testtest

Being ready day or night

Bman940

Alpha
Hunting coyotes and pigs are two of my favorite things to do with a rifle. A few years ago I put this pair together to make it easy on me, no matter what I'm after. Heck, even deer hunting I just have to remember a 5-round mag and all is good. This set-up is a CMMG lower and 2 CMMG uppers. 1 topped with an ATN thermal and the other with a Riton Optic 5 Primal 2-12X44 MOA reticle. The daylight optic is a proven performer, having taken down several fawn eaters out past 400 yards and multiple swine from 25 to 300 yards away. So easy to swap out uppers and be ready for whatever critters show up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 9.37.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 9.37.10 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 81
ATN is 6.5CM and the Riton Optics is a .308 Win. I want to get another .308 upper just to reduce any chances of me doing something dumb. Love doe hunting with the .308 win and a 5 round mag.
One can also shoot a buck as well with a .308 Win. round! This gun is only for day light; other than maybe Bigfoot there's really nothing much in the woods where I hunt that would be legal to shoot at night. And if there is something there that the .308 can't take care of then I've got a mcuh bigger problem because what ever it could be probably isn't from earth!
buck.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a question. How do you sight in a thermal scope when the only ranges you have available are daylight ranges? Most of the articles I have read seem to favor night shooting with some form of heat generator (like a hand warmer) That is all well and good but the one shot procedure for my scope has you move the reticle to where the shot hit. During the day you can't see it and at night it is too dark to see the hole.

So I have a question. How do you sight in a thermal scope when the only ranges you have available are daylight ranges? Most of the articles I have read seem to favor night shooting with some form of heat generator (like a hand warmer) That is all well and good but the one shot procedure for my scope has you move the reticle to where the shot hit. During the day you can't see it and at night it is too dark to see the hole.
Solution I use for 1 shot zero.
-Attach hand warmer over bullseye
-Shoot 1 round.
-Attach another hand warmer over the bullet hole from 1st round so you can see in the thermal where the bullet hole is
-Look thru thermal and move the crosshair “pipper” for one shot zero to be on top of the hand warmer of the bullet hole
Press enter

Shoot second round at bullseye hand warmer.
You should hit the bullseye

Edit: i do this in daylight full sun, as the hand warmer glows hotter than the surrounding area and is easy to see on any target

-Shoot 1 round.
-Attach another hand warmer over the bullet hole from 1st round so you can see in the thermal where the bullet hole is
-Look thru thermal and move the crosshair “pipper” for one shot zero to be on top of the hand warmer of the bullet hole
Press enter

Edit: i do this in daylight full sun, as the hand warmer glows hotter than the surrounding area and is easy to see on any target
Sounds like the way my buddy showed me to zero a scope if you have a sled.
Shoot 3 shots. Set scope on bull then move the crosshairs to where your 3 shots hit. Just don’t move the rifle while you’re doing it.

Sounds like the way my buddy showed me to zero a scope if you have a sled.
Shoot 3 shots. Set scope on bull then move the crosshairs to where your 3 shots hit. Just don’t move the rifle while you’re doing it.
If any of you are long ago subscribers to Shot Gun News you might remember the ads for the Shepherd Range Finding Scopes:

-Shoot 1 round.
Press enter

Thanks KF. Sounds like a plan.

Back