testtest

Based on past production, how long does it take for new model to widely hit the market?

youngolddude

Professional
Just curious as to the time it takes a new model to be readily found in stores. 4 months? 6 months? A year? I'm not sure how Springfield currently manufactures their products. Do they do continual runs of each model? Do they run x number, then change over to another? Inquiring minds would like to know. I would think if they are prolific in offerings, each model and variant competes with each other. Popularity would presumably dictate what they would concentrate on.

Well, I think raw supplies like steel/aluminum are a limiting factors right now.

In normal times, SA teases new products during the fall/winter season. Then in Jan people can put their hands on it at the Shot Show. Then 2-6 months later you get shipping to distributors then dealers.

But the raw supplies are limiting everything. Think about it gun manufacturers could be selling like gang busters right now.

Last edited:
The XD/XDm/XDs/Hellcat. etc line(s) are manufactured overseas by HS Produkt in Croatia so production and availability is dependent on what's happening there, and shipment times across the "pond".

The rest of SA products are USA made and dependent on SA's production capabilities/issues, and whatever's happening with subcontractors that provide parts to SA, hat SA doesn't produce in-house.

It seems so far that SA announces a new model followed closely by the product hitting the vendors, but overall numbers are unknown on how SA is keeping up with demand.

Last edited:
Interestingly, when Smith & Wesson announced their Shield Plus new models, I was able to buy one at my LGS within a week of their announcement (Performance Center model to boot). Their new 10mm pistols, no such luck (but I'm on the order list).
My LGS is one of Springfield's top 100 Gun Stores, and Springfield came in and installed their promotion running ads on a TV that runs while the store is opened. I was able to get the promotional free 15 round Hellcat mag when I purchased a new Hellcat RDP w/optic, after uploading my receipt showing I bought it at one of the top 100 Gun Store they offered the promotions through. However, my LGS is unable to get any of the new announced SA models (I'm on order for the 10mm XDm 3.8 Elite compact and the SA-35), even though they have noticed other non top 100 Mom & Pop stores having them. I've urged them to speak with their dedicated SA rep on what the story is and how they can get these new offerings shipped to their distributors.

Interestingly, when Smith & Wesson announced their Shield Plus new models, I was able to buy one at my LGS within a week of their announcement (Performance Center model to boot). Their new 10mm pistols, no such luck (but I'm on the order list).
My LGS is one of Springfield's top 100 Gun Stores, and Springfield came in and installed their promotion running ads on a TV that runs while the store is opened. I was able to get the promotional free 15 round Hellcat mag when I purchased a new Hellcat RDP w/optic, after uploading my receipt showing I bought it at one of the top 100 Gun Store they offered the promotions through. However, my LGS is unable to get any of the new announced SA models (I'm on order for the 10mm XDm 3.8 Elite compact and the SA-35), even though they have noticed other non top 100 Mom & Pop stores having them. I've urged them to speak with their dedicated SA rep on what the story is and how they can get these new offerings shipped to their distributors.
I got an email from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore about the m&p 10mm and ordered it that day! Still waiting! Maybe a Christmas present to me from me🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 !!!!!!

Well, I think raw supplies like steel/aluminum are a limiting factors right now.

In normal times, SA teases new products during the fall/winter season. Then in Jan people can put their hands on it at the Shot Show. Then 2-6 months later you get shipping to distributors then dealers.

But the raw supplies are limiting everything. Think about it gun manufacturers could be selling like gang busters right now.
I’m waiting to buy a SA-35 Hi Power. Are you implying it will be months before we see them available other than on price gouge sites?

I have never really payed close attention because it has always been my policy to let new items, especially firearm and motor vehicles be on the market for a year or two before buying. I prefer them bug free, and figure there are a lot of guinea pigs ahead of me to shake out any issues.

I have never really payed close attention because it has always been my policy to let new items, especially firearm and motor vehicles be on the market for a year or two before buying. I prefer them bug free, and figure there are a lot of guinea pigs ahead of me to shake out any issues.

Yup, taking time's pretty much the best route most times with either. About same with electronics.

I agree. I've waited, & will likely again, for awhile for things to reach my comfort level.

Back