testtest

Best 3 “combat” handguns

If it were three that I own, I see nothing wrong with Hans' Honorable mentioned in no particular order:

1911's - (own several 45 & 10mm (realizing 10mm is not currently a NATO or other army (as yet I know) "combat" round): Colt Gold Cup (45), Delta Elite (10) and 1918 "Black Army" (collectors item) (45); Kimber Custom A1 SS II (45); SA TRPs (45 & 6" 10mm), and RO A1 (45)).

Browning Hi-Power - (Belgium Police trade in, Aluminum frame (collectors item)

CZ75B

Honorable Mention to replace "collectors items":

Beretta 92 - (92A1, 92A3, 92X - all similar to the M9 in overall function, etc.)

Heck, even my P08 "Black Widow" Mauser Luger, or Walther P38 Luger could apply, but like the ones above, are more collector items but all do function as intended.

If it were three that I own, I see nothing wrong with Hans' Honorable mentioned in no particular order:

1911's - (own several 45 & 10mm (realizing 10mm is not currently a NATO or other army (as yet I know) "combat" round): Colt Gold Cup (45), Delta Elite (10) and 1918 "Black Army" (collectors item) (45); Kimber Custom A1 SS II (45); SA TRPs (45 & 6" 10mm), and RO A1 (45)).

Browning Hi-Power - (Belgium Police trade in, Aluminum frame (collectors item)

CZ75B

Honorable Mention to replace "collectors items":

Beretta 92 - (92A1, 92A3, 92X - all similar to the M9 in overall function, etc.)

Heck, even my P08 "Black Widow" Mauser Luger, or Walther P38 Luger could apply, but like the ones above, are more collector items but all do function as intended.

Now, if it was pistols I actually own?

1–HK USP9 SD/Tactical w/Jet Funnel extended mags
2-Les Baer Custom Carry .45
3-HK USP45 Tactical

Runners up:
HK USP9 Expert
HK45 Tactical
Sig P226 Mk25 w/Silencerco threaded barrel
FN High Power Mk3

I would have to choose these from what I currently own:

Glock 20 10 MM
Sig 226. 9 MM
AMT Hardballer in 45 ACP

Runner up would be Glock 30 with Glock 21. 13 round 45 ACP magazine.

Sig 226 is what I carried as a duty gun for a number of years.

Except in this thread, the question was specific to handguns.

The 1911-A1 grew from the US Army's request for an effective battle handgun.

My use of the term "belt guns" was meant to refer to handguns worn openly on a pistol belt and intended for encounters out to 50 yards and normally against multiple adversaries when a rifle/carbine or other such weapon is not available. Sorry for any confusion.

I carried the 1911 in combat, a Commander LW on the job, but I think I might choose the Glock 21 if I were young enough to be in combat today. I still have misgivings about hardball 9mm (which would be required by the military) in a battlefield situation given the very poor performance I saw with the limited introduction of the brand new S&Ws many years ago.

Last edited:
I got tired of waiting for a P30L and after about 6 months i just went ahead and bought a VP9. So far i'm very impressed.
I have a P30 and a VP9. I really like the trigger on the VP9 although I prefer a hammer. A word of caution if you plan to replace the sights most manufacturer's while saying that their sights work for the VP9 do not take into account the cut for the new VP9 with optic ready and the rear sight does not fit correctly.

I have a P30 and a VP9. I really like the trigger on the VP9 although I prefer a hammer. A word of caution if you plan to replace the sights most manufacturer's while saying that their sights work for the VP9 do not take into account the cut for the new VP9 with optic ready and the rear sight does not fit correctly.

Mine is not cut for an optic. I already have a 9mm with a red dot on it ( Q5 Match) and I wanted a full size 9mm with irons for carrying. I like the luminescent 3 dot sights that came on it.

As much as I love the Model 1911-A1, especially its stellar history as a military and law enforcement handgun, I'm still of the opinion that US Military did not replace the 1911-A1 with the M9. It replaced the battle handgun, except for specialized units. The monumental advancements in military battle rifles (semiauto replicas of military weapons are not assault rifles) have caused battles handguns to become obsolete. I'd much rather carry more 30 round magazines for an H&K 416 than any handgun.

As a battle handgun, the only one of which I'm aware that was designed from the ground up to be a battle handgun was the 1911-A1 (It began life as the Model 1911.) .45 Auto. Others, especially double-action semis, were adapted for military use.

If I were in the US Military and had to carry a handgun, it would be a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto. The US Military could keep its Sig 9MM. I'd use my own Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto.

If I were still driving a black & white, I'd cajole to the best of my ability to carry my Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto. I have no clue of why sheriffs and police chiefs think that 1911-A1 has poor PR with citizens. 99.9% of people law enforcement agencies serve either are clueless of duty handguns or they don't care what handguns their cops carry. I cannot remember anyone asking questions about my duty handguns.

Back