testtest

Barring people under 21 from buying handguns is unconstitutional.

Recusant

Hellcat
Hmm…
I’ll have to look for it but we discussed something closely related on another thread. Maybe it was about concealed carry age ?

I personally wouldn’t mind if the age for ‘full citizenship’ went back to 21 yrs old… but that just my lil ol’ opinion. Ain’t crazy about 18 yr olds buying handguns; our way of growing up isn’t the same anymore.

if i recall, one has to be 26 years old to rent a car.

why should anyone under 21 be able to buy a gun?

many states, the "age of majority" is indeed 21.

why should states that have that "law", allow anyone under 21 to buy a gun?

leave it at 21 to buy a gun or ammo.

then, let's arm 10 year old's?

i mean after all in schools or playgrounds, or anyplace else, (Chicago maybe??) they are just as in danger as an 18 year old.

If you can vote or die for your country you should not be stripped of your natural right to self defense because you’re too young.
don't forget, we have a voluntary military, not a draft. young people freely join. and if they do so, and should they get killed, being sad for the families, they knew what they were getting into. they were not forced to go into the military under a draft, like in past wars/conflicts.

Hmm…
I’ll have to look for it but we discussed something closely related on another thread. Maybe it was about concealed carry age ?

I personally wouldn’t mind if the age for ‘full citizenship’ went back to 21 yrs old… but that just my lil ol’ opinion. Ain’t crazy about 18 yr olds buying handguns; our way of growing up isn’t the same anymore.
Yes,
We hashed this out at length on your thread earlier. 👍

Hmm…

Full citizenship? I believe 21 is a good age for a handgun purchase however citizenship starts at birth.

We need to come to a consensus about the age in which one becomes an adult - legally. You can join the military, vote, go to big boy prison and sign contracts at the age of 18, but you can’t drink or purchase a firearm until you’re 21. So, what is the age at which one legally becomes an adult? Is is 18 or is it 21? It can’t - or shouldn’t - be both. And my opinion is that once you are an adult - legally - you should be afforded all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult. Including purchasing a firearm.

We need to come to a consensus about the age in which one becomes an adult - legally. You can join the military, vote, go to big boy prison and sign contracts at the age of 18, but you can’t drink or purchase a firearm until you’re 21. So, what is the age at which one legally becomes an adult? Is is 18 or is it 21? It can’t - or shouldn’t - be both. And my opinion is that once you are an adult - legally - you should be afforded all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult. Including purchasing a firearm.
That's a complicated one. As I recall, you don't get the adult rate on car insurance until 25 or something (not a law, of course), you can't run for US Congress until 25, can't run for U.S. Senate until 30, can't run for President until 35, etc. There are all sorts of seemingly arbitrary age limits. It'd be really hard to say a person should have all those rights at 18, or should have none of them until they're 35.

That's a complicated one. As I recall, you don't get the adult rate on car insurance until 25 or something (not a law, of course), you can't run for US Congress until 25, can't run for U.S. Senate until 30, can't run for President until 35, etc. There are all sorts of seemingly arbitrary age limits. It'd be really hard to say a person should have all those rights at 18, or should have none of them until they're 35.
We need to come to a consensus about the age in which one becomes an adult - legally. You can join the military, vote, go to big boy prison and sign contracts at the age of 18, but you can’t drink or purchase a firearm until you’re 21. So, what is the age at which one legally becomes an adult? Is is 18 or is it 21? It can’t - or shouldn’t - be both. And my opinion is that once you are an adult - legally - you should be afforded all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult. Including purchasing a firearm.…

…. From what I see these days, make it about age 47…. LOL 😆!!!

don't forget, we have a voluntary military, not a draft. young people freely join. and if they do so, and should they get killed, being sad for the families, they knew what they were getting into. they were not forced to go into the military under a draft, like in past wars/conflicts.
I’d add as an aside: firearms, weapons systems, etc are strictly controlled in the military. At least as compared to American lifestyle in general. You might sign out ‘your’ rifle for training or deployment but it belongs to Uncle Sam and is treated as such.
Much different from a private purchase.

You get an “adult” rate on car insurance at any time you start driving. It’s just that your rates will drop when you turn 25. I see that as completely different. Kind of the same thing as when you reach a certain age, your health and life insurance rates start going back up

The ages to run for President or Congress are set in the Constitution.

I still say that there are certain rights and responsibilities that come with being considered a legal adult. I believe once you reach that age, you should have those rights and responsibilities. If you are still considered a “minor” at 18 because you can’t drink or purchase a firearm, why should you be considered an adult and be sued or sent to prison?

If people don’t think someone should be an adult until they are 21, then make that the rule. Below 21, you are a minor. You don’t go to prison, you can’t sign a contract, you can’t drink, you can’t buy a firearm. But if the age in which you become an adult is 18, then you get the benefits and downfalls of being an adult at that age.

I don’t see how someone can be an adult when they turn 18, but then be denied the RIGHT to keep and bear arms until they are 21. Regardless of whether one thinks an 18 year old is responsible enough to own a gun at 18, if they are legally an adult at that age, you shouldn’t be able to deny them that RIGHT. Remember, the RIGHT to keep and bear arms is a right, not a privilege.

The problem is that running for congress and cheaper insurance rates aren't constitutionally guaranteed natural rights.

Except the government can, has and likely will again at some point, institute a draft at their leisure. At any rate I'm not sure what being forced into service has to do with the topic.

Back