testtest

Best and worst gun or accessory

Bought either a gun, scope, stock, ammo or any other gun accessory that had been utterly terrible or best thing in the world.

A Walther P22 and a fn ps90 have been a tie on worst purchase. They both function terrible.

As far as best purchase it's a sig p226 (357sig) and s&w core 9mm.

Ammo was monarch 9mm 115fmj wouldn't cycle very well.

Last edited:
Worst:
-Frontier 5.56 55gr - cycle issue
-Canik TP9 loan from a buddy to try - failure to function
-burris scope 3x9 - ages ago - fog up constantly
- magellan coat from Academy .. might as well wear a sock

best:
Columbia quad parka — see Magellan why
Sig LegionX5 - see canik note above
Leupold scope - see burris above
Trijicon scope - same reason

i bought budget long ago when first on my own. Learned quick on some items, you get what you pay for. Vowed after being wet, cold and miserable on a deer hunt that I missed a shot, I would have excellent clothes and equipment from then on when afield

I once bought a plastic brass catcher for the 1911.
You know, I don't remember what happened to that!
I also bought an original Lee Loader for the 44 Magnum. That lasted for one session before I put it in permanent storage.
That was when I ordered my Dillon RL550 (now a "C" model). That was indeed some of the best money I ever spent on anything!
One of the best firearms I ever purchased was a Ruger Mark 1 Standard Model 22. It was sledgehammer reliable and as accurate as looking at something. It may only be surpassed by my Ruger #1 in 375 H&H.

Savage 110FP in .308 . I bought this at a Walmart 25 years ago maybe. Only paid $250 or so. Got a set of rings and a Redfield 3X9X40. That thing was the absolute straightest thing i ever fired. I just had to have a "pre-ban" AR. So i traded it for an Olympic. The whole thing was garbage front to back. So, I traded my best long gun (at the time) for my worst. How's that for stoopid?

Savage 110FP in .308 . I bought this at a Walmart 25 years ago maybe. Only paid $250 or so. Got a set of rings and a Redfield 3X9X40. That thing was the absolute straightest thing i ever fired. I just had to have a "pre-ban" AR. So i traded it for an Olympic. The whole thing was garbage front to back. So, I traded my best long gun (at the time) for my worst. How's that for stoopid?
You reminded me of a very bad complete upper, Olympic 10mm and the mags were horrible. The worst compared to the worst I listed above!

Best black brown and tan wool camo from Carhartt, best pattern I have ever worn.

Worst a Winchester brand waterproof hunting coat, thing was like wearing a sauna it simply did not breath at all.

Best, a cheap jc Higgins 12 Guage that I simply never miss with for some reason. Never lost a turkey shoot with it.

Worst Remington 870, yeah I know it's got a great reputation but this one was a jamomatic I never could get to run right.

Last edited:
Best black brown and tan wool camo from Carhartt, best pattern I have ever worn.

Worst a Winchester brand waterproof hunting coat, thing was like wearing a sauna it simply did not breath at all.

Best, a cheap jc Higgins 12 Guage that I simply never miss with for some reason. Never lost a turkey shoot with it.

Worst Remington 870, yeah I know it's got a great reputation but this one was a jamomatic I never could get to run right.

I have a great dislike for the Remington 870. Can't put my finger on why exactly. I just don't like them.

Bought either a gun, scope, stock, ammo or any other gun accessory that had been utterly terrible or best thing in the world.

A Walther P22 and a fn ps90 have been a tie on worst purchase. They both function terrible.

As far as best purchase it's a sig p226 (357sig) and s&w core 9mm.

Ammo was monarch 9mm 115fmj wouldn't cycle very well.
Worst gun Smith &Wesson M&P 40
Worst accessory Serpa holster
Best Gun Springfield Ronan 9 mm

Worst Gun: Ruger Charger Pistol. I've upgraded every possible part of the gun and magazines, and that gun still can't make it through a 15 or 25 round magazine without a failure. This really surprised me because all of my other Ruger guns have been exceptional. Walther CCP M2 is a close second. It's horribly inaccurate and had to be sent back to Walther for reliability issues. At least the Walther was reliable when it came back from the factory (but I still can't shoot it worth a damn).

Worst Accessory: Licensed Ameriglo night sights for my Beretta APX Centurion. The first set snapped when my gunsmith attempted to install them. The tritium failed on the replacement they sent, which didn't even match the original sight. Some people want to blame this on the gunsmith, but he's been in town for decades, has an excellent reputation, and has done flawless work on several of my guns over the years. If only one type of sight gives him problems, I tend to believe the sight is poorly designed.

Best Gun: Pretty much everything else I own. As long as it goes bang when it's supposed to, and doesn't go bang when it's not supposed to, I'm a happy camper. A gun has to be pretty horrible for me not to like it.

Best Accessory: Sticky Holsters. I own many great accessories, but the Sticky Holster stands out because I was sure that it was just a gimmick. The holsters actually work, are incredibly comfortable, and are very affordable. They are my go-to holster for pocket or IWB carry when walking/jogging/running/working outside.

Back