testtest

Best Deer Hunting Rifle:

The article did pay some attention to the differing terrain and yardage.

I shot my first deer with a M1 Carbine in Wisconsin. Living in Illinois and given the laws, my long gun is a Remington Special Field in 20 gauge with a rifled barrel. I also use a Ruger .44 magnum Super Blackhawk Hunter with the barrel shortened to 5" in handgun season. I have also taken many deer with a Ruger .44 magnum carbine in other midwest states. Any of these work well at 100 yard distances or less.

Out West with the greater distances and larger Mule deer, I use my Sako bolt action .270, mostly because I don't have one in lesser caliber.

Totally subjective obviously. You guys are clearly referring to YOUR favorite deer guns. Not the best. There is no best. Your .270, .243, .22-250, whatever up against my Remington 7400 30-06 at say 500 yards, my deer is going to be just as dead and I won’t have to track it down. ;-)

The title seems to imply that the AR and the Bolt Action are the only choices. I guess the author forgot about the insane number of hunters who have taken who knows how many deer with their 30-30 lever-actions, or any other caliber levergun for that matter. They may have lost a little popularity, but I figured they would've at least been mentioned.

Best anything is totally subjective.

My opinion is the Sako AV is the best hunting rifle ever manufactured, including original Mauser 98 rifles that go for 15+k.

I've never been impressed with Mauser 98 action rifles. I know that that's tantamount to heresy, but I've yet to see any Mauser 98 action rifle come close to accuracy of my Sako AV rifles.

My 45+ year-old Model 700 .270 Win will shoot circles around 98 action rifles.

Anyway, hunters have to buy hunting rifles that are perfect for them, not perfect for an entertainer (gun magazine writer).

Back