testtest

Best powder for .45 ACP

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I'm going to make a batch of .45 this weekend. I have a good source for Power Pistol, Unique, Bullseye and 231. This will be for 230 ball and 100 230gr hollowpoint solid base Gold Dots. What powder do you prefer for those loads?

I have used it for 230gr, I mostly used unique and 231, now if you were going to use 200gr hard cast, I preferred 231 myself.

I'm looking for the best powder for .45 ACP 230gr ball and 230gr Gold Dot hollowpoint solid base. I'll be shooting out of a Kimber 1911 and a HK45. More likely the HK for the hollowpoints. I'd like to not have it go overpressure. For the ball ammo regular factory spec is fine, I don't need 900+ fps. For the hollowpoint my primary concern is over penetration, so I'd like it to be at a velocity that will cause the damage I need if I ever need it (dear God I hope it doesn't ever come to that) but won't hit a person behind my target. It doesn't need to be match level accuracy, since the HK isn't a match pistol; it just needs to reliably hit a torso at 10-12 yards.

The HK45 is full sized, but I'm a big guy so I think I could haul it around. If I have to go with a 9mm or .40 I have some smaller ones that already have plenty of self-defense ammo.

The HK45 is full sized, but I'm a big guy so I think I could haul it around. If I have to go with a 9mm or .40 I have some smaller ones that already have plenty of self-defense ammo.
Go on the speer website or your book if you have 1 for load data. I usually use blue dot or hs-6. I did some load development with unique and it was very dirty!

Back