. There could of been a number of other OUTCOMES. I may never be in another shooting, but I’m not willing to take that chance especially now. TRIAN,BE SMART, THINK TATICS
In years past I visited the range 2-4 times a week and shot a lot. One of my close friends was a Navy Seal. When we went to our local indoor range I never thought about my target not being all the way to 25 yards. Now days when I go to the range I seem to be the only one there that runs their target out past spitting distance. So I can only imagine how you must feel.

i go target shooting at least once per week, sometimes up to 3 times.

now that i am reloading, that "should mean", i'll be shooting more, but nope...

during the ammo shortages and high prices, i only took 1 box each time.

i am still doing that, even with hundreds of reloads waiting in the cabinets.

one more thing about "extra training", or advanced/tactical training, this video from a Texas law firm....

So, my training CV.

About 10-20 years ago, I spent a lot of money on classes…and expended a LOT of ammo.

What I found was, for the most part, high round count classes don’t do much besides burn ammo. Sure you can get some muscle memory work, but you can get that on your own.

I also found that any class with a low teacher:student ratio isn’t worth the time.

And while I don’t claim to know all there is to know…I’ve yet to come across a class for several years that can teach me something new; I just keep training with what I learned.

One thing, though—and this is important:

Anyone who really brags up their CV—was part of this or that team/unit/regiment/whatever? Particularly brags it up in various online forums, and need to bring it up every single time they post?

Almost certainly wasn’t.

The guys that have been there and done that don’t need to tell you about it.

Food for thought.

So, my training CV.

About 10-20 years ago, I spent a lot of money on classes…and expended a LOT of ammo.

What I found was, for the most part, high round count classes don’t do much besides burn ammo. Sure you can get some muscle memory work, but you can get that on your own.

I also found that any class with a low teacher:student ratio isn’t worth the time.

And while I don’t claim to know all there is to know…I’ve yet to come across a class for several years that can teach me something new; I just keep training with what I learned.

Anyone who really brags up their CV—was part of this or that team/unit/regiment/whatever? Particularly brags it up in various online forums, and need to bring it up every single time they post?

Almost certainly wasn’t.

Food for thought.
question if you don't mind..??

CV....??

meaning...???

This was brought up on another thread, and there were several reply's to the affect, you can't argue with one of the best experts out there......

There are lots of examples of relying just on the opinion of experts ending being a dead wrong decision....
One Test is worth a 1000 Expert Opinions

So no disrespect to the experts, or denial of their vast experience, knowledge and authority on the subject, but my own experience and the multiple testaments from other less than expert shooters, contradict what the expert say about red dots being only for the top tier experts and/or require thousands of rounds of training in expert training programs to be effective at all.....

Experts are wrong from time to time, that doesn't make them less of an expert, it just makes them wrong on this one thing...

Sorry, the Emperor looks naked to me, or today I guess we could say, that peaceful protest looks a violent riot and arson to me....

I never seen any discussion about eye sight by the experts either, despite most of them being the age to suffer the same eyesight problem I do.... ..I still have perfect vision but degraded ability to focus fine detail very close... ...i.e. I need reading glasses, just to read, and similarly, to focus properly on my front sight, any thing else read glasses interfere with my otherwise perfect vision... ...which means reading glasses interfer with the sight picture of the target behind the front sight post for me.... ...this isn't a rare conditions, its true of most people with perfect vision increasing past mid-forties.....

Just a Red Dot being more adapted to this vision problem, compared to iron sights, produced an immediate improvement in my shooting with zero training on the red dot..... ....well other than reading about how they work and operate, there are cases of people using a red dot totally wrong at first because they don't understand the first thing about them...

So, my training CV.

Almost certainly wasn’t.

Food for thought.
Word.

So, my training CV.

Almost certainly wasn’t.

Food for thought.
Our instructor - class, prob avg 150 rounds
Lots of walk thru/ fundamentals/ technique.
Former Marine instructor.
Lots of how/why learning to shoot n move, concealment, etc.
then shooting commences. Pause. Debrief. Do it again .

Beats static in a bay.

I go through heinous amounts of ammo. I doubt I’m anywhere near the 1% though. I guess there’s a lot of random pallets and other junk that are pretty scared of me though. 😁
Oh, I’m no where near 1%, but I enjoy the shooting sports and just want to always be better. My goal isnt to be 1%, but be the best I can be for my skill set.
Which isnt kicking in doors, etc …
Its recreation, self defense and shooting hogs on the run

Back