testtest

Below the Radar: Keeping Guns from High Risk Individuals Act

I do know that when I started contemplating selling my AR10 Savage Hunter 6.5 I talked to one of the salesman at Shoot Point Blank thinking they would help me with the transfer to the new owner. Two things I learned.
SPB does not assist in private sales.
In Kentucky there is no need to go through an FFL in a private sale/transfer of ownership of a firearm.
Very surprising.
The end result I did sell my Savage, private sale and kept information on the buyer in case something goes bad.

I do know that when I started contemplating selling my AR10 Savage Hunter 6.5 I talked to one of the salesman at Shoot Point Blank thinking they would help me with the transfer to the new owner. Two things I learned.
SPB does not assist in private sales.
In Kentucky there is no need to go through an FFL in a private sale/transfer of ownership of a firearm.
Very surprising.
The end result I did sell my Savage, private sale and kept information on the buyer in case something goes bad.
In Pa., it is legal to sell rifles and shotguns with no requirements for FFL BGC's etc. You can sell them at flea markets, gun shows, garage sales, or private one to one sales. Pistols/Revolvers are another story. Here you need to do a FFL transfer with BGC for a private sale. Gifting to family members or friends may not require this, but I'm not really up on the law where it concerns this.

Over many, many years of being a hunter, sport and competition shooter of various types of firearms and calibers/gauges, and in a state that does not require an FFL to sell or gift private firearms to private individuals and/or family, I've sold/trade/gifted many of my privately owned firearms to many private buyers .......... but not once, not even one time have I ever sold one to anyone whom I didn't know and could not vouch for personally. That one rule has allowed me to escape many nights of restless sleep.

BET7 mentioned not being certain of how the Penn law worked as far as gifting a firearm to family members. My educated guess is that unless the statute positively excludes the gifting to immediate and/or extended family, the law applies just as it does to any other private individual. I would respectfully recommend he look into it before making a bad mistake he could regret for years. Typically firearms laws are not rhetorical, but usually pretty clear and deliberate.

Just a thought to ponder.

Regards,
jumpinjoe

Thanks jumpinjoe. Truth be told, If I was ever interested in selling/gifting a firearm to family, friend, or in a private sale, rest assured that I would research how that is done. As I’ve never done so, nor intend to do so, I know little of the laws & process and wanted to make that perfectly clear.

Back