testtest

Boomsticks

Ginge

Elite
Well, I got the ol boomsticks out a few days ago and it rekindled my love affair with them. I know you guys got some, even if they’re in their factory configuration. Lets see them! Heres a few of mine.

Here is my Mossberg 590 Shockwave. It has a mag cap spike from Black Aces. The furniture is a very limited set of birdseye maple. This is 1 of 34 sets made for these guns.
C7C8CEFB-0566-4BC1-806E-8C9A7D339E24.jpeg

7684210D-FB0A-42EB-864C-48E645D7D554.jpeg

F978E639-F177-42EA-97B4-F751412EF9E8.jpeg

Heres my Remington Tac 14, its still a work in progress. She currently has the RailScales matrix G10 grip panels, a 870 police trigger plate assembly, stainless follower from Brownells, a volquartsen extractor and an extra power Wolf spring. Im going to port the barrel, add some leather and tap the receiver for an MRO.
5782394A-5192-44B5-BFAD-9466FE6CEB61.jpeg

E2CB2725-A1F4-4C05-B72D-AB3E496B8AC5.jpeg

This is a Mossberg 500 persuader I refinished a few years back. It has a knoxx recoil stock, a surefire quad rail forend, mesa optics rail and a troy industries adaptable grip.
73DF8310-76F8-46E5-AE8A-6CC2FE76EB25.jpeg

My Molot Vepr 12. The first batch of these that came into the US had the fixed stock. This was one of them. Seen here with a 12rd SGM magazine.
F6DCF4D3-03EF-4DB4-B829-A1B6D2530A8A.jpeg

Nice looking weapons.

I was never a shotgun fan until I started 3-gun. Then I grew to love them. Nothing like mowing down some flippers with a twelve gauge as fast as you can, and then dual or quad loading to do it all over again.

Those street sweepers look bad ass, and fun too.
Im particularly diggin' on the Mossbergs. Call me old fashioned,but I prrfer my shotguns with butt stocks. Ive never shot the stubbies,though. No doubt I would enjoy it.
Thanks! 💪🏻 Im contemplating buying another model of the 590 shockwave just for the barrel alone. The model Im wanting is the one with a breacher barrel and the heat shield. It is still a heavy walled barrel, so the interesting thing is that particular model, and the 590a1 retro are the only two that have a heavy barrel with a heat shield. The heat shields that mossberg sells dont fit on the heavy barrels, only their standards. Im kinda torn on what one I prefer. I wish I could mate the two together.

The heavy barrels on mossbergs stem from a military requirement. The Navy wanted the barrels thicker to resist damage from being banged around on ships and from harder use in general. They are substantially thicker than lets say an 870 barrel.
F779262E-E330-4577-BEBC-533635B7F0E9.jpeg

Now an 870 barrel aint really a slouch either, as its thicker than a standard 500 barrel.
The current heat shields available through Mossberg do not fig the heavy walled barrels, only their thin ones on the 500 series. The Mossberg heat shield is the best one that Ive seen firsthand in both appearance and function. But thats why I was wanting that particular model of shockwave, cuz you’re Not only getting the 14” factory heavy barrel, But a heat shield installed on it from the factory. Its a win win!

This is the model I want to rob the barrel from to put on my 590 with the birdseye maple.
Today I also bought the 590A1 alloy trigger assembly and safety button from Brownells. This will bring my Shockwave up to 590A1 specs.

Back when Pluto was a pup, I first started in law enforcement, I worked in my home town PD. Partner and I responded to a big fight at a wedding reception. Neighboring PD backed us up. One of the officers walked in carrying a double barrel, dual hammer 12 guage that had cut off at the pistol grip and just in front of the forend. Now that was a Boom Stick. He cocked both hammers and you could have heard a pin drop. ;)

Back when Pluto was a pup, I first started in law enforcement, I worked in my home town PD. Partner and I responded to a big fight at a wedding reception. Neighboring PD backed us up. One of the officers walked in carrying a double barrel, dual hammer 12 guage that had cut off at the pistol grip and just in front of the forend. Now that was a Boom Stick. He cocked both hammers and you could have heard a pin drop. ;)
Nice. Its hard to argue with a .73 caliber weapon. 😂
The closest thing I have to that is an old crescent sidexside. I dont think I can shoot modern shells through it though.
9C0CE1CD-8348-4659-A732-04B7FC603579.jpeg

The stock is also cracked. I believe it was late 20’s manufacturing.

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart...... YOU GOT THAT?!!!"

OK, so, I'm a lover of the gauge - that said, I wish I had more gauges/better ones. But I'll offer up my very humble two (the usual 870 and Saiga 12), when I get a chance to snap a couple of pix.

The heavy barrels on mossbergs stem from a military requirement. The Navy wanted the barrels thicker to resist damage from being banged around on ships and from harder use in general. They are substantially thicker than lets say an 870 barrel.
View attachment 1830

Now an 870 barrel aint really a slouch either, as its thicker than a standard 500 barrel.
The current heat shields available through Mossberg do not fig the heavy walled barrels, only their thin ones on the 500 series. The Mossberg heat shield is the best one that Ive seen firsthand in both appearance and function. But thats why I was wanting that particular model of shockwave, cuz you’re Not only getting the 14” factory heavy barrel, But a heat shield installed on it from the factory. Its a win win!
Good insight!

Thanks for the awesome bit of info!

I have either a shockwave or tac 14 on the future purchase list. That Birdseye maple is a thing of beauty!😍

Nice. They’re both relatively inexpensive compared to their full size brethren. Just remember with the Tac14, it will be an express 870. That isn’t really a bad thing in and of itself, but there are some things Remington did to cheapen the production, and the weapon did suffer slightly because of it. Heres is the 411 on that.
Receiver:
Remington wanted to bring the price down to boost sales. So they had to cheapen the production process. The express models do indeed utilize the same receiver as the wingmaster and police, but it doesn’t go all the way through the finishing process like the other two models do. I can assure you that having refinished numerous wingmasters over the years, that tool and machine marks are still present on the nicer models, but they have been refined further and have a better finish to the point that it’s rarely seen by the customer.
Heres an example of the tooling marks.
57B7CC7F-8129-4ECE-90DA-85FE9B0E558D.jpeg

The extractor:
The newer versions are currently mim, and have been for a while now. Some of them work great. But for many, they exhibit poor performance. Not exactly something the 870 has been known for. Since the 870 design has a single extractor, this was literally a splitting hairs decision on Remingtons part. It serves no valuable purpose to have two completely different parts for several models of product. Stick to either the factory milled extractor, or the Volquartsen. I like the latter on that, bit either way save the mim one incase a replacement is needed.
Factory mim part.
D3B29174-500F-4EFD-8CB8-E80421709772.jpeg

Notice the line in it. Its a dead giveaway of the mim extractor.
44B65ECF-A862-4D43-8CE3-CAFEA9ECC99A.jpeg

Mag tube:
This change is annoying. They dimpled the end of the mag tube and put a plastic spring retainer in its place. It’s annoying, but an easy fix. Either leave like it is, or drill them out when installing an extension. I dont wanna use a socket and hammer on it like some have. I just drill it. The holes will be covered by the barrel band anyways, and not much dirt will get down there anyways. Plus its worth cleaning when stripping the gun. They also use a cheap plastic follower now too. Replace it with one that is slotted to clear the dimples and your fine.
The dimples.
1F1E34EF-D3F3-47C4-9B72-FF632C96DC2B.jpeg

Trigger:
The current trigger assembly is a polymer unit with metal parts and does have a relatively light pull. I replace mine with either the blued or parkerized finish of the police models.
Heres the polymer unit
CA1B0EBD-CD15-4019-939C-07DD73C3D758.jpeg

7567F3EB-D2EA-4196-BDE7-A05948B0C953.jpeg

And heres the blued police unit
43993406-9821-4350-A276-D03A1A310FD1.jpeg

CF4608B3-483D-44B5-8E2E-42F744A596B1.jpeg

I currently have the parkerized police unit installed.
9CC19457-6B76-4115-997C-E5DD2F4E601E.jpeg

Honestly, these upgrades will bring them pretty dang close to the better models, if you so desire to do so. None of these have to be done, but I like informing people that they indeed are not as crappy as they think. Theres very few changes, and people get touchy when it comes to the 870. Hope this helps!

Nice. They’re both relatively inexpensive compared to their full size brethren. Just remember with the Tac14, it will be an express 870. That isn’t really a bad thing in and of itself, but there are some things Remington did to cheapen the production, and the weapon did suffer slightly because of it. Heres is the 411 on that.
Receiver:
Remington wanted to bring the price down to boost sales. So they had to cheapen the production process. The express models do indeed utilize the same receiver as the wingmaster and police, but it doesn’t go all the way through the finishing process like the other two models do. I can assure you that having refinished numerous wingmasters over the years, that tool and machine marks are still present on the nicer models, but they have been refined further and have a better finish to the point that it’s rarely seen by the customer.
Heres an example of the tooling marks.
View attachment 1869

The extractor:
The newer versions are currently mim, and have been for a while now. Some of them work great. But for many, they exhibit poor performance. Not exactly something the 870 has been known for. Since the 870 design has a single extractor, this was literally a splitting hairs decision on Remingtons part. It serves no valuable purpose to have two completely different parts for several models of product. Stick to either the factory milled extractor, or the Volquartsen. I like the latter on that, bit either way save the mim one incase a replacement is needed.
Factory mim part.
View attachment 1870
Notice the line in it. Its a dead giveaway of the mim extractor.
View attachment 1871
Mag tube:
This change is annoying. They dimpled the end of the mag tube and put a plastic spring retainer in its place. It’s annoying, but an easy fix. Either leave like it is, or drill them out when installing an extension. I dont wanna use a socket and hammer on it like some have. I just drill it. The holes will be covered by the barrel band anyways, and not much dirt will get down there anyways. Plus its worth cleaning when stripping the gun. They also use a cheap plastic follower now too. Replace it with one that is slotted to clear the dimples and your fine.
The dimples.
View attachment 1872
Trigger:
The current trigger assembly is a polymer unit with metal parts and does have a relatively light pull. I replace mine with either the blued or parkerized finish of the police models.
Heres the polymer unit
View attachment 1873
View attachment 1874
And heres the blued police unit
View attachment 1875
View attachment 1876
I currently have the parkerized police unit installed.
View attachment 1877

Honestly, these upgrades will bring them pretty dang close to the better models, if you so desire to do so. None of these have to be done, but I like informing people that they indeed are not as crappy as they think. Theres very few changes, and people get touchy when it comes to the 870. Hope this helps!
Sounds like the shockwave is the better choice. Awesome breakdown @Ginge

Back