testtest

Barnes VOR-TX Handgun Ammo

tapehoser

Elite
Was at Sportsman's a couple weeks ago and they had moved all the self-defense ammo behind the counter, but visible. All the bulk stuff was out front. Anyhoo...I digress...

The only ammo I recognized was Barnes, so I asked for a box and lo and behold it was VOR-TX handgun ammo! AND, it was the cheapest ammo on the shelf at $20 for a box of 20 rounds of 9mm 115 grain with the TAC-XP bullets. Haven't shot it yet, but anyone ever shot this stuff from your handgun? Results?

Years back I tried reloading a bunch of Barnes for my 45-70 Gov't cartridges, but none of them would shoot straight. Tried 3 different weights with a bunch of different powders, but nothing would shoot like I wanted it. I ended up sticking with a 300 grain Nosler Partition, which I think fell out of production since then.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I'm betting the "self-defense" ammo was moved behind the counter as an anti-theft precaution.
Generally, they are packaged in 20 round boxes and are just the right size to drop into a pocket or purse.
Just a guess...

I have had excellent success with Sierra projectiles over the years. This 300 grain bullet was specifically designed for the 45-70.

Was at Sportsman's a couple weeks ago and they had moved all the self-defense ammo behind the counter, but visible. All the bulk stuff was out front. Anyhoo...I digress...

The only ammo I recognized was Barnes, so I asked for a box and lo and behold it was VOR-TX handgun ammo! AND, it was the cheapest ammo on the shelf at $20 for a box of 20 rounds of 9mm 115 grain with the TAC-XP bullets. Haven't shot it yet, but anyone ever shot this stuff from your handgun? Results?

Years back I tried reloading a bunch of Barnes for my 45-70 Gov't cartridges, but none of them would shoot straight. Tried 3 different weights with a bunch of different powders, but nothing would shoot like I wanted it. I ended up sticking with a 300 grain Nosler Partition, which I think fell out of production since then.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
I don't have any experience with their VOR-TX handgun ammo yet but I have a few boxes of .45 ACP. Their TSXs bullets are amazing in my 30.06. I tried them in my 45-70 and had the same result as you; nothing close to where I wanted them to go.

I've carried them in my XD-m 3.8 45acp. It's the only thing I use anymore. The XD-m loves them, they shoot exactly where I want them to go. A paper box full of wet(soaked) phone books revealed they in fact do expand nicely. The petals do not break off and the wound channel is shredded.
I see buffalo bore uses them in their 10mm load, I've ordered some from them for my XD-m 10mm

I've carried them in my XD-m 3.8 45acp. It's the only thing I use anymore. The XD-m loves them, they shoot exactly where I want them to go. A paper box full of wet(soaked) phone books revealed they in fact do expand nicely. The petals do not break off and the wound channel is shredded.
I see buffalo bore uses them in their 10mm load, I've ordered some from them for my XD-m 10mm
I did not realize Buffalo Bore used the Barnes bullets for their 10mm loads! That makes me want to invest a little more in Barnes now. I'll post a report on how they shoot shortly.

This must not be California because in California all the ammo is locked up you need help to get to it but I was in Nevada not long ago ammo was stock just like can food grab what you what

This must not be California because in California all the ammo is locked up you need help to get to it but I was in Nevada not long ago ammo was stock just like can food grab what you what
Yeah, definitely not Commiefornia. And every other store that sells ammo in my location leaves the ammo on the shelves for everyone to access. But since those self defense rounds/boxes are smaller, I am sure they are more prone to thievery. I hate thieves. They make me angry.

I have the 250tsx and 300orig, but haven't loaded any yet. With 2 marlins of 18.5" and 26" barrels I'll try some when I get a chance too load some for testing.

I do have other caliber bullets in Barnes, but haven't tried any of them yet either. I have them in 6mn 84tsx, 6mm 112mb, 6.5 145mb, 6.8 85tacx 95tactx 110tacx, but no handgun.

Back