testtest

Barrel help

This is what I would consider a catastrophic failure... This is the barrel of my daughters Remington 11-87. She was at trap practice tonight when the gas block (sorry I do not know the technical name) broke off.

I looked at a couple of sites but did not find much info on if I can get this welded or brazed back on. So I am asking you guys if you have seen this before and have any ideas for a course of action.

I am currently ordering a used barrel but they are hard to find and pricey but there are not many options since her season has started and competition starts soon.
IMG_2904.jpg
IMG_2903.jpg

This is what I would consider a catastrophic failure... This is the barrel of my daughters Remington 11-87. She was at trap practice tonight when the gas block (sorry I do not know the technical name) broke off.

I looked at a couple of sites but did not find much info on if I can get this welded or brazed back on. So I am asking you guys if you have seen this before and have any ideas for a course of action.

I am currently ordering a used barrel but they are hard to find and pricey but there are not many options since her season has started and competition starts soon.View attachment 16452View attachment 16451
You're doing good on description. Pic's aren't my favorite way to ID, but looks to be like it was "silver soldered" together. Is more common method of attachment with firearms. If no luck at local gunsmith, possibly try a good fabricating, welding shop, plumber or HVAC guy/shop too? Many are gun savvy as well and would like doing something a bit different and do from time to time. On the bright side if current barrel get's fixed and get have another barrel, you'll have a spare? Good luck and best to you and daughter.

P.S. May not be as terrible as you may think.

Get that to a Gunsmith. Dot, period, end of story. Not “some guy who can weld”, no matter what their profession is, no matter how good they are.

The gas block needs to be aligned so the ports are properly aligned for function, as well as the barrel aligned with the block so it assembled correctly, and still points correctly. A gunsmith will know how to do this.

Good news is that this isn’t that terribly uncommon, and shouldn’t be that expensive of a repair; likely under $100.

Get that to a Gunsmith. Dot, period, end of story. Not “some guy who can weld”, no matter what their profession is, no matter how good they are.

The gas block needs to be aligned so the ports are properly aligned for function, as well as the barrel aligned with the block so it assembled correctly, and still points correctly. A gunsmith will know how to do this.

Good news is that this isn’t that terribly uncommon, and shouldn’t be that expensive of a repair; likely under $100.
Yes. Gunsmiths are best choice. I personally know some plumbers and HVAC people who have their own firearm and gunsmith shops. Is why thought of and mentioned. When in a bind, many things come to mind?

Back