testtest

Beef.. Its not for dinner

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Don't shoot the cow !!!

Gotta be careful… hogs like to hang with the bovine .

Granted, all this happens at 30 mph dead run …
A31D5AD6-702E-4560-893E-1614F11D1AE2.jpeg

Yea sir… but the per pound price would not be very condusive per the pissed off farmer 😬
I had to laugh at this statement because way back from 1982 - 2015 I leased a nearly 4000 acre hunting lease on a large cattle and sod company ranch. Don't remember exactly when it came about, but one of the first (most important) rules was that any hunter who shot a beef (intentional or not) was fined $2,xxx regardless of how big, what it weighed, bull, steer, heifer or cow ....... just didn't matter. Cost was the same. And they kept the beef!

In years before the rule was put in place it was pretty common for a couple accidents to happen during hunting season, never on my lease, knock on wood, but across the entire ranch. The beef could be bought from the ranch for their net cost..... and often they would process it for the shooter. Well, it wasn't uncommon to take 500+ lbs of fresh beef home for about 1/3 what it cost at the local market.

As beef prices kept increasing, it became ever more hard to convince the ranch that a dead beef was an accident ..... so, they implemented the hard and fast rule of 'If you shoot it, your cost is $2,xxx, regardless', and we'll keep the beef. The accidents dropped to zero in pretty short order. And the word spread PDQ !!!

I had to laugh at this statement because way back from 1982 - 2015 I leased a nearly 4000 acre hunting lease on a large cattle and sod company ranch. Don't remember exactly when it came about, but one of the first (most important) rules was that any hunter who shot a beef (intentional or not) was fined $2,xxx regardless of how big, what it weighed, bull, steer, heifer or cow ....... just didn't matter. Cost was the same. And they kept the beef!

In years before the rule was put in place it was pretty common for a couple accidents to happen during hunting season, never on my lease, knock on wood, but across the entire ranch. The beef could be bought from the ranch for their net cost..... and often they would process it for the shooter. Well, it wasn't uncommon to take 500+ lbs of fresh beef home for about 1/3 what it cost at the local market.

As beef prices kept increasing, it became ever more hard to convince the ranch that a dead beef was an accident ..... so, they implemented the hard and fast rule of 'If you shoot it, your cost is $2,xxx, regardless', and we'll keep the beef. The accidents dropped to zero in pretty short order. And the word spread PDQ !!!
Its custom now in my area (several counties) for $5000+ in restitution and breeding fees for a shot animal. Kicked off the lease. Charges pressed and game warden involved so as to not have “cheap beef”.

Its custom now in my area (several counties) for $5000+ in restitution and breeding fees for a shot animal. Kicked off the lease. Charges pressed and game warden involved so as to not have “cheap beef”.
Well I gave up the lease back in 2015 IIRC, and I'm thinking it was still $2,xxx at the time. I didn't mention the 'being kicked off the lease', but oh yeh, that generally applied too. They did take a few things into account and rarely, very rarely would accept the accidental shooting thing and not kick the shooter off the lease ...... but I mean VERY rarely !!! But in all situations, the cost stayed the same. No consideration given there !!!

There has to be a stupid penalty for not recognizing a cow in the woods.
I'm glad you mentioned this because to me the only you could end up shooting cow is either hunting at night with a spotlight where you can only see eyes or shooting at a deer standing in the middle of a cow herd. The spotlighting is illegal in Va and shooting over a field of cows where it is possible you could hit one is just not right.

I'm glad you mentioned this because to me the only you could end up shooting cow is either hunting at night with a spotlight where you can only see eyes or shooting at a deer standing in the middle of a cow herd. The spotlighting is illegal in Va and shooting over a field of cows where it is possible you could hit one is just not right.
Thermals. Texas allows you to hunt at night for hogs. Can spotlight them, but thermal scopes are easier.

More times than not, hogs are in with the cattle.
Discipline and trigger control.
Rule #1 applies. Know your target and what is beyond it. Or sometimes running in front of it 😉

Thermals. Texas allows you to hunt at night for hogs. Can spotlight them, but thermal scopes are easier.

More times than not, hogs are in with the cattle.
Discipline and trigger control.
Rule #1 applies. Know your target and what is beyond it. Or sometimes running in front of it 😉
Va has a dawn to dust rule for game animals and since cycotes and wild hogs aren't considered "game" I believe you can shoot them at night. There may be some wild hogs in the southern part of the state, but I haven't seen much about it. Add to run #1: patience. I know you Texas boys know the difference between steers and hogs, but not knowing what's behind them and rushing a shot is where mistakes happen. I imagine in a crowded field follow-up shots would be problematic. However, I suspect you have all of the bases covered!

There has to be a stupid penalty for not recognizing a cow in the woods.
That reminds me of my first whitetail hunt on Fort Riley, KS. They had a mount of a cow elk above the sign-in desk where each hunter had to state their area of preference. I asked what that was all about, and one of the employees stated that the cow elk [with orange identification tag clearly displayed in its ear] was shot by a newcomer to the area that had never seen an elk before. When the lady brought the elk into the check station she had no idea that is was not a whitetail. The wildlife office had it mounted with a plaque that read "This is not a whitetail!"

Some good points made above, and there is no excuse for stupidity in a shooting situation ...... however there is ignorance, carelessness, and even a phenomenon called 'Early Blur' in some hunting situations that often/can cause the wrong animal to be shot, or sometimes even another hunter. I can site several cases where even an experienced hunter can offend to this degree. Sad but true, the more experienced one is does not necessarily mean he will be less likely than an inexperienced hunter to have a bad shooting incident.

And I'd be willing to bet that if truth were known, at least some of us here on this very forum have done one of the very worst things that can lead to bad shooting. I'm in a pinch for time and got to run, but I do love cussing/discussing the reasons behind some of these accidents. I'll be back later this PM.

Read about 'Early Blur' here:

I'd really like to go on one of those nighttime feral hog hunts. Looks like it would be fun and I'd like to try out my Colt M4 on a hog.
5.56 is tough to drop a hog on the run. .300BO or higher caliber is preferred in an AR platform.

Had a small hog take 4 rounds of 5.56. Sometimes more.
Small pass through and they kept running to die some distance away never to be seen

Back as a youth one of the worst places for hunting "accidents" in NY State was the Southern Tier unit which is the Southwestern NYS/PA border area. The farmers would paint COW on the side of their cattle with bright florescent paint and they would still get shot. Had a Game Warden friend tell me that he stopped a vehicle with a couple of hunters out of NY City coming out of the private road that he lived on that was posted against hunting. Not only were they trespassing but they also took a "deer" from private lands posted against hunting. When he looked in the bed of the pickup he found his pet goat, gutted and tagged.

5.56 is tough to drop a hog on the run. .300BO or higher caliber is preferred in an AR platform.

Had a small hog take 4 rounds of 5.56. Sometimes more.
Small pass through and they kept running to die some distance away never to be seen
Wow. Good to know. I've been watching a lot of feral hog hunt YouTube videos. I never realized how bad of a menace they are in Texas and other states. Guess I never thought much about them. I saw one guy using 55 grain Hornady V-MAX 5.56. It seemed to be dropping them ok, but I can see where the 5.56 might be a bit light for hog hunting. Do you think the higher grain, heavier rounds might work better?

Wow. Good to know. I've been watching a lot of feral hog hunt YouTube videos. I never realized how bad of a menace they are in Texas and other states. Guess I never thought much about them. I saw one guy using 55 grain Hornady V-MAX 5.56. It seemed to be dropping them ok, but I can see where the 5.56 might be a bit light for hog hunting. Do you think the higher grain, heavier rounds might work better?
I’ve hit hogs with every grain of 5.56 & .223 from 55 to 77.
First shot earhole. Dead.
Follow on shots with hogs at 30mph to get the hell out of dodge. Earhole is hard to do.
Grendel
Creedmore
.300 BO
Work way better.
Even the .300 BO and .308 will get runner if not a perfect shot. Had one 2 weeks ago take 4 .300 BO and 2 .308 to drop him. Almost 300Lbs

Back