testtest

Bald Eagles are being poisoned.

Recusant

Hellcat
Scientific evidence has pointed to lead ammunition as the leading cause of lead poisoning in scavenging birds like eagles and vultures in the United States. The increasing deaths of the eagles may force the use of alternative metals instead of lead for hunting and the use of lead-free fishing tackle.

This has been know for along time & one of the reasons that non-toxic shotgun shells were developed many years ago.
That is true. Lead ammunition is banned for the hunting of waterfowl in the U.S. but still permitted when hunting other game. Shotguns are used the most for deer hunting in the eastern part of Virginia. Turkeys and other small game animals are also hunted with shotguns using lead shot throughout the state. This seems to be a growing problem.

Scientific evidence has pointed to lead ammunition as the leading cause of lead poisoning in scavenging birds like eagles and vultures in the United States. The increasing deaths of the eagles may force the use of alternative metals instead of lead for hunting and the use of lead-free fishing tackle.

As @Talyn mentioned a known issue and although it’s declining it’s still a problem, one of the biggest issues is lead weights for fishing and although many states are starting to ban the use it’s been done for so long it will take decades for lead to be removed to safe levels in the environment.

That is true. Lead ammunition is banned for the hunting of waterfowl in the U.S. but still permitted when hunting other game. Shotguns are used the most for deer hunting in the eastern part of Virginia. Turkeys and other small game animals are also hunted with shotguns using lead shot throughout the state. This seems to be a growing problem.
Some of the issues are when turkeys and deer are shot but don’t die right away and hunters fail to find the animals or don’t bother looking, the animal will then die and then a scavenger will find it and eat it.

Some of the issues are when turkeys and deer are shot but don’t die right away and hunters fail to find the animals or don’t bother looking, the animal will then die and then a scavenger will find it and eat it.
While this was a case of roadkill, it would be the same if the deer had died as a result of being shot.

IMG_0191.JPG

Last edited:
… I concur with the use of non toxic shotgun shells, etc.

But funny thing - our Fish & Game dept ( or Wlldlife dept or whatever) says hunting/fishing license sales are steadily going DOWN. In fact, hunting licenses have plummeted in the last 30 yrs.
I realize other states may be different, but I also wonder if there’s a downward graph of eagle deaths due to hunting/fishing residue that just hasn’t become evident (caught up) yet? Or is soon to happen?
Maybe a dumb idea…but Just a thought…

… I concur with the use of non toxic shotgun shells, etc.

But funny thing - our Fish & Game dept ( or Wlldlife dept or whatever) says hunting/fishing license sales are steadily going DOWN. In fact, hunting licenses have plummeted in the last 30 yrs.
I realize other states may be different, but I also wonder if there’s a downward graph of eagle deaths due to hunting/fishing residue that just hasn’t become evident (caught up) yet? Or is soon to happen?
Maybe a dumb idea…but Just a thought…
If I understand your question, in regards to fishing mainly catch and release often the lead weight is swallowed and if an Eagle happens to catch that fish? Lead poisoning.

I switched to non-toxic (copper) bullets for deer hunting long ago.

I usually run bismuth for upland hunting on public land.

Otherwise, Barnes X in handguns, TSX in rifles.

About the only thing I still use lead for hunting in is .22’s.

Fishing sinkers that are lost settle to the bottom & in shallow waters are ingested by waterfowl that are in-turn are preyed upon by bald eagles who then ingest the lead sinkers/split shot.

Last edited:
I’m not a resident but from what I’ve read they banned lead several years ago for hunting. A friend of mine bought a 28 gauge shotgun and couldn’t use it for doves because little or no steel shot was available

Back