testtest

Battle Of Mogadishu

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The bloodiest single firefight involving U.S. troops since the Vietnam War is the Battle of Mogadishu. It began on October 3, 1993, and raged into the next day. Outnumbered, outgunned, and with reinforcing troops unable to reach them, 18 Armed Forces members died in this chaotic urban combat. The casualties also included another 73 wounded.

Battle Of Mogadishu

1666627330088.png

IMO the movie captured the chaos that our troops went through on that day.

I've had the privilege of meeting men that fought in this battle and others that fought in the Battle of la Drang (We Were Soldiers book/movie). There were a lot of commonalities in their stories even though the battlegrounds were utterly different. The biggest common thread seemed to be "plans go out the window when the bullets start flying."

When someone asked me who was the most important or famous person I ever met, I answered Mike Durant, the pilot shot down and taken captive during the battle. I had the privilage of meeting him briefly and shaking his hand after he was a keynote speaker in a conference I attended about 10 years ago in New Orleans. His speech gave very good insight into what took place that day, and why the support was not there for our troops. An excellent speech and summary of the battle.

Back